The best headphones for under £100 ($150)
Sep 14, 2010 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

abeeb

New Head-Fier

I am looking for some portable (foldable) over ear headphones for under £100 ($100). They have to be closed as i will be using them at school and do not want too much sound leakage.

My main music tastes are Rock, Pop and Drum&Bass.

At school they will be driven by my iPod touch and Fiio E5 headphone amplifier and at home they will be plugged into my NAD 3020 amplifier.

I am based in the uk but am happy to ship headphones in from other countries.

Thanks

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 11
Sep 14, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Sony V6 are worth checking out. They meet all your criteria and are available for about £70 from Amazon. They used to be £55 from the same seller, don't know why they've gone up in price so much.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V6-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284450342&sr=8-1

They have their flaws (their harsh highs are the most prominent) but overall they're a very good headphone for the money, they have a lot of bass too so they should do you well for D&B.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 11
if you want foldable, indestructible and mucho bass, may i recommend the akg181djs? they isolate incredibly well (read: you'll be functionally deaf to the outer world while wearing these), fold up nicely and have a 'more bass please!' switch. they are as solidly built as anything i've seen or tried.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 11
ath-es7 but give them a LOT of break-in time before you dismiss them. in the beginning they have very little bass, but respond well to amplification and equalization. after 80 hours ish, they are almost too bassy for me, and i like the quality of the bass. im not sure about the e3 but i know the cmoybb pairs very well with them. as does the alo rx. 

they fold flat, but not into a little bundle of joy like some headphones do. i bough a nav-u case for them, and they fit perfect with room inside for whichever ipod you have 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NVA-B10G-nav-u-Nylon-Storage/dp/B001AG6J26

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 11
the ath-es7s are great phones if you like the soundsig (which I do myself), but they get damaged kinda easily and i was not too thrilled about their isolation/leakage. Soundquality is really good, though. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 11
the es7 is more than bassy enough for me, and the m50 is said to be much bassier. iono how much i would like those, but if you can find both  to try i would love to hear impressions. although the es7 isnt bassy AT ALL until like 50 hours+ of burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back