The best cable for Senn HD800, Grado PS1000, Denon AH-D7000, AKG 701/2
Sep 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 77
for the money I think Fidelity Audio for Senns.
Grados dont bother
Denons APS - HPA preferred aps recable to the lawton I think.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not dramatic as the amp, but can help with a better instrument separation and more body to the sound. Overall improvement of 10 to 15%.

<1% Would I say. 10-15% would make the difference to noticeable that we wouldn't have any skeptics.
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the money I think Fidelity Audio for Senns.
Grados dont bother
Denons APS - HPA preferred aps recable to the lawton I think.

Fidelity Audio uses Magnet Wire. It's just about the cheapest copper wire you can buy. You can buy 315 feet of magnet wire for $6 at Radio Shack if you want. It's a bit weird ask me. Can't find any other headphone or audio cable maker that would use magnet wire. I find it hard to believe it would be better than Sennheiser OFC wire. For the money, in parts, Fidelity Audio probably charges quite a bit for work, considering parts used is literally pennies per feet. And if you are a manufacturer or want to buy in bulk, can get 900 FT of Magnet Wire for $9, yeah, $1 per 100 feet. The multifilament sleeving is 20 cents per foot if you buy in bulk. Yes PENNIES. Might as well just buy some well shielded Belden, Vampire or Neotech wire instead.

Stick to cables that use audio cables in my opinion, even the cheap Belden cables instead or OCC wire if you must buy a after market headphone cable.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #35 of 77
i don't think any cable change will make the sound any better than what's being sent
to the drivers via the cable... having said that, many of these major manufacturers use
only adequate cable which presents less than optimal conduction. why, you ask?
it's a business decision, imo... why use $50 in cable when you can use $5?...

for the doubters: trying it for yourself is infinitely more satisfying to confirm or disconfirm,
rather than listening to the opinions of others...

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #37 of 77
Agreed takezo. Just saying if you are going to hand someone over $100 for aftermarket cables, I'd hope they use higher quality copper wiring than cheap magnet wire, at least better wire than what is used in the stock cable.

Also just read Fidelity Audio uses various different sized gauge of wires in combination for his cables. Hmm last I read, signals move at different speeds depending on the gauge of the wire. Why would I want signals moving at different speeds? It's a bit weird.

I'll stop, enjoy looking for your after-market cables. May want to stick with the Moon-Audio or APureSound or some other reputable cable maker that have a solid founded reputation on Head-Fi.

Quote:

Fantastic to hear your impressions after a proper burn in period! And actually, I can honestly state that our cable played some part in the improved bass as they do undergo a proprietary process to reduce the mechanical resonance, shielding the conductors from sonic vibrations (acts as though the cable were suspended in air, without having to be suspended in air).
Rick, Fidelity Audio

What does that even mean?

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #38 of 77
HPA reviewed it well.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #39 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fidelity Audio uses Magnet Wire. It's just about the cheapest copper wire you can buy. You can buy 315 feet of magnet wire for $6 at Radio Shack if you want. It's a bit weird ask me. Can't find any other headphone or audio cable maker that would use magnet wire. I find it hard to believe it would be better than Sennheiser OFC wire. For the money, in parts, Fidelity Audio probably charges quite a bit for work, considering parts used is literally pennies per feet. And if you are a manufacturer or want to buy in bulk, can get 900 FT of Magnet Wire for $9, yeah, $1 per 100 feet. The multifilament sleeving is 20 cents per foot if you buy in bulk. Yes PENNIES. Might as well just buy some well shielded Belden, Vampire or Neotech wire instead.

Magnet wire is lacquered wire. What's inside can be as good and expensive as you want – OFC, Ohno cast mono-crystal wire, silver, silver-plated copper...).

Quote:

Strick to cables that use audio cables in my opinion, even the cheap Belden cables instead or OCC wire if you must buy a after market headphone cable.

There is no audio wire, there's just wire.

Quote:

Also just read Fidelity Audio uses various different sized gauge of wires in combination for his cables. Hmm last I read, signals move at different speeds depending on the gauge of the wire. Why would I want signals moving at different speeds? It's a bit weird.

Cardas Cable also uses this cable design – with quite some success. Keep in mind that alternating current travels at different speeds – depending on frequency – within one and the same wire anyway. Magnet wires offer a compensation for this penomenon, as they allow for the use of very small wire diameters with correspondingly small speed variations. And the Cardas cables also use small diameters, probably for the same reason.

I've experimented a lot with magnet wires, and currently my favorite (homegrown) ICs are based on them. I also built several headphone cables with magnet wires, and I like the sound they produce – it's very special. Different wire diameters cause different characteristics; therefore a mixture can be favorable.

I can't speak for the Fidelity Audio cables, though.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #41 of 77
My SR225i have such nice cabling, though I'm eventually going to reterminate and re-y-split them with the Viablue kit I've got sitting here.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #42 of 77
With so many replacement cables coming out it's impossible to say what will be the best sounding in the next few weeks.

So far the single ended Lawton Audio Adrenaline sounds the best in my system. That's only comparing them to the 4-pin XLR reterminated stock and APureSound V3 cable with 3-pin Furutech rhodium XLR connectors. Once the Hyperion and Fidelity Audio cables arrive I'll have a more informed opinion.

I bought/borrowed these cables with various connectors to allow for much better testing of A/B. Two are 4-pin XLR connectors, two are 3-pin XLR, and one is SE. The Audio-gd Phoenix allows for up to three simultaneous headphone connections for testing, and I will likely limit it to two at a time. I also bought a second set of HD800 to use for testing, allowing two cables to be tested in rapid swaps to ensure I can repeatedly hear something.

Also, to help ensure proper listening levels I took a test disc with a 1kHz signal and my Radio Shack SPL meter and made many SPL readings to ensure I can match volumes between SE and XLR. Those are in a spreadsheet that allows me to ensure exacting SPL matching as this alone can dramatically alter the sound you're hearing.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #43 of 77
the fact you can afford 2 hd800s and cables for them over probably another $3000 shows insane care for the sound of hd800s? why not just goto meets to find which? or do you want to hear all in home for more time to then just keep what you want and like best? wish I had that much money jeez
frown.gif

Sucks being in college because by the time I have the money for the real stuff I will have worse hearing and less time to listen.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #45 of 77
Will you be writing a full review of your findings?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With so many replacement cables coming out it's impossible to say what will be the best sounding in the next few weeks.

So far the single ended Lawton Audio Adrenaline sounds the best in my system. That's only comparing them to the 4-pin XLR reterminated stock and APureSound V3 cable with 3-pin Furutech rhodium XLR connectors. Once the Hyperion and Fidelity Audio cables arrive I'll have a more informed opinion.

I bought/borrowed these cables with various connectors to allow for much better testing of A/B. Two are 4-pin XLR connectors, two are 3-pin XLR, and one is SE. The Audio-gd Phoenix allows for up to three simultaneous headphone connections for testing, and I will likely limit it to two at a time. I also bought a second set of HD800 to use for testing, allowing two cables to be tested in rapid swaps to ensure I can repeatedly hear something.

Also, to help ensure proper listening levels I took a test disc with a 1kHz signal and my Radio Shack SPL meter and made many SPL readings to ensure I can match volumes between SE and XLR. Those are in a spreadsheet that allows me to ensure exacting SPL matching as this alone can dramatically alter the sound you're hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back