THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #2,419 of 5,014

Grace Vardell

Wow, this girl can really sing.  I was picking my nose and playing video games at this age.  Dang! 

Don't know if she just has a predisposition to go for the vibrato all the time or she just can't hold certain notes but aside from that she does have potential, especially at her age.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,420 of 5,014
  I've been meaning to post this for a while.   Many of you may not realize it, but some of these pop stars can actually sing...

I give you...

Miley Cyrus

Nope; I'm still not convinced! 
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,421 of 5,014
Thanks for the Jilly Riley suggestion, though, Br777 - I really like her. Waaay more soul in her voice than most.

She strikes me as a kind of combination of Jack Johnson, Lauren Hill, Corrine Bailey Ray, and Joss Stone (if that's possible!)

Good stuff.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,422 of 5,014
Agnes Obel
Sara Bareilles
Laura Marling
My big sister
Ellie Goulding

In no particular order.

Also, Dessa. A female rapper slash spoken word artist, who is just not one of the best female artists, but one of the best artists, rappers and just generally a woman I look at with the utmost admiration for her intellect and personality.

Anything Dessa does is so utterly and absolutely brilliant it blows my mind, but here's one of my personal favorites (a cover version of it, the original is equally brilliant but different).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fHUQwyW4Ts

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,427 of 5,014
Georgia Ruth plays harp and her voice is somewhat delicate like Cara Dillon's.

However, Georgia is bilingual, singing in either English or Welsh.

I don't understand a word of Welsh, but I still think this is beautiful:

(alternative performance)

Also see:

Kate Walsh
Mishal Moore
Cara Dillon
Loreena McKennitt
Fiona Mackenzie
Melissa Davison
Billie Tweddle / Marten
Thea Gilmore
Emily and The Woods
Rachel Sermanni
Karen Mattheson
Maura O'Connell
Ruth Moody
The Wailin' Jennys
Mary Black
Aoife O'Donovan
Eddi Reader
Quadron
Leddra Chapman
Sabiyha

also consider Jeff Buckley, on the male vocals side of things... and even Israel Kamakawiwo'ole or Van Morrison

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #2,429 of 5,014
There's something lovely about Regina Specktor's voice. It's so sweet and soft, yet passionate. If I'm in love with any voice, it's hers.

Another wonderful voice that I've had the pleasure of experiencing is that of Nai Palm (Hiatus Kaiyoye's frontwoman). If there's a contender in my heart for Regina, it's Nai Palm.

One final spectacular musician worth mentioning is Sóley. Her chilly accent is always a pleasure to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back