The best of both worlds, the iTunes interface with foobar as a backend.
Nov 23, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #46 of 112
Whenever I try using the foobar pass-through, it always skips to the next track early, as if it thinks the current song is shorter than it actually is. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #48 of 112
Quote:

Maybe it's just because I've been listening exclusively from my iPod for a few weeks, but now my computer seems WAY more bassy.

That's because it is. Or more accurately, you're ipod is less bassy than it should be.

What really surprises me about all this is the "quality" issue. Many users are concerned about apparent "quality" when they're using lossy formats--mp3, wma, mac formats. Emperor's new clothes...

Nov 24, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #49 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Itunes on the PC does not use kernel streaming or ASIO and as a consequence does not play music with full fidelity.

If you can route the audio data through foobar this would open the possibility of bit perfect playback with itunes.

But surely this is only achievable if you are using MP3 or WAV files? The former bringing in some compromise in sound quality, the latter introducing its own compromises.

Really wish this arrangement could handle Apple Lossless. Is this ever likely to happen?

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryangs
Whenever I try using the foobar pass-through, it always skips to the next track early, as if it thinks the current song is shorter than it actually is. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have had this same problem. Most of the time it is only a second or 2, but on some songs it is still noticable. Anyone know why this could be?

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #51 of 112
To eliminate that "gap" you need to enable "crossfade playback" and put it to ZERO in the preferences.

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #52 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johto
To eliminate that "gap" you need to enable "crossfade playback" and put it to ZERO in the preferences.

Yeah... I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #53 of 112
Well, I checked it out and at first this seemed to be a very nice solution...

For some reason I experienced a sound quality difference between foobar and itunes with the passthrough enabled. It seems to be gone now.

I don't know if anybody else had this. I'm starting to think it was my imagination.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that Itunes is still way to slow and unable to handle a 30gb music collection.

I am using Media Center 11 atm. It's so much better. It currently supports 100.000 files and ASIO, no kernel streaming as far as I know.

There is a full version trial available.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #54 of 112
I also get the same error message "Foobar is not installed" but even changing to the primary device (I had Kernel Stream) in Foobar, the multiplugin at iTunes still gives me the error of saying that Foobar is not installed and that passthrough is not active.

I installed the multiplugin and foobar v.9. This version does not allow ASIO. (Anyone knows how to make Foobar v.9 run ASIO?) But I can't get the passthrough option to work.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johto
Ok, what am i doing wrong, i completely uninstalled Itunes, then installed the newest Itunes again, then installed the multi-plugin. It shows up on the Itunes preferences but i am not able to enable the foobar pass-through because it either complains about "access privileges" or "foobar is not installed" my foobar is the 8.0.3 special edition and it is installed in the default directory c:\program files\foobar2000.
confused.gif

This is the error message i get after checking the foobar pass-through and hitting OK button:

I tried to run itunes as "administrator" and i get the same error plus this:

pdate: ok i got it fixed, the problem was, that i have two cards, and wanted to use the secondary card(juli@) with asio(not the default playback) for the foobar/itunes...i had to switch the asio card to primary for the multi-plugin to "remember" the settings, after that i was able to switch it back to the secondary and it still uses it fine. Huh that was strange
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #55 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by hernandjosep
I also get the same error message "Foobar is not installed" but even changing to the primary device (I had Kernel Stream) in Foobar, the multiplugin at iTunes still gives me the error of saying that Foobar is not installed and that passthrough is not active.

I installed the multiplugin and foobar v.9. This version does not allow ASIO. (Anyone knows how to make Foobar v.9 run ASIO?) But I can't get the passthrough option to work.

Thanks.

multiplugin is not yet compatible with foobar v.9

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #56 of 112
I actually prefer the Foobar GUI. I like iTunes too but to me, FOOBAR is no nonsense and puts everything right there for you to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back