the BEST cans for Hip-Hop
Mar 22, 2007 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

dropkickduffy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I'm looking for some awesome hip-hop cans. I know many people on this forum loathe rap/hip-hop, but it's my favorite genre. I listen mostly to N.E.R.D., old school Black Eyed Peas, Common, Talib Kweli, De la Soul, Outkast, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Lupe Fiasco, etc. My HD580s are great for classical/jazz/acoustic but are absolutely horrible for most hip-hop. I need something with a deep, smooth low-end and sweet mids. Any recommendations under $300?

(also, my Amp/Dac uses OP2107 Burr Browns, so if anyone is familiar with them can you tailor your response with these in mind? Thanks!

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 45
Most importantly, I want something I can bob my head to. The HD580s, albeit an awesome headphone, just do not get me moving----at all. In fact, they put me to sleep when listening to more lively music.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 45
"Head bobbing" is another word for Grados!

Whether the bass will satisfy is another question as the bass is tight and accurate, But for head-bobbing, yeah; that's Grado!

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 45
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80

I've recently gotten a pair of Darth Beyers and owned a stock DT770/80 as well; and these cans do Hip Hop really well. They have gobs of bass, that is a bit slow but has the right amount of decay. The Darth's would be at the top end of your price range, being that you could pick up a used pair for around the $300 mark. A stock DT770/80 can be gotten for around $150 or so. These cans will get your toe tapping and head bobbing when you listen to hip hop, they did for me anyways.

Edit: I noticed you said you wanted sweet mids, not sure if the DT770/80 in stock form would satisfy that, as they are said to have quite the recessed mid-range. But for hip hop tracks, I didn't find that it really was detrimental to enjoying the music much, unless you listened to just R&B.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 45
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro is probaply the best. Their midrange is bit recessed though, but bass-depth and power is very good.

Ultrasone HFI-650 or Proline 650 should fit the bill too.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 45
Sounds like you want the bass.....so go for the DT770/80s!!! They have more deep down bass then any other headphone I've heard.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 45
For slammin but sloppy/uneven bass you can go with any number of sub-$100 consumer 'phones.

For slammin but deep and more accurate bass you can go with DT770/80s. I use them for rap. Be warned, though, at first you will complain that they have no bass. The reasons are twofold:

(1) DT770/80 don't have midbass bloat like bassy sub-$100 cans. For instance, at first listen, one might think that Sony V600 (yuck) have more bass, but in reality they just have a super-bloated midbass and a complete lack of low bass. This makes all bass sound the same. With the DT770/80 you can hear different kinds of electronic bass, even from rap music.

(2) DT770/80 require significant burn-in to loosen up the bass. Also, make sure to give them some power - a cmoy at minimum.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 45
Well, I guess its unanimous -- the dt770s it is! I've heard there are different versions of this headphone, and I was wondering which would be the best to get? I will be listening to them amped. The amps I have are a Firestone Cute Beyond and a PA2v2. I also have a Fubar II Dac. Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 45
X2 on the dt770/80 recommendations. Even though the mids are recessed a little bit, I found it to be no problem with rap(I think someone already said that
tongue.gif
). And the bass is great, too=]

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Older DT-770 Pro 80ohm model is considered as most balanced and best. And quite affordable too.

"older" 80 ohm model? The 80 ohm version has only been out for about 3-4 years now-- is that considered old already? I thought there was only one version of the 80 ohm model-- the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, the same one that's been out for the past few years. i.e. there is no new or old version of the 80 ohm DT770.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey All,

I'm looking for some awesome hip-hop cans. I know many people on this forum loathe rap/hip-hop, but it's my favorite genre. I listen mostly to N.E.R.D., old school Black Eyed Peas, Common, Talib Kweli, De la Soul, Outkast, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Lupe Fiasco, etc. My HD580s are great for classical/jazz/acoustic but are absolutely horrible for most hip-hop. I need something with a deep, smooth low-end and sweet mids. Any recommendations under $300?

(also, my Amp/Dac uses OP2107 Burr Browns, so if anyone is familiar with them can you tailor your response with these in mind? Thanks!

"old school" Black Eyed Peas? I thought they'd only been around for a few years-- not long enough to have an "old school" and "new school" versions of themselves. Or have they been around for longer, but only got popular/broke through a few years ago?

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

(2) DT770/80 require significant burn-in to loosen up the bass.

This is so true. My ears used to ache the first week and a half i listened to these. But after that, they are perfect.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"old school" Black Eyed Peas? I thought they'd only been around for a few years-- not long enough to have an "old school" and "new school" versions of themselves. Or have they been around for longer, but only got popular/broke through a few years ago?

Old school BEP = before Fergie. And yes, they've been around for a while before they blew up due the teenie-boppie addition of Fergie. Have you ever heard the track "Joints and Jam"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back