The best of both worlds, the iTunes interface with foobar as a backend.
Sep 21, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #76 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
How is the updated version of itunes? I haven't updated mine yet and wondering if it is buggy. Sometimes I don;t bother updating it after one version I updated to was buggy as hell.

I am still on version 6.05.20

In another thread they said that itunes 7 will work with folks like me that use EMU soundcards, if you tell quicktime to output as 48, not 44. i'll try it when i go home. hey, if it doesn't sound much different than the foobar passthrough (which i'll try too, once a stable version comes out) then i'll stick with it.

BTW Mike, YGPM
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #77 of 112
Alright. Itunes 7 with multiplugin appears to be working (sort of) for me with foobar passthrough, asio, the alac plug-in, and through an 1820M soundcard. So, I'm already doing a bunch of things the creator of the thing says may not work correctly.... When I began writing this post like an hour ago I couldn't get the Itunes 7 to work properly, ie the music would play, through foobar, but the itunes song timer would not move or move very slowly. So, when it got to the end of the song, it wouldn't go on to the next one. Well I went in to quicktime and changed it to 48khz like everyone said and now that works. I didn't think it would matter since I wasn't using itunes to play the file or even wave with the asio output. But, I don't have to worry that quicktime is re-sampling right? Foobar and ASIO is bypassing it correct? Also, for some reason the volume slider in itunes still functions when it shouldn't using the passthrough.

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #78 of 112
I just spent 2 and a half hours trying to get the juli@ to output asio to foobar- what a pita. No matter what I try I cant get foobar to play anything when I select juli@ asio, therefore, itunes passthrough wont play it either. I tried kernel streaming too and even resorted to trying winamp- no asio- I quit for now. Oh well, at least foobar is running through itunes
blink.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #79 of 112
nice one bangraman, i'll have to check this out. FLAC RULES APPLE DROOLS!

its too bad foobar doesn't have a better frontend. its perfectly fine, but I dunno.

another alternative would be wmplayer 11. its pretty slick. runs faster on my pc than crappy itunes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
j.River Media Center handles formats such as Apple Lossless, FLAC, Ogg, etc at the same time. It is also a ripping front end for MP3 (LAME, any version), FLAC, Ogg, etc.

The user interface for playback / navigation can be set up to be superficially similar to iTunes. It will output through ASIO. There's media server functionality. Gapless, crossfade, etc features are implemented.

The authors are known to be working on album art compatibility with the iPod, but it will retrieve cover art automatically and embed them into MP3 tags. It will load the iPod, any UMS player, MTP players and various others.

It is also a DirectX host. For example, I use Algorithmix with it. http://www.algorithmix.com/en/peq2.htm

It's also capable of transcodes on-the-fly using LAME as the encoding engine, so you could store in lossless and load players using MP3 (machine speed pending). With a dual-core processor you can halve transcode times. It can also call LAME MT to theoretically cut even that time in half, although MT is not sonically proven yet.

$40. The best investment I ever made in terms of computer audio. www.jrmediacenter.com

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #80 of 112
Man this is driving me nuts. I think I'll just have to go back to using the fooTunes script instead of the Multi-Plugin passthrough. I'm using iTunes 6.0.5.20. With foobar 0.9.3.1 installed I can get asio to work when using foobar directly (or fooTunes), but trying to use the plugin instead of fooTunes just results in nowt. I tried to use foobar 0.8.3 but I can't get ASIO working at all with that- totally failed to find a dll that works with my ancient Athlon Thunderbird. If anybody has a working 'normal' dll for this version, please let me know- I need it!

If anybody has any other suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #81 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022
As far as I know, the multi-plugin still does not support the current version of foobar. This is why it is telling you foobar is not installed. I had the same problem when I tired to upgrade to the new version. But, I refuse to give up the itunes interface or ALAC. So, if you want the old version of foobar that works with multi-plugin, send me a pm with your e-mail addy and I will send it along.

Just PMed you, thanks very much. I sent the following as a PM to someone, but thought I'd post it here, too:

Quote:

I might have just answered my question, it's one up from Jahn's post. Is this saying that iTunes 7 isn't compatible with the passthrough? That doesn't make sense, because I was running iTunes 6.05, and when I tried to install the Multi-Plugin, I got an error message saying I needed iTunes 7, so I installed that. Voodoo.

Cheers,
Bob

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #82 of 112
Oops I suppose I should update this thread- I got it working yesterday. I didnt know I had to assign a left and right channel otherwise I had it right.

-So basically You install itunes 7 and the passthrough- foobar, and the asio plugin.

-Then change the registry as posted in post 71 (this is from the foobar board- apparently it gets installed in the incorrect registry directory)

"I had to copy the registry keys from hkey local machine- software- foobar to hkey current user- software- foobar to get itunes to recognize that foobar was installed"

-Finally follow the directions in post 3 of this thread (the instructions are for Juli@, but I am sure it applies similarly to other cards)

If there are further problems I dont know how to fix them, but maybe this will be helpful for someone.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #83 of 112
I went through the same process, but it's completely worth it: Apple's immaculate front-end with foobar's output quality.

I've set it up as per these instructions, more or less, though I'm currently running Creative's ASIO implementation on my X-Fi. I'd like to try kernel streaming output and see if I can make out a difference. Just to make sure I'm reading it right, in this option box...

foobarep6.jpg

...the "KS" in "KS : SB X-Fi Audio [BC00]" stands for kernel streaming, right?

Any known advantages of kernel streaming over ASIO, or vice versa?

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #84 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
...the "KS" in "KS : SB X-Fi Audio [BC00]" stands for kernel streaming, right?

Correct.

As for your second question, I think kernel streaming is less stable than ASIO, but don't take my word for it. I could have just read something totally incorrectly.

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #86 of 112
Oct 10, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #87 of 112
yep i finally got itunes 7.01 working with the multiplugin passthrough, KS sounded way better than ASIO. gapless, no prob with foobar as backend. problem was, both KS and ASIO will not play protected AAC (from the itunes store) so it's a wash. back to regular old itunes!

Oct 10, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #88 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
problem was, both KS and ASIO will not play protected AAC (from the itunes store) so it's a wash. back to regular old itunes!

I don't think it'll be KS or ASIO that aren't letting you play the protected AACs, rather just the fact they are protected. Did you take a look at this? I think I linked to it in another thread on foobar2000.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #89 of 112
Jahn, the multiplugin has a feature to bypass the passthrough for those songs:

You may include |No Foobar2000| in the Comments tag of a track to force it to play using the default engine.
This way it's possible to play tracks from the Music Store while Foobar2000 passthrough is enabled.

This way you could have your cake and eat it too...or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back