The best of both worlds, the iTunes interface with foobar as a backend.
Dec 1, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #106 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's probably a more efficient way to do it, but I just created new keys in the appropriate place with the identical names and values.

Ditto. I got tired of iTunes skipping on me while I surfed the internet. With the Foobar passthrough, no more skipping. hehe

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #107 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it working too. I had to copy the registry keys from hkey local machine- software- foobar to hkey current user- software- foobar to get itunes to recognize that foobar was installed.

How do I do that? I did it before (if you read the thread you'd know), but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it anymore.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #108 of 112
I head no idea this thread was going to be come such an epic when I originally created it.
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #109 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I head no idea this thread was going to be come such an epic when I originally created it.
tongue.gif

I just Kernal Stream with FooBar, and said the heck with the pretty itunes GUI. a LOT less fuss.

check this out :

mind you its from nearly 3 years ago, but has some good info on foobar and getting the best sound you can with out having to jump through the itune hoops, posted by zemo. hope it will help some of you, it helped me KS via foobar is better indeed in my setup. mind you some links I tried were still good some were not, search on jux2.com for foobar and you may find what your missing.

[size=medium]The Ultimate Guide To Foobar[/size]

Quote:

Step 1: Download the foobar installer: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze559m7/...8.2_special.exe

Step 2: Run the installation and accept the default associations, assuming you’ve never installed foobar before. If you have, just make sure that the Kernal Streaming component gets installed. (try to do a FULL install)

Step 3: Download the ID3V2 tag support component: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze559m7/foo_id3v2.zip
-extract the .dll file to your C:\program files\foobar2000\components folder.

Step 4: Open foobar, checking that 0.8.2 does load and select Foobar2000 > Preferences

Starting at the top… (I’m only gonna tell you which ones to edit, so try to keep up!)

>Album List
-click “add new” (its up in the top right in the Views area)
-type “By Zemo” and copy/paste this code into the window:

$directory(%_path%)|$if2([$num(%tracknumber%,2). ]$ifgreater($strstr($directory(%_path%),[%artist%]),0,,[%artist% - ])[%title%],%_filename%)

>Core
>Keyboard Shortcuts
-Remove all entries in the upper pane
-find these commands and set a global hotkey to them of your choice by highlighting the command, entering in the key or key combination in the window below, checking the “global” box, and hitting the “add” button:

[main] components/album list
[main] playback/next or random
[main] playback/play or pause
[main] playback/previous
[main] playback/stop

I use:
Ctrl+F7 [g] [main] components/album list
Ctrl+alt+F7 [g] [main] Foobar2000/activate or hide
F5 [g] [main] playback/previous
F6 [g] [main] playback/next or random
F7 [g] [main] playback/play or pause
F8 [g] [main] playback/stop
Ctrl+F8 [g] [main] playlist/clear

(feel free to add other keyboard shortcuts if you so desire)

>Database
-check the “Database Enabled” box
-in the “restrict directories to” box, type in your music filled folders, separating pathnames with a semi-colon. i.e. (no quotes) “D:\Uberized Downloads;E:\Uberized Rips”

-in the “restrict file types to” box, type in “*.mp3”

>Playback
-set “output data format” to the highest your card will support. If you don’t know, set it to 24bit. If sound doesn’t work when you hit play, change it to 16bit.
-check the “Dither” box, and set it to whichever sounds best (FIY – Strong ATH sounds best…)

>DSP Manager
-Remove all components from the left pane
-Move “resampler (ssrc)” to the left pane
-Move “advanced limiter” to the left pane
(as was suggested earlier in this thread, feel free to use the crossfeed DSP if you're using headphones. It may help spacial positioning, but I don't like it...my amp accounts for that!)

>Resampler
-set target sample rate to 48000Hz
(NOT to 192000 or anything like that. The reasoning is that all 10k2 based cards (as all creative cards are...audigy, audigy 2, etc, as well as all AC'97 cards, wich include nearly everything onboard, etc) resample EVERYTHING to 48000Hz in the hardware. So it wouldn't matter what samplerate you set it to, it's all being turned to 48000Hz. BUT, a problem arises....the hardware resampler does a crappy job. The solution is to set a GOOD software resampler (like the SSRC algorithm....included in foobar) to resample to 48000Hz, therefore bypassing the hardware resampler.

>Playback
>Input
>Standard Inputs
-set “tag type to write” to ID3V2 and ID3V1 (VERY IMPORTANT)
>Output
-Select Kernal Streaming

Step 5: drag and drop some mp3 into the main window. Hit play. Foobar will warn you that kernel streaming is experimental. Hide that window, and hit play again. If it still won’t play, lower your format type to 16bit (preferences > playback)

Step 6: drag and drop your mp3 folders into foobar’s main window. It will take a while if you have large folders.

Step 7: Close foobar and re-open. Go to components > album list (or use the hotkey you assigned), and select “by Zemo” at the bottom.

Step 8: highlight some album or track or whatever, and click “send to playlist” to erase the current playlist and begin playing the new selection immediately. Click “add to playlist” to append the selection to the end of the current playlist.

Now to do something about that ugly foobar look…

-visit http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/fb2k/index.php and find a look that suits your taste.

-Go to preferences > Default user interface, and set the fonts and colors like the formatting page tells you to.

-Go to “title formatting” and overwrite the code on each tab with the ones from the formatting page (it should be fairly obvious)

-if you want to use “foo_looks” (like winamp skins) check out http://www.btinternet.com/~sean.m.kelly/foo_looks/, and follow the guide at http://www.btinternet.com/%7esean.m...ks/install.htm. (skins are at http://www.btinternet.com/~sean.m.k...oks/gallery.htm)

Congratulations, you now have access to the most powerful audio player known to man!

Time to go all the way.....

If you're going to use foobar, you obviously care about sound. What's the next step in making your setup sound better? Ditch those bloated, bug ridden, and dorky creative supplied drivers or stock drivers!!! There is a 3rd party set of drivers for all 10k2 based cards (a list of supported cards is at http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/faq.php?language=en#Q15)

The Kx drivers will make your sound clearer, more punchy, tighter bass, etc...plus they'll give you a LOT more control over your sound. The one drawback I can see is that they don't currently (as far as I know) have EAX support...so for you people who live for the sound of guitars played underwater, I'm sorry. Also, they are a little tricky to learn at first....

You can get 'em here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?language=en

I can't really help you any further than that with Kx drivers, as I don't use them myself (my soundcard is beyond needing them).

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #110 of 112
well I took the chance and tried this Multi-Plugin approach . I must say it sounds VERY nice.

I have one question.

is there anyway to make this iTunes, Multi-Plugin, Foobar2000 playing process use less memory?

All three of these processes take a LOT of memory combined, unbelievable to me is that the multiplugin actually uses more memory then foobar. The memory use is Just about the same as a video game. YIKES!!!

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #111 of 112
Just wanted to make mention that a new Multi-Plugin is available. 2.5.1 Comes with Skins and seems to fix some of the pass-through problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back