THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 9, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #2,387 of 5,014

One thing I love about Eddi Reader is the sheer quality of the engineering of her recordings. Even her older albums like 'Mirmama' and her group effort with 'Fairground Attraction' really shine in a decent system.

That's very true. In fact, she seems to put as much effort into her live performances too. I met her last autumn in Edinburgh at a political rally and we ended up walking back to the same car park together. She's a bit scatty in real-life but most inspiring. We also saw her perform two weeks ago in Glasgow but she was only one part of a much bigger bill. She still shone bright though.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,389 of 5,014
  @ illyria:  it's become a bit of a running joke between Br777 and I, with each of us prodding the other whenever one of us slips-up and posts someone who's already been posted before.

At the other end of the spectrum, though, it does get irritating when a generally high-calibre thread is let down by some members seemingly doing nothing more than reading the title and then name-dropping someone who's been mentioned 20 time before, rather than making at least a little effort to read a few pages and get a feel for the character of the thread. It's not a crime, of course, (lol), but it just sometimes feels a bit like the thread is being 'spammed'.

You've posted plenty of decent new contributions to the thread, in the past few months, so you're still in good standing, in spite of your above slip-up! 
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

@Mython- whilst I understand what you're trying to achieve - can I suggest that no longer posting an artist once they've been posted once kind of defeats the whole idea of the thread.  Although I've read practically every post, many may not. - which means if an awesome singer was mentioned a lot earlier, and your encouraging no reposts of an artist who has been posted before, then that singer gets lost to those who may not go back and read the previous 160 pages.

After all the original post just says:
  I think we all have a soft melt spot for awesome female voices. Post the ones that make you feel warm and fuzzy or just the ones you admire a lot.

Personally I'd rather the thread stayed active and don't give two hoots if I see Norah in here 20 or 30 times.  If it introduces more members to her as an artist - then it's all good in my book.

Anyway - just another perspective.

And even though she's been mentioned before ...... currently really enjoying Ayla Nereo regularly in my rotation - this track is magic IMO (album is available in lossless on Bandcamp).

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,390 of 5,014
Old School: Sandy Denny, Annie Haslam & of course Joni Mitchell before time (cigarettes?) ravaged her instrument.
Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn must be in any conversation about female voacalists, as well.

Newer School: Of late I'm marveling at Rebecca Lovell of Larkin Poe, very fine, emotive singer.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,391 of 5,014

@Mython- whilst I understand what you're trying to achieve - can I suggest that no longer posting an artist once they've been posted once kind of defeats the whole idea of the thread.  Although I've read practically every post, many may not. - which means if an awesome singer was mentioned a lot earlier, and your encouraging no reposts of an artist who has been posted before, then that singer gets lost to those who may not go back and read the previous 160 pages.

That's a fair point, and in some respects, I agree.

On the flipside, though, I question the validity of a thread that becomes just an endless re-run of Groundhog day.  I am not alone in considering this to be one of the highest-calibre threads on Head-fi
regular_smile .gif

I can see both sides, honestly.

Additionally, please note that I'm only discussing this lightly.

On a pragmatic level, I considered, previously, making the effort to go through the entire thread and gather all the many wonderful artists' names into a cohesive list, with links, (to be updated, on an ongoing basis, as the thread continues to develop), and asking the OP (Trysaeder) to post it in the first post of the thread, but that member seems to no longer participate on Head-fi.

As an alternative, I've also considered posting such a list (with links) in an entirely new thread, as a quick resource for anyone wishing to expand the variety of female artists in their music collection, but I've held back on the suspicion that some would raise objections to this (I've even had some members bitching to the mods about me contributing too many artists to this thread, because they felt I was "trying to take over the thread", for C's sake!).
(This isn't aimed at you, personally; I'm just speaking generally): it's incredible what dubious intentions some members will perceive in, & project onto, other members, with an implicit assumption that those perceptions are unquestionably accurate and factual.
I couldn't give two hoots about fragile egos or dubiously-&-inaccurately-perceived/projected agendas. What is best for the community ? A thread with endless repetition, and minimal new contributions, or a thread with minimal repetition and lots of new contributions, on an ongoing basis?

I've stopped posting artists, here, of late, after the B$ accusations and objections, from some members, via the mods, that I was contributing too many to the thread.

But it's really not the end of the world. If I'm almost the only one, here, who considers endless repetition to be a futile endeavour, then so be it. We're all just kicking our heels, in cyberspace, and it doesn't affect 'real life', anyway 
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,394 of 5,014
Mython,

Let me begin by saying that I'm a huge fan of your informative posts. I especially like how you clump similar artists at the bottom of your post. I've discovered several great artists because of it.

I understand your point about trying to reduce the signal to noise ratio of this thread, however limiting repeats means that others are restricted from adding their own perspective.

The best solution, if it is acceptable to the rest of the community, might be to create a separate index thread as you have suggested. Hopefully grouped by similar artists.

Personally I'd like to repost Leddra Chapman. I can't seem to get enough of her lately :)

My $0.02
WorldDocker

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,395 of 5,014
  Though she may not be the best voice, I am in love with Lauren Mayberry (her voice and songs).

Hey, I'm a married man... the wife already says I'm too obsessed with her and this band. 
wink_face.gif

I was not familiar with Lauren Mayberry, so I googled her, then watched her on YouTube.  So now I'm kind of obsessed with her.  So yeah........ thanks for that! 
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,396 of 5,014
I was not familiar with Lauren Mayberry, so I googled her, then watched her on YouTube.  So now I'm kind of obsessed with her.  So yeah........ thanks for that!  :wink_face:

I hope the obsession is not based on her sounding like a 12 year old :p I just picked up "The Bones of What You Believe" based on this recommendation, so apparently it got me too.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,399 of 5,014
Enjoy. I'm more in love with the band, rather than just her. Strong Hand is their newest single, but I cannot wait for their next album.

I'm not really a big fan of Synth Pop and her voice isn't the greatest/strongest, but the total seems to be greater than the sum of their parts.  I really enjoyed what I've heard of them so far this evening.   And I have to be honest, she's kinda cute. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,400 of 5,014
I'm not really a big fan of Synth Pop and her voice isn't the greatest/strongest, but the total seems to be greater than the sum of their parts.  I really enjoyed what I've heard of them so far this evening.   And I have to be honest, she's kinda cute. 

Oh, I totally agree about the cuteness. My favorite songs in order are: Recover, Lies, Mother We Share, Gun, We Sink, and Strong Hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back