The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #661 of 1,853
Me, with both although only about half an hour on the X5.

The DX90 does have a pretty respectable EQ but it's mainly the definition of neutrality and a wire with gain (with a slight sheen in the treble causing fatigue for me) so it won't really add much to whatever headphones you have. It also has really good extension both ends but is also ruthlessly revealing so better make sure your source files are in good condition as bassy tracks typically don't have the best mastering. The X5 from what my half an hour was worth seemed to be warmer and slightly more laid-back than the DX90 but it's still pretty respectable for a DAP. It's footprint is much bigger than the DX90's footprint though. I didn't try the EQ since I rarely use it so no impressions there, sorry.

EDIT: If you're a basshead I suggest getting an amp with a monstrous bass boost such as the FiiO E12 to pair with either of those DAPs. Apparently the E12 and X5 are a good pairing and it seems to have been designed to be so by FiiO as their footprints fit each other perfectly.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #662 of 1,853
  Me, with both although only about half an hour on the X5.

The DX90 does have a pretty respectable EQ but it's mainly the definition of neutrality and a wire with gain (with a slight sheen in the treble causing fatigue for me) so it won't really add much to whatever headphones you have. It also has really good extension both ends but is also ruthlessly revealing so better make sure your source files are in good condition as bassy tracks typically don't have the best mastering. The X5 from what my half an hour was worth seemed to be warmer and slightly more laid-back than the DX90 but it's still pretty respectable for a DAP. It's footprint is much bigger than the DX90's footprint though. I didn't try the EQ since I rarely use it so no impressions there, sorry.

EDIT: If you're a basshead I suggest getting an amp with a monstrous bass boost such as the FiiO E12 to pair with either of those DAPs. Apparently the E12 and X5 are a good pairing and it seems to have been designed to be so by FiiO as their footprints fit each other perfectly.

In my opinion X5 and E17 are a better pairing - this amp boosts the bass really nice without even using the bass boost itself (I'm not liking the Fiio amp hardware boost on any of them). I didn't really here any big difference between pairing it with E11 and E12 (without using bass boost).

In general, the X5 is not a player for a basshead - that's why I sold it and stick with my old iRiver, which can be waaaay more bassy when Rockboxed (I still didn't here any player, which can beat it in this department).

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #663 of 1,853
  anyone have any experience when it comes to being a basshead with the fiio x5 or the ibasso dx90?

Trying to decide between the two and need some fellow bashed advice rather than audiophiles seeking the holy grail of clarity.

I JUST WANT MY SKULL TO BE RATTLED WITH BASS. 
L3000.gif

Whichever DAP you choose, have you considered an amp with a good bass boost on top of it?  Like an Arrow 3G and or the Digizoid ZO?

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #664 of 1,853
Speaking of rockbox, my Sansa clip should arrive in a few days. I've heard of people rockboxing their DAPs but I still don't understand what it is. Can someone explain what rockbox is and how I can do it?

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #665 of 1,853
  anyone have any experience when it comes to being a basshead with the fiio x5 or the ibasso dx90?

Trying to decide between the two and need some fellow bashed advice rather than audiophiles seeking the holy grail of clarity.

I JUST WANT MY SKULL TO BE RATTLED WITH BASS. 
L3000.gif

You are looking for this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #666 of 1,853
Speaking of rockbox, my Sansa clip should arrive in a few days. I've heard of people rockboxing their DAPs but I still don't understand what it is. Can someone explain what rockbox is and how I can do it?

Rockbox is a free software: http://www.rockbox.org/
Mostly a lot better then the player's original one - for bassheads, great bass boost + parametric eq (but that's only maybe 1/100 of its features :wink:

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #667 of 1,853

You know what would be a way to compensate for subjectivity? (not really but read me out... :p)

What about making "rating" polls in the Club that "the Fighting ****" (i.e. Coq de Combat) created for each of the headphones in the list?
That way a balance can probably be reached (i.e. I would vote a 7 for the Yamaha Pro 500s but 4 others thing that a 5 is the max for them so avg 5.6 and this would be just for sound quality) from the people that have owned the headphones and might provide some kind of guidance to newbies or people that haven't tried them. They might then decide to either dismiss or buy...

I think that one of the Playstation trophy sites actually have "walkthroughs" for some games and they have an extra thread where people rate how difficult it is to get a platinum trophy... it all gets balanced out in the end... ....

Just a suggestion...

^^ This is a really good idea!

What does everyone think?

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #668 of 1,853
Yeah I second that. Sounds like a good idea

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #669 of 1,853
Agreed. Sounds like a great idea. Let's do it.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #670 of 1,853
A quick suggestion: I would suggest going through the rating polls in batches of 10 or maybe even 20 over the course of, say, a week. That would give all of us enough time to chip in our ratings and opinions. But what is the format for the ratings, exactly?

Also, I would like to add the Xiaomi Pistons 1.0 to the IEM list. User 1cleahead sent me a pair for reviews and judging from initial impressions, I think these would make a very capable and satisfying basshead IEMs on a strict budget -- probably even more so than the 2.0.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #672 of 1,853
They ARE discontinued, but they don't retail below the pros. They go for about $800 USD while the pro goes for about $500 USD

My bad, you were right. I was thinking of the pro 900 for some reason. Lol

They are still fully available from their own webshop. I think Amazon is wrong for the product itself maybe the seller cannot get them anymore because he went top low with his prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back