The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22
May 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #121 of 255
I have thought about a WA5 but have a few issue wrt 6SN7s driving a 300b so the case is still out on this one. 6SN7s is not the best tube to do this job. I come at this from a tube point of view and is the reasn I love the 6SE. I collected many 'suitable' tubes years ago, I love the concept of the 6SE for tube rolling, it is a gem. One day perhaps Jack will do an 8se with 6BL7GT / 6BX7GTs:)  I use both high impedance and low impedance planars so the variations make sence. The 6SE has the power and drive all (I use 6EM7GT, 5AR4 metal base) for every phone. The WA2 has the delicay and finese for certain types of music. (I have GEC 6AS7G, Mullard EZ81 and Mullard CV2493 (low noise selected 6922 for you from the other side of the pond! We call them E88CC-01s here and yes it is quieter than the standard 6922 / E88CC). I am just getting to grips with this amp now....The WA22 has seen the most rolling so far. I think the GECs are best but use 5998 routinely (and occasionally 7236) with a 596 rectifier with adapter and numerous series of 6SN7GTS (currently 7N7s and 6F8Gs). Each has it own character and is quite music dependent. I also have other amps and plans for several more in the near future...but re Woo, I thought one might be my favourite but use different ones with different moods, music, wine....

May 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #122 of 255
So - what's the main differencies between the WA22 and the WA6SE? 
Quote:
I have thought about a WA5 but have a few issue wrt 6SN7s driving a 300b so the case is still out on this one. 6SN7s is not the best tube to do this job. I come at this from a tube point of view and is the reasn I love the 6SE. I collected many 'suitable' tubes years ago, I love the concept of the 6SE for tube rolling, it is a gem. One day perhaps Jack will do an 8se with 6BL7GT / 6BX7GTs:)  I use both high impedance and low impedance planars so the variations make sence. The 6SE has the power and drive all (I use 6EM7GT, 5AR4 metal base) for every phone. The WA2 has the delicay and finese for certain types of music. (I have GEC 6AS7G, Mullard EZ81 and Mullard CV2493 (low noise selected 6922 for you from the other side of the pond! We call them E88CC-01s here and yes it is quieter than the standard 6922 / E88CC). I am just getting to grips with this amp now....The WA22 has seen the most rolling so far. I think the GECs are best but use 5998 routinely (and occasionally 7236) with a 596 rectifier with adapter and numerous series of 6SN7GTS (currently 7N7s and 6F8Gs). Each has it own character and is quite music dependent. I also have other amps and plans for several more in the near future...but re Woo, I thought one might be my favourite but use different ones with different moods, music, wine....

May 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #123 of 255
Quote:

That is exactly my concern jumping to WA5 too, I wanted it so bad and it does sound great when I had it in my house but it is my concerns on 6SN7 driving 300B tubes.

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #126 of 255
Fantastic review.
I am in a really terrible situation I have the 650's and really love them, but I only have the STX and luckily enough I have tested it out with amps like conductor,wa2 and black cube out of these the only one which fits in my budget (Free shipping) is the wa2  black cube I can't get a authorized seller :frowning2:.
Want to get the best  out of the 650's which are forced to be dull with my STX.
Will get a wa2 next year after my exams :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #127 of 255
get WA6-SE, i think its better with 650s. really good if u can get a 596 too.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #128 of 255
Quote:
Fantastic review.
I am in a really terrible situation I have the 650's and really love them, but I only have the STX and luckily enough I have tested it out with amps like conductor,wa2 and black cube out of these the only one which fits in my budget (Free shipping) is the wa2  black cube I can't get a authorized seller :frowning2:.
Want to get the best  out of the 650's which are forced to be dull with my STX.
Will get a wa2 next year after my exams :)

The WA2 is really smooth with the HD650. If that is what you are after, then get the WA2. If you want the HD650 to be snappier, then the WA22 or probably WA6SE (which is of similar layout) will suit you better. I haven't heard the 6SE but I have reasans to believe it sounds more like the WA22 than the WA2. Actually, the WA6SE is a bit more powerful. Doesn't matter for the HD650, though :)

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #132 of 255
Quote:
I think the 650 work best on the WA2 with the GEC  output valve. This makes the WA2 really sing, I prefer it over the 6SE in this combo. The WA22 with the GEC is okay also :wink:

i really want to get a pair of GEC tubes soon, just to finish maxing out my WA2 for T1/HD800

i never bought WA22 because i didn't want to lose the WA2 magic and didn't know how much of an improvement over a WA6-SE it would be, or not. (at the recent meet i went to, one of the guys who heard my WA6-SE said he preferred his th-900s on my WA6-SE than when he had WA22)

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #133 of 255
Thanks.
I will probably buy the wa2 as the 650's are not going to be my final pair of headphone.
And as of the tubes I will see while purchasing the 2's or will buy custom one's after a year of use.
Thanks for the constant recommendation's :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #134 of 255
Quote:
I think the 650 work best on the WA2 with the GEC  output valve. This makes the WA2 really sing, I prefer it over the 6SE in this combo. The WA22 with the GEC is okay also :wink:

Not sure which GEC you are talking about but the GEC 6AS7G is the best sounding power tube with WA22 especially if you are using HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back