The best of both worlds, the iTunes interface with foobar as a backend.
Oct 12, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #91 of 112
Check nfusion's post above re: copying a registry key. That'll solve your problem.

I had mine working fine until last night. Tried to play a song like normal, and it appeared to start playing but no output. So I closed iTunes, started foobar, and got an error message along the lines of "Expected 2 channels, got 18." I've got no idea what to make of that.

Might be related to a problem that I've been having with the X-Fi Mode Changer applet (the 3rd-party one, not Creative's junk). I can do anything with it except switch into Audio Creation mode. When I try that, it freezes completely and uses 100% of my CPU (more accurately, 50% of a dual-core chip). When I close the process in the task manager, I can't reopen it -- it drops right back into that frozen loop. Weirdly, though, it actually does succeed in activating Audio Creation mode at some point before it locks up. And weirder still, if I boot up in Audio Creation mode, it works fine, unless I switch to another mode and try to switch back again.

Well, that was thoroughly OT. Anyway, anybody knows what's wrong with my foobar install?

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #92 of 112
What I think you need to do is map the channels in foobar.

If you go to "ASIO virtual devices" under preferences and double click "Creative ASIO" ,you can map the left and right channels there and that should do the trick.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #93 of 112
I honestly don't understand what's so complicated about foobar. I'm not a savvy computer user and I have set it up without help.

It looks nice and clean as well.

running foobar through winamp is pointless and a waste of resources IMO.

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #94 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken
I honestly don't understand what's so complicated about foobar. I'm not a savvy computer user and I have set it up without help.

It looks nice and clean as well.

running foobar through winamp is pointless and a waste of resources IMO.

It may just be orientation - meaning if someone is accustomed/oriented to iTunes - the first thing they may do in Foobar is go to the menu and say where is the Create dynamic playlist menu option? Where is the xyz? And so it becomes complex.

On the iTunes-> Foobar passthrough the difficulty is the iTunes installation. For the latest version of foobar it needs iTunes to be in a certain state - sometimes it will not install (or install correctly)- so you may need to uninstall iTunes and then reinstall it- but it's not that simple - sometimes iTunes leaves preferences and other files after being uninstalled and so you need to go through manually and delete all the iTunes folders and sometimes that does not work (I am speaking from experience and I am in the IT field).

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #95 of 112
heh I completed all the steps with my registry editing and all... loaded the multi plugin enabled the passthrough, restarted itunes... now it wont start. It just crashes before it even opens.

edit: I have the worst luck... nothing ever works right. So if I right click an mp3 and hit open in itunes it allows itunes to run. but it wasnt using fubar. I go check the settings and the foobar passthrough is disabled. Ok so I re enable it, hit ok. Still nothing. I go back into the options and its unchecked What... close it out and try to start itunes from its executable and not from an mp3... still crashes. uggggghhh

edit 2: I reinstalled iTunes and it no longer crashes when I try to run it, but the use foobar passthrough option still wont stay checked. I check it, it gives me a warning to be sure I dont use foobar and itunes at the same time. I ok that and if I go back in its unchecked again.

edit 3: here is a quote from the help.txt for the plugin

Quote:

Foobar2000 passthrough:
Note: This feature is temporarily not working.
Using this option will make iTunes play sound through the Foobar2000 engine.
You must have Foobar2000 0.8.3 or later for it to work.
This feature improves the sound quality, but it has several limitations:
1. Foobar2000 will not run simultaneously with iTunes when this option is enabled.
2. All the iTunes sound processing features will do nothing as long as this option is enabled.
3. After checking this option for the first time, you might hear an echo when listening to music. Restart iTunes to fix it.
You may include |No Foobar2000| in the Comments tag of a track to force it to play using the default engine.
This way it's possible to play tracks from the Music Store while Foobar2000 passthrough is enabled.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #96 of 112
Hmmm. That's really weird. I can't be of any help, I'm afraid.

Sooooo...back to the ASIO/kernel streaming issue. If I've selected kernel streaming under foobar's output options, how should I configure the X-Fi Audio Creation console? Does it matter if I enable or disable ASIO? Any disadvantage to selecting 44.1khz for the master sampling rate as opposed to the stock 48?

Also, in foobar, is there any reason to select a certain bit depth for the output format (i.e. 16- or 24-bit)?

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #97 of 112
This is great!!! I have a Chaintech AV-710. There's a noticeable improvement. But then again it could just be placebo effect.

I tested for bitperfect output by loading a DTS test file (http://www.sr.se/laddahem/MultiKanal...EST_011212.zip) into iTunes and it played perfectly on my AV receiver. Here's what I did:

1. Installed iTunes
2. Installed Foobar .9.4.1
3. Got Foobar KS plugin from here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/index.html
4. Open Foobar. File > Preferences > Playback > Output > select KS as the output device.
5. Open iTunes. Edit > Preferences > Multi-Plugin > Other > Check "Foobar2000 passthrough"

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #98 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022
Jahn, the multiplugin has a feature to bypass the passthrough for those songs:

You may include |No Foobar2000| in the Comments tag of a track to force it to play using the default engine.
This way it's possible to play tracks from the Music Store while Foobar2000 passthrough is enabled.

This way you could have your cake and eat it too...or something like that.

That is just awesome. Must try this when the Tower is reconstructed, thanks for the heads-up!

Nov 1, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #99 of 112
woot version 2.4 of the multi plugin worked
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread... this sucks
frown.gif
I thought with it using foobar as the backend it would play FLAC.... nope grrr

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #100 of 112
This might be a stupid question, but I have not seen any information about it yet. Does this multiplugin allow me to play FLAC files with the itunes interface? I have everything installed and working correctly, but I can not add FLAC files to itunes. I keep hearing how much better FLAC is, but I will have a tough time giving up the ease of itunes. Thanks

EDIT - Ive been reading the thread about it not supporting FLAC. Im not as happy now

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #101 of 112
Thread resurrection!

This is driving me nuts: I'm listening to some vocal stuff, and in the particularly strident bits foobar clips like crazy even with the advanced limiter enabled. Is there any way to deal with this? The foobar SQ is lightyears better than iTunes for this stuff...until the clipping on the crescendos.
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #102 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
Thread resurrection!

This is driving me nuts: I'm listening to some vocal stuff, and in the particularly strident bits foobar clips like crazy even with the advanced limiter enabled. Is there any way to deal with this? The foobar SQ is lightyears better than iTunes for this stuff...until the clipping on the crescendos.
frown.gif

Try lowering your wav volume.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #103 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
Oops I suppose I should update this thread- I got it working yesterday. I didnt know I had to assign a left and right channel otherwise I had it right.

-So basically You install itunes 7 and the passthrough- foobar, and the asio plugin.

-Then change the registry as posted in post 71 (this is from the foobar board- apparently it gets installed in the incorrect registry directory)

"I had to copy the registry keys from hkey local machine- software- foobar to hkey current user- software- foobar to get itunes to recognize that foobar was installed"

-Finally follow the directions in post 3 of this thread (the instructions are for Juli@, but I am sure it applies similarly to other cards)

If there are further problems I dont know how to fix them, but maybe this will be helpful for someone.

I'm a beginner and have no idea how to change the registry key. Could someone please explain how to do this?

Thanks,
Do!

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #105 of 112
There's probably a more efficient way to do it, but I just created new keys in the appropriate place with the identical names and values.

As for the clipping bit, I found that "replaygain and prevent clipping according to peak" takes care of it nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back