The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jun 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #721 of 1,853

Also Live chat tomorrow on facebook 12pm MST!

Quote:
digiZoid

29 minutes ago

Guess what everyone... the day has finally arrived for you to pre-order ZO3 (now named ZO FS for ZO FullSpec) —> www.digizoid.com

P.S. We'll be hosting another LIVE CHAT tomorrow at 12pm MST here on Facebook! So if you have questions about ZO FS / ZO FS+, or just want to say hi, we'd love to hear from our fans!

Awesome specs btw! Extreeeemely low output impedance and much improved power output, 9x more power than ZO2.3!

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #722 of 1,853

Also Live chat tomorrow on facebook 12pm MST!

Awesome specs btw! Extreeeemely low output impedance and much improved power output, 9x more power than ZO2.3!

yeah, i asked and the output impedance is 0.45, which will be perfect for high sensitivity IEM's 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #723 of 1,853
So I recently got a Note 3 phone and decided to try out the HS330 earbuds they provided and to simply put it I was very impressed by the bass. Considering this is a $15 pair of earbuds that came free with a phone you wouldn't expect much from these, but compared to the JVC HA-FX101 earbyds that I have, they're much better than the JVCs. Not only can the bass be heard loud and clear, but it can be felt.

I tested these with:
- Galaxy Note 3 with Bass Booster application and nothing else
- Computer with ViPER4Windows and no AMP
- Computer with ViPER4Windows and E6 AMP

The best results were with the phone and bass boosting application in regards to quality of the bass and sound, but on the computer in both situations it allowed for more bass. They offered deep and boomy bass without really compromising sound quality too much. I did have to play around with the settings to get these just right, but with a little EQ and a bassy song these sounded great.

Considering what these are and what they can produce, these are more than worthy of the list. These will defiantly be replacing my JVCs.

I dug a little bit and found these:

What do you guys think?

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #724 of 1,853
So, I promised impressions of the JVC HA FX800, and they finally arrived a few days ago, so I've had some time to try them out, and the tl;dr is: they're awesome.

The finish on these things is beautiful. They're made from wood(if that wasn't apparent from the photo) with metal accents(more on those later). I've never owned anything with a silver cable before, and the cable on the FX800s is really soft and smooth, yet with little microphonics, especially if worn over the ear. The strain reliefs look sturdy enough, and the jack is pretty standard and nondescript.

There aren't any problems fit wise, they come with the usual S/M/L tips as well as two sets of Comply foamies, I personally don't really like Comply but since this is the Bass Lounge I thought I'd mention them. The long strain reliefs mean these can be worn over the ear or straight down, for me over the ear is better, but either works. It is pretty easy to get a seal, but this is where this IEM falls down. Sealing is good but somehow there isn't very much isolation. While no actual sound comes out of the vents, I suspect lots of it gets in through them. Using these on public transport I could hear every single announcement and the background noise level was pretty high. Isolation on these is definitely a weak point then, not great, but it just means you have an excuse to use these more at home 
ksc75smile.gif

Now to the sound. I'll leave the best bits to last, but let's start with the treble, which is in no way bad, I just want to leave the part we've all been waiting for till the end(nudge nudge wink wink). The trebles are pretty lively when the track calls for it, but they're pretty neutral too depending on the song. Some Trance and House Hi Hats sounded quite sizzling but the DnB drums and hats were fairly laid-back. The highs aren't necessarily a focal point, but not recessed either then.

Mids are pretty well controlled and clear, not recessed like you'd expect from a V Shape but not forward either. Perfect for EDM songs and the type of music we like in this thread. Vocals are decent, not as good as the AT IM50s but not as bad as the XB1000s. I'm not much of a midhead but I had to say something, so there it is.

Now, the meaty stuff. Soundstage on these is excellent, like almost out-of-the-head feel. It must be those metal vents, no sound physically leaks but there is a feel of "airiness" to these IEMs, it's absolutely wonderful and hits you as soon as you try them. A definite plus for me, especially in conjunction with the BASS!

So, time for my specialty 
biggrin.gif
. Bass on these things is extremely low-reaching for an IEM, very deep and has good sub bass. In terms of quality it's fast and well textured, yet still has that quantity-quality balance. It is impactful both in sub and mid bass too, so when your Electro House drop hits you're not exactly dropped in suffocating bass, more like sort of being in a wave machine in a swimming pool, if you get what I mean. Strong and forward yet deep and fast at the same time, perfectly executed bass.

Overall, I absolutely love these IEMs and I'd definitely recommend them if you can find them. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #725 of 1,853
So, I promised impressions of the JVC HA FX800, and they finally arrived a few days ago, so I've had some time to try them out, and the tl;dr is: they're awesome.

The finish on these things is beautiful. They're made from wood(if that wasn't apparent from the photo) with metal accents(more on those later). I've never owned anything with a silver cable before, and the cable on the FX800s is really soft and smooth, yet with little microphonics, especially if worn over the ear. The strain reliefs look sturdy enough, and the jack is pretty standard and nondescript.

There aren't any problems fit wise, they come with the usual S/M/L tips as well as two sets of Comply foamies, I personally don't really like Comply but since this is the Bass Lounge I thought I'd mention them. The long strain reliefs mean these can be worn over the ear or straight down, for me over the ear is better, but either works. It is pretty easy to get a seal, but this is where this IEM falls down. Sealing is good but somehow there isn't very much isolation. While no actual sound comes out of the vents, I suspect lots of it gets in through them. Using these on public transport I could hear every single announcement and the background noise level was pretty high. Isolation on these is definitely a weak point then, not great, but it just means you have an excuse to use these more at home :ksc75smile:

Now to the sound. I'll leave the best bits to last, but let's start with the treble, which is in no way bad, I just want to leave the part we've all been waiting for till the end(nudge nudge wink wink). The trebles are pretty lively when the track calls for it, but they're pretty neutral too depending on the song. Some Trance and House Hi Hats sounded quite sizzling but the DnB drums and hats were fairly laid-back. The highs aren't necessarily a focal point, but not recessed either then.

Mids are pretty well controlled and clear, not recessed like you'd expect from a V Shape but not forward either. Perfect for EDM songs and the type of music we like in this thread. Vocals are decent, not as good as the AT IM50s but not as bad as the XB1000s. I'm not much of a midhead but I had to say something, so there it is.

Now, the meaty stuff. Soundstage on these is excellent, like almost out-of-the-head feel. It must be those metal vents, no sound physically leaks but there is a feel of "airiness" to these IEMs, it's absolutely wonderful and hits you as soon as you try them. A definite plus for me, especially in conjunction with the BASS!

So, time for my specialty :D . Bass on these things is extremely low-reaching for an IEM, very deep and has good sub bass. In terms of quality it's fast and well textured, yet still has that quantity-quality balance. It is impactful both in sub and mid bass too, so when your Electro House drop hits you're not exactly dropped in suffocating bass, more like sort of being in a wave machine in a swimming pool, if you get what I mean. Strong and forward yet deep and fast at the same time, perfectly executed bass.

Overall, I absolutely love these IEMs and I'd definitely recommend them if you can find them. 

Oh, I've been waiting for this :p some nice stuff you got there..

This is the only in-ear phone that I know that is made of wood. From your review they seem really nice (and they certainly look nice too). Too bad for me I can't buy any IEMs because I never seem to get a good fit with any IEM I try :D

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #726 of 1,853
Finally did swap out the old stock pads on my Q40, the pleather was like cracked all over the place. :p Now I have to get used to the different sound I'm getting before the new paper towel pieces have settled in (gotten more compact, so currently the depth is a bit too large between the driver and the ear). I'm always shocked how big difference some pad modding / distance to the driver can do to the sound. Sounds a loooot more V or U-shaped currently than it did before the padswap, gone are the beautifully thick lush mids right now. :p

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #727 of 1,853
Those FX800s seem interesting, and I'm a sucker for the look of wood...or perhaps the sound of it?  How would something like the FX800s compare to my SE530s...they're old now, but geez was I shocked at how good they were when I first bought them many years ago...first time ever I heard audiophile quality bass and the search was on for clear bass in a fullsize headphone since then.  How the heck did I get suckered into this game...probably that bass.

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #728 of 1,853
  Those FX800s seem interesting, and I'm a sucker for the look of wood...or perhaps the sound of it?

Yeah apparently wood has good acoustic properties athough I'm no acoustic engineer. I assume because it is very rigid(?). Also I could spend all day looking at the FX800s. The wood and metal combo is just sensational.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #729 of 1,853
Depends on the wood. Think about it - guitars, violins and many other instruments are all made of wood. However, in a musical instrument, the wood is there because it will resonate - they want it to participate in the generation of the sound. On the other hand, most music reproduction devices (ie speakers & headphones) are typically designed with enclosures that are specifically designed *not* to resonate. You want to hear the sound on the recording, not the sound of the enclosure vibrating. But, in the end, it all depends on the specific headphone design.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #730 of 1,853
Depends on the wood. Think about it - guitars, violins and many other instruments are all made of wood. However, in a musical instrument, the wood is there because it will resonate - they want it to participate in the generation of the sound. On the other hand, most music reproduction devices (ie speakers & headphones) are typically designed with enclosures that are specifically designed *not* to resonate. You want to hear the sound on the recording, not the sound of the enclosure vibrating. But, in the end, it all depends on the specific headphone design.

I own only Wood Closed Back headphones, I think they all sound gorgeous and I prefer the sound of them over any plastic or metal cans I've owned in the past 

heck even my Open backs are wood, my HE 4 has custom Mango Wood Cups, and the LCD 2 I have on loan is made of some kind of wood 

wood just looks sexy and sounds equally sexier! 

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #731 of 1,853
I own only Wood Closed Back headphones, I think they all sound gorgeous and I prefer the sound of them over any plastic or metal cans I've owned in the past 

heck even my Open backs are wood, my HE 4 has custom Mango Wood Cups, and the LCD 2 I have on loan is made of some kind of wood 

wood just looks sexy and sounds equally sexier! 

Did you get a XC to audition yet?

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #733 of 1,853
Jun 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #734 of 1,853

Here's my thoughts on the HE 4 and LCD 2 Fazor for EDM

anyways. Leveing matching the two headphones... using a nice EDM track, I find the LCD 2 REALLY lacks the "GRUNT" of the HE 4 sub bass [but that's from the roll off of the Fazor] 

the vocal samples on the track sound pretty real on the LCD 2 

track here was Liquid Strangers "destroy him my robots" 

the HE 4 out did the LCD 2 Fazor on this track, a lot of Bass Sweeps and a pretty aggressive over laying track, the HE 4 does the "wobble Crunch" better as well... has to be that Linear Sub Bass  :/ and upper mids, yea spectural for the track shows the "Wobble Crunch"  the "crunch" or the real aggressive edge over top the bass is around 1.6k-2k hrz,

anad the BIG Bass sweep in the middle of the song goes to the HE 4, the vocals how ever sounded better with the LCD 2

moving onto another EDM track The Verdict Part 2 by Shadow Child 

mmm that sub bass is still pretty nice for this track on the LCD 2, nice and deeeeep, good tactility on the mids as well... and mmmmm that bass... I migth be liking the LCD 2 Fazor a bit much, the driver is pretty fraking huge, also here's a new detail in the track I've never heard before :D 

SWITCH TIME 

wow... the HE 4 sounds a lot different in the mids from the LCD 2, it's pretty glaring in this track, it also sounds a smidge "quiter" due to a little less central and lower mids, and oh... mai that drop... digs a little harder and deeper, but the decay notes or REALLY low ending trails for this bass track aren't as clear as on the LCD 2, and I hear that "new detail" on the HE 4 as well, it's a little easier to miss on the HE 4 than the LCD 2 

SWITCH, same track LCD 2 again, and ugh man those MIDS ARE FREAKING forward, treble is taken back a step, as are upper mids, still though for this Slower, more Nu House, or Deep House track the LCD 2 did out shine the HE 4 

On to Liquid Strangers "Black Out" it's a slower DubStep Tune with more vocals 

So the LCD 2 Faz, has a some what slower response to left and right seperation,  opening bass dropped, nice BIG and very dope, the deep bass on the LCD 2 F is nice, but the poor can still can't handle the wobbles, nor can the Fazor Model hold up to the HE 4 with a Sweeping Bass [sweep from 20-100hrz] but the bass while... not having as much impact has a little more weight to it, a little more heft, 

In that opening part of the track, the HE 4 got a better movement from left to right, there was a middle vocal before going totally to the left side, it gave a nicer visulation for the track [in my head anyways] the LCD 2 kinda missed that center call, just focusing more on the extreme left and Right

how ever, the HE 4 does wobble a lot better, good tactility in the mids, and the Sub Bass also has a touch more impact, but not as much weight :/ or heft. Mostly due to smaller drivers on the HE 4, hard to move as much air as that LCD 2 can, 

so I'd say teh two are tied for this track

Now onto the ultimate for Wobbles [imo] Sub Scapes Tomahawk, this song's been giving me chills for like 3 years now,

starting with the LCD 2, the mids are nice, but that wobble :/ will it CRUNCH, I'll be damned it does indeed! 

Dmn I'd say another tie, both sound really for that track

Onto a VERY cool track by Culprate

Yellow [A Second Glimpse] this tracks pretty nuts, full spectrum on slaught here [super busy and super tight bass lines] No wobbles just insanity 

starting with LCD 2

I like the mids, nice seperation amoungst all the chaos, bass is sufficent 

HE 4, oooh the mids are a little prettier, the upper mids have a nice shimmer to them in the opening of the song, ugh that Sub Bass, hits hard and heavy for the HE 4, again faster tracks the LCD 2 Fazor doesn't hold up to the HE 4 as well 

So I got two more tracks to do,

First is Fat Jons Bracelet, this track has been my go to demo for years, Sub Bass is HUGE, no wobbles but nice thumpin Sub Bass [even the DT 880 killed this track] Also I used EQ with the first 3 tracks [+3 from 50-110hrz very linear eq] 

For the last two tracks no eq, as these are my more balanced bass heavy tunes

Bracelet- Fat Jon, diggin the big bass on the HE 4, treble's a little harsh, but it's synth so there's that, drums have a nice pop to em, there's a "metallic" wind blowing in the background, sounds very cool... kinda like a little metal bracelet is resonnating in the back ground or something! 

Onto the LCD 2 F

ugh the balance, to much mids right off the bat, meh the bass lacks that good sub bass extension, treble is still a little harsh, again snyth high hats, and the metallic WIND is to forward, it loses it's atomsphere! 

NEXT Track

HE 4 does it best

Moving onto to Kool Keith/Black Elvis  " I'm seein Robots" 

LCD 2

Mmm bass has a nice tight thump to it, Keith's voice is very forward, I'm diggin it. 

HE 4...

Bass is a little not wetter but there's a lot more Sub Bass, and keith's voice comes back a smidge... but it's not bad good speed, good flow to the song

I'd say for this Rap Track I'm diggin the LCD 2 F more, does the vocals very nicely! 

all of that 

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #735 of 1,853
The big question we had was "planar vs dynamic"........so vs your D2000 what's the verdict?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back