The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #676 of 1,853
No prob! :wink:

And yes, if you do like the Pro's and want a bit more impact, a bit more clarity up-top and wider soundstage, the Sig DJs are an excellent pick up!!
Since I'm also a bit compulsive buying stuff, I'm just going to say... DO IT!!! Pull the trigger!!! (and post your impressions and comparisons to your current kick-ass gear! :)).

I pulled the trigger and am now a proud owner of the ULTRASONE Signature DJ! :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/SZzf2kCb0tA[/VIDEO]​

Above video - very corporate - I like the mention of cable feature where guy claims swapping cables can be done within "the blink of an eye" - I know this is a major feature when I'm looking for new cans - anything longer than 1x eye blink - no good to me. Main reason I posted this video was to see if anyone can identify what shirts these guys are wearing ? I particularly like the red shirt. I'd love a red shirt like that to wear with my Sig DJ's - just such a winning combo don't you think? :D :rolleyes:

As we know, the Sig DJ's are now discontinued, so this is the start of vendors stock going, going, gone and I thought best not hang around, so I got in "early" before there's only one vendor in all of Europe sitting on one pristine pair, but demanding a kings ransom with enticements such as "shrink wrapped factory sealed new , never to be seen again, a masterpiece is headphonery" etc with a £950+ price attached.

So they only just arrived with me yesterday and I am in love with these cans for sure.

I already have the Signature Pro's, which are great, but the bass on the Sig DJ's just puts an instant smile on my face as soon as I used them - which was simply these cans plugged directly into my iPad Air playing iTunes.

The bass on these cans is one of the best cans if not the best closed back portable cans I've heard for sheer quality of bass - not impact - just the perfect precision of the tight punch that feels so expertly controlled.

Why the Sig Pros retail for more than these Sig DJ's is beyond me, and though the Pros are very good cans in their own rights, I prefer the Sig DJ's more for it's beautifully managed pronounced bass.

The soundstage on the Sig DJs is quite large for closed cans with good seperation and imaging. I was listening to a new PSY Goa album for the first time with these cans and on one track the intro sound effects sounded like they were coming outside the headphones, I actually took cans off just to check - very impressive.

I read recently a post by a member stating the Sig DJ's being the best quality bass they had ever heard from a headphone, and I can certainly appreciate that comment, as the bass on these cans is superb.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/c8Ai6Vf6H4w[/VIDEO]​

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #677 of 1,853
So much of what we talk about are the Bassy headphones but I want to know how many if you are listening out of vintage amps/receivers?

The quality and impact of bass out of one of these early units is incredible. My first aha moment came after having a Magni/ZO double amp stack feeding my D2000's and Pro900's...... And loving it, and thinking it was the Schiit.......then I got involved in the vintage thread and bought a Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp for $80 just to see what the difference was.

And sold the Magni the next week. I own 8 different vintage systems now, most running into speakers as well, but the headphone out of the early units is direct off the amp via a resistor and truly makes a headphone shine. Flipping the loudness switch on the Kenwood that first day was almost a religious experience for the bass......:D

Anyway, I see the price of headphone amps and am amazed more guys don't go vintage. Yes, they take up more space than a Magni but where you have the room, there's no comparison for sonic and bass response. Try it. You'll thank me.

My latest.......Pioneer SA-9900

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #678 of 1,853
Try the Sherwood S7110. The most bassiest of all receivers I have ever heard. The rest of the Sherwood breed is very balanced in sound though.

I plugged the HE6 in the speaker out of the S7110 and the was punching my head in. Wouldn't dare plug in the SZ2000 :p

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #679 of 1,853
So Orgeo I have a question for you guys, MY D2k isn't as fast as my HE 4 is and I don't use it as much any more [I'm also not out and about as much as I was so I don't use my portable rig much] but is the modded D7k tigher than the D2k is? If so I may have to save up for one over the summer. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #680 of 1,853
Get off my lawn whippersnappers
tongue.gif

I was doing dual drivers before it was cool!!

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #681 of 1,853
  Get off my lawn whippersnappers
tongue.gif

I was doing dual drivers before it was cool!!

Pff I've got an old pair of 3lb 70's Military GRADE Panasonics that had Dual Drivers :3, those mofo's where so heavy I wasn't sure if the bass I was hearing was from the cans or the physical weight of the headphone as it bounced again'st my neck as I walked q.q 

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #682 of 1,853
@ gikigill.  What advantages, if any, have you heard from a two way headphone compared to a single driver, out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #683 of 1,853
QUestion for you nuts, any of you have an LCD XC? I've been super curious to how it sounds and I'm seriously in persuit of a Demo of one, Today I've spent some time with my D2k and I've found I'm starting to prefer it un eq'd more now, with eq [I used to use a straight +4 30-110 hrz eq (or rather -4 to everything but bass)] but as of lately I'm starting to enjoy it with out the EQ, and even without the EQ some times it's too bassy for my tastes, I starting to enjoy my HE 4 a lot, and wondering how the LCD XC comapres as a closed back planar to the D2k, many say it lacks the "slam" of the D2k but... I'm in the road about how much I like the D2ks slam

SO I need to HEAR ONE for my self and COMPARE it to my triple threat! 

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #684 of 1,853
Just by looking at the measurements and going by many reports, I think it is more than likely that the bass in the LCDXC will not be louder in volume compared to the D2000...but I am willing to bet that the bass produced will be of a higher quality.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #685 of 1,853
Maybe ask jnonweiler, the guy I sold my XC to. I don't know if he'd let you demo it, but it couldn't hurt to try. He's a pretty cool guy, so MAYBE he'll let you.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #686 of 1,853
  Just by looking at the measurements and going by many reports, I think it is more than likely that the bass in the LCDXC will not be louder in volume compared to the D2000...but I am willing to bet that the bass produced will be of a higher quality.

I'm not looking for "louder" bass, what I like about the HE 4 is the speed of the bass, and the tactility.  THE D2k has a nice level of slam, but doesn't have the attack of the HE 4, yes it's LOUDER but some times too loud,

this track is one where I much prefer the HE 4 to the D2k,

I'm very much in the middle of the road in prefering the HE 4 or D2k for bass, thankfully my HM801 is a very bassy DAP, I've also liked the Hifiman DAPS for there some what "organic" and lush bass so for on the go, the D2k works nicely with the HM801 but some times [due to how warm n slow the hm801 is] the D2k bass is a little too slow for me... of my headphones it's my least listened to >.>

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #687 of 1,853
  I'm not looking for "louder" bass, what I like about the HE 4 is the speed of the bass, and the tactility.  THE D2k has a nice level of slam, but doesn't have the attack of the HE 4, yes it's LOUDER but some times too loud,

this track is one where I much prefer the HE 4 to the D2k,

I'm very much in the middle of the road in prefering the HE 4 or D2k for bass, thankfully my HM801 is a very bassy DAP, I've also liked the Hifiman DAPS for there some what "organic" and lush bass so for on the go, the D2k works nicely with the HM801 but some times [due to how warm n slow the hm801 is] the D2k bass is a little too slow for me... of my headphones it's my least listened to >.>

Here is what you need to do.  EQ the bass down on the D2000 to match that of the HE 4....then make an assesment of how tight the bass is compared to each other.  This might answer many questions for you.  I am sure the HE4 is a great can, perhaps there may be no upgrade path for the bass presentation of the HE4s.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #688 of 1,853
  @ gikigill.  What advantages, if any, have you heard from a two way headphone compared to a single driver, out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking.

The lower end seems to be better defined. The SZ2000, once they open up are a very clean set of phones as the bass and the rest of the frequencies seem to be well seperated.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #689 of 1,853
So Orgeo I have a question for you guys, MY D2k isn't as fast as my HE 4 is and I don't use it as much any more [I'm also not out and about as much as I was so I don't use my portable rig much] but is the modded D7k tigher than the D2k is? If so I may have to save up for one over the summer. 

Yes, for sure. Quite a but tighter, especially Lawton modded.

That said I don't ever consider my D2000 sloppy, muddy or slow.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #690 of 1,853
Yes, for sure. Quite a but tighter, especially Lawton modded.

That said I don't ever consider my D2000 sloppy, muddy or slow.

Me niehter, but it's not as fast and tight as the HE 4 is :/ 

Here is what you need to do.  EQ the bass down on the D2000 to match that of the HE 4....then make an assesment of how tight the bass is compared to each other.  This might answer many questions for you.  I am sure the HE4 is a great can, perhaps there may be no upgrade path for the bass presentation of the HE4s.

Eqing the bass down won't solve anything. I don't really use eq, my D2k is primarly for my portable rig and I have no means of EQ when using my portable rig there for, any headphones that are going to b considered for use in that rig are ones I'd like not to EQ. I prefer Dry Fast headphone, since my hm801 is warm and some what slow, the syngery works nicely

but the D2k is one of the more warm cans I've owned. That said how ever I do like it's treble presentation 

On the positive I found a member here in the US whos' agree'd to let me demo his LCD XC, so I'll compare it to my three headphones here soon! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back