The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,049

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I find it unbelievable how I couldn't find an appreciation thread for these uniquely balanced closed cans. I am not saying uniquely balanced meaning that they have a weird unique balance on their own although they do but I say this because It is rare among closed headphones to find something that sounds as balanced as these. I have the 250 ohm version by the way and even out of a JDSlabs CMOY plugged into the wall, they are Brilliant!!!

To the people that appreciate how good these cans are, please post your experiences with them. To those who don't like them, pleae post what about them you didn't like and which other cans you have or heard that are better than them. I know lots of much more expensive cans can be better but for a closed can to sound this good at this price? Its amazing! I like these even more than any expensive d5000/d7000 based creature :)

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 1,049
I had 2 pairs of DT250 which i used as my portables. They were pretty much the best portable headphones i have used but size become and issue so i went to IEMs. Shame i don't have them anymore :frowning2:

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 1,049
I like the DT250 very much, they are probably the best studio monitors out there due to how flat they are. Certainly, there are even clearer headphones out there but they cost way more and for most studio applications, you really don't want to use very expensive equipment that can damage easily...

My only issue is that they are not truly circumaural and like the Sony MDR-7506, they partly rest on the ears and not around them. This makes them uncomfortable to use (for me) for extended periods of time. Its a shame really, as they would probably be the only headphone I'd need otherwise...

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 1,049
these are one of the first headphones i ever got. i got these at the same time i got my dt770, i prefer dt250 way more. i hate the dt770!
i have the 80ohm version of the dt250, is there much difference between these and the 250ohm version?

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 1,049
Those differences could be a difference in the sound, or just a difference in how that amp interacts with 80 and 250 ohm headphones.

Having owned both (though not at the same time), I'd have to say they seem pretty similar.  The graphs seem about right, though, in that I found the 250 a bit more flat, and the 80 a bit more fun.

Emphasis on "a bit"

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 1,049

Quote:
Those differences could be a difference in the sound, or just a difference in how that amp interacts with 80 and 250 ohm headphones.

Having owned both (though not at the same time), I'd have to say they seem pretty similar.  The graphs seem about right, though, in that I found the 250 a bit more flat, and the 80 a bit more fun.

Emphasis on "a bit"

Very possible on the amp interaction part. I just got the 250 ohm version though because I plan to play with some OTL tube amps soon and wouldn't want to get a separate amp for a low impedance can and a high impedance can. I figure the 250 ohm version will work with mostly anything that works well with my 300 ohm hd600s.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 1,049
Had the 80 ohm version and it sounded very 'flat' with a bit of a bass hump, but not huge...treble was rolled off compared to my k240DF. Sorry I never got to try the 250 ohm version. I definitely would have kept them if they folded up....stuck with the v6 because of that alone. Anyone compare the sound of the dt250 with the shure 840?  

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 1,049
I had the shure 840 before and it did nothing for me. It sounded bloated in the midbass and the highs around 8 to 10khz were sharp. Its got nothing on these in terms of naturalness and musicality IMO. I haven't heard the 80 ohm version though.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 1,049

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My only issue is that they are not truly circumaural and like the Sony MDR-7506, they partly rest on the ears and not around them. This makes them uncomfortable to use (for me) for extended periods of time. Its a shame really, as they would probably be the only headphone I'd need otherwise...

Hmmm that's worrisome, I was hoping that they'd be completely circumaural. Now keeping tabs on this thread...my DT150's are keepers, but if these can be their portable little brothers with a similar tonality, I'd be sold on them.
normal_smile .gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 1,049
Actually when using the dt100 velours on the dt150 without the inner foam, the sound quality is almost exactly like an eq'd version of the dt250 from my memory of the 150s :).

EDIT: Think of it this way...DT150 with dt100 velour pads with no inner foam=hd650 as the dt250-250=hd600 in their differences sort of except add the beyer sound to both of them. This is not the dt880/dt990/dt770 recessed midrange sound though as you already know with your dt150s.

Hmm so far as the ears going in, my ears still have an allowance around them inside the pads. Think Sony V6/7506 Chris. I think the pads on these are interchangeable with the v6.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 1,049

Quote:
I had the shure 840 before and it did nothing for me. It sounded bloated in the midbass and the highs around 8 to 10khz were sharp. Its got nothing on these in terms of naturalness and musicality IMO. I haven't heard the 80 ohm version though.

I'm surprised to hear you didn't like the 840. I've read so many good reviews, especially about the mids. I have read about the harsh treble though. The dt250 80ohm is a bit weak there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back