The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jun 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #691 of 1,853
  Me niehter, but it's not as fast and tight as the HE 4 is :/ 
Eqing the bass down won't solve anything. I don't really use eq, my D2k is primarly for my portable rig and I have no means of EQ when using my portable rig there for, any headphones that are going to b considered for use in that rig are ones I'd like not to EQ. I prefer Dry Fast headphone, since my hm801 is warm and some what slow, the syngery works nicely

but the D2k is one of the more warm cans I've owned. That said how ever I do like it's treble presentation 

On the positive I found a member here in the US whos' agree'd to let me demo his LCD XC, so I'll compare it to my three headphones here soon! 

I know what you mean.  The bass tracks you listen to have low, clean, lean and cold bass...other bass tracks have fuller, warmer and fatter bass synths, so you want bass definition to bring out the tight bass lines on your tracks better.  I never heard the D2K, but my D7K I would not call sloppy at all, but my Audeze cans are definitly more tactile in the bass.  The HD800 is also very tactile, and with EQ is also a basshead can.  I would be very interested to find out how you think the D2K and LCDXC compare in bass quality.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #692 of 1,853

I know what you mean.  The bass tracks you listen to have low, clean, lean and cold bass...other bass tracks have fuller, warmer and fatter bass synths, so you want bass definition to bring out the tight bass lines on your tracks better.  I never heard the D2K, but my D7K I would not call sloppy at all, but my Audeze cans are definitly more tactile in the bass.  The HD800 is also very tactile, and with EQ is also a basshead can.  I would be very interested to find out how you think the D2K and LCDXC compare in bass quality.

Yeaper

I'm actually gettin to Demo the LCD 2 Fazor First xD 

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #693 of 1,853
Since it seems it hasn't been posted here yet:

http://www.focal.com/en/mobile-headphones/510-spirit-one-s.html

and

http://www.focal.com/evt/spiritones-en/

Maybe another one to keep an eye on. I'm especially happy that they've listened to the criticism and actually made cups bigger so that the ears will fit inside better despite being marketed for portable use. Also have to say I dig that case... a whole lot.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #694 of 1,853
Focal is a huge name in speakers, and their line of cans are universaaly acclaimed for sounding like fullrangers, ie, not bass lite but I read about the fitment issues and my ears are big, they wont even fit into the Beyer T1.  We need someone to take one for the team to prove its audiophile bass credentials!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #695 of 1,853
I pulled the trigger and am now a proud owner of the ULTRASONE Signature DJ!
smily_headphones1.gif

Above video - very corporate - I like the mention of cable feature where guy claims swapping cables can be done within "the blink of an eye" - I know this is a major feature when I'm looking for new cans - anything longer than 1x eye blink - no good to me. Main reason I posted this video was to see if anyone can identify what shirts these guys are wearing ? I particularly like the red shirt. I'd love a red shirt like that to wear with my Sig DJ's - just such a winning combo don't you think?
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

As we know, the Sig DJ's are now discontinued, so this is the start of vendors stock going, going, gone and I thought best not hang around, so I got in "early" before there's only one vendor in all of Europe sitting on one pristine pair, but demanding a kings ransom with enticements such as "shrink wrapped factory sealed new , never to be seen again, a masterpiece is headphonery" etc with a £950+ price attached.

So they only just arrived with me yesterday and I am in love with these cans for sure.

I already have the Signature Pro's, which are great, but the bass on the Sig DJ's just puts an instant smile on my face as soon as I used them - which was simply these cans plugged directly into my iPad Air playing iTunes.

The bass on these cans is one of the best cans if not the best cans I've heard for sheer quality of bass - not impact - just the perfect precision of the tight punch that feels so expertly controlled.

Why the Sig Pros retail for more than these Sig DJ's is beyond me, and though the Pros are very good cans in their own rights, I prefer the Sig DJ's more for it's beautifully managed pronounced bass.

The soundstage on the Sig DJs is quite large for closed cans with good seperation and imaging. I was listening to a new PSY Goa album for the first time with these cans and on one track the intro sound effects sounded like they were coming outside the headphones, I actually took cans off just to check - very impressive.

I read recently a post by a member stating the Sig DJ's being the best quality bass they had ever heard from a headphone, and I can certainly appreciate that comment is no understatement, the bass on these babies is just biblical to behold.

And now, let us pray....dear father, we thank you for your blessing the bass of the holy Sig DJ's....lol
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the buy!!!! :)
Enjoy!!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #696 of 1,853

and

Maybe another one to keep an eye on. I'm especially happy that they've listened to the criticism and actually made cups bigger so that the ears will fit inside better despite being marketed for portable use. Also have to say I dig that case... a whole lot.

Interesting...
I actually didn't get any of their previous ones because of the size of the earpads issue... if they went bigger, I would definitely test them...

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #697 of 1,853
Yesterday I had the pleasure to listen to Audeze LCD-2 for about 3 hours.
This was a mesmerizing experience, which left me totally sad, that I need to let them go today...

Are these an audiophile basshead wet dream? The surely could be. I was amazed and surprised with how good they sound.

At the beginning I was sceptic - could they really sound better then my Unique Melody Merlin? Well, yeah, they do. They seem to be a natural upgrade from the customs.

Bass: deeep, strong, but, man, is it incredibely well controlled. My standard bass boost settings were bloating the most cans (HD8 DJ, D600, SRH1540), but the LCD-2's bass is still being superbly kept under control. Fantastic!

Midrange: Oh my, I'm in love. I though the Merlins had the best midrange to date, but these cans are so sweet. Detail, vocals, beautiful.

Highs: exactly how I like it. Extended, but velvetly smooth. No harshness or fatigue at all (not possible with them!). Man, was I surprised when I heared new things on some very well known tracks - I couldn't believe it.

Comfort: the leather pads are great, but for some reason, my right ear kept pusing on the inner side of the cans (the left was perfectly fine).

Most cans grow on me (the Merlins needed a month I think), but I instantly felt in love with the Audeze. If they weren't open headphones and the strange comfort issues, I would probably starting to save money :wink: So, are there any closed cans, which sound similar to LCD-2? LCD-XC? :D

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #698 of 1,853
i just purchased the  jvc sz 2000's as im new to the scene anyonbody have any reccomendations for a good amp in the 100-200$ range? ill be using playing music on my galaxy note 2 and my dell laptop, also do i need a dac aswell? also looking for some replacement pads.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #699 of 1,853
  i just purchased the  jvc sz 2000's as im new to the scene anyonbody have any reccomendations for a good amp in the 100-200$ range? ill be using playing music on my galaxy note 2 and my dell laptop, also do i need a dac aswell? also looking for some replacement pads.

I don't know about replacement pads, but some good amps in your price range would be almost anything from the FiiO line, starting with the E07k (amp+DAC-only functions as an amp out of portable devices), E11, E12 (flagship amp, great power), E17 (amp+DAC- I think it also only functions as an amp from portable devices), and E18 (amp+DAC that functions as both from android devices, from what I understand). 

I honestly wouldn't worry about a DAC right now.

If I HAD to make a suggestion from the FiiO line, I'd go with the E12. It has pretty decent power and a nice bass boost function. You won't be wanting for anything else for a while. There are 3 or 4 for sale right now in the For Sale classifieds from people upgrading to desktop rigs and going with speaker systems. The prices are decent, ranging from $75-$90... Or you could pick one up new for $130..

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #701 of 1,853

I've also these cans, and yet to change the crappy stock earpads and I use the Fiio E17 portable headphone amp/DAC which is great as it has bass and treble EQ adjustments which you really need to get the full force of bass that these cans deliver in spades.

Fiio E17 also has 6dB and 12dB gain functions to which I use 6dB for the SZ2000's - enjoy those bass monsters & feel their full force once you EQ up the bass settings! :cool:

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #702 of 1,853

and

^ These look remarkably like the Classic's? v

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #703 of 1,853
Note 2 has decent sound, so a dac isn't a must imo. I don't remember the e07k working as a dac with my note 2 either. Works great as an amp though. Fiio did release a dac/amp model specifically fo android last year i believe so you could look into that. You could try the hifimediy dac which I hear is great. http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=124

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #705 of 1,853
  I'm really interested in those new Focal headphones. I found them to purchase on woodbrass.com and might buy a pair.

Just note that I don't THINK Focal headphones are "basshead" nor bass-tilted headphones as far as I'm aware... (in case you are looking for a bassy headphone...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back