the Audiologists impressions thread (pun most definitely intended ;) )
Dec 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #61 of 296
I've called Sears in the past, and asked for clarification on that as well. They only do molds, not impressions. Molds are permanent, and while you can use that as an impression as well, it's pretty costly.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #62 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone finds an affordable place (less than $50 for both ears) in NYC for ear impressions, I would love to hear it. A few places quoted me $75/ear
frown.gif

I live in Manhattan and the cheapest I could find was $50 total for impressions--I forget where exactly, it was a place in midtown near the Empire State Building that was listed on Westone's recommended audiologist site. I ended up going with Dr. Resnick because he gave me a good price for the impressions combined with my custom tips. I think you're better off asking what the total price for impressions + customs will cost, and see if they'll give you a discount.

I don't understand how some places charge $75+ for a simple 10-15 minute procedure (impressions) that shouldn't cost more than $20.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #63 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've called Sears in the past, and asked for clarification on that as well. They only do molds, not impressions. Molds are permanent, and while you can use that as an impression as well, it's pretty costly.

Ah thank you, looks like I won't be getting customs after all.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #64 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Manhattan and the cheapest I could find was $50 total for impressions--I forget where exactly, it was a place in midtown near the Empire State Building that was listed on Westone's recommended audiologist site. I ended up going with Dr. Resnick because he gave me a good price for the impressions combined with my custom tips. I think you're better off asking what the total price for impressions + customs will cost, and see if they'll give you a discount.

I don't understand how some places charge $75+ for a simple 10-15 minute procedure (impressions) that shouldn't cost more than $20.

I found a place for 45 for both ears in great neck (I'm in bayside, queens so it's closer than the city) but I'm wondering if anyone found those magic $10/ear places. I'm pretty sure those places don't exist here

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #67 of 296
Spector. When u call say you only need the impressions and your sending it to a third party and they will lower the price. I got quoted $80 then said what I just told you to say. When he heard I'm sending the impression off he said $20 an ear

I went to Anderson audiology in Henderson, Nevada. He is the ONLY name on the UE recommended list and does many of them a day. He was nce, friendly and explained everything to me first. He had some UE11 on the table and some sort of music player and was very helpful. Seems ok.

My impressions canal seems a little thinner than the purple ones a few pages back, I hope that's ok. Also one ear the material went past the cotton on one side of it. He said it was fine.

I'm making my TF10 pro into customs.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #68 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spector. When u call say you only need the impressions and your sending it to a third party and they will lower the price. I got quoted $80 then said what I just told you to say. When he heard I'm sending the impression off he said $20 an ear

I went to Anderson audiology in Henderson, Nevada. He is the ONLY name on the UE recommended list and does many of them a day. He was nce, friendly and explained everything to me first. He had some UE11 on the table and some sort of music player and was very helpful. Seems ok.

My impressions canal seems a little thinner than the purple ones a few pages back, I hope that's ok. Also one ear the material went past the cotton on one side of it. He said it was fine.

I'm making my TF10 pro into customs.

Unfortunately I told them that I only needed the impressions to be used by a third party, but that's the only price all 3 places I found gave me. It's a conspiracy against me I swear.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #69 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by y3110w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much does Frances Miranda charge for an impression? And are there any you guys know in Los Angles for considerable prices?

Really, no one knows. I'm looking for a $20 impression around Los Angeles, anyone know any?

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #70 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you need to go back when the customs arrive?

To make sure they fit *properly*. This happens on the first try less often then you might think. You typically get a series of days to get things refitted or submitted for warranty of defects, but after that you're stuck with what you've got. So doctors and labs highly encourage if you have no or little experience with deep seated impressions to come back after you get the final product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a place for 45 for both ears in great neck (I'm in bayside, queens so it's closer than the city) but I'm wondering if anyone found those magic $10/ear places. I'm pretty sure those places don't exist here

Short of your insurance covering them, those places just don't exist for that cheap. A couple people in smaller areas might get a deal, but by and large, anything under $75 for the set of impressions walking out the door (IMHO) is reasonable. I have a bunch of friends who do audio work in the field, and most of us have custom plugs. One of them has a mother out on Long Island who is an audiologist, and if he pass along our names as friends, she would do the impressions at a deal of $40 for a set shipped to Westone. Thats a deal really.

I think of this like spending $500+ on a set of high end Grados or Senns. If you're not interested spending that sort of money on a set of headphones to get that last mile of quality and comfort, then I'd knock custom impressions off the list as the cost and return on quality and enjoyment is largely comparable. There is a gain from $250 to $500, but it's the law of diminishing returns. My impressions were around $50, the UM-56 tips were another $100 or so, and then the UM3x IEMs were around $330. I've sunk around $500 or so in my Westone IEMs, but they are by and large the best headphone experience I've ever had. I think you get what you pay for within reason. As always, your milage may vary, the above is just how I see it.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #71 of 296
Maria D. Rosa, H.I.S.
A Atlantic Hearing AId Center
2310 East Oakland Park Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306
954-563-4226

I would strongly recommend Maria, excellent job, very professional and personable, she too owns a pair customs. BTW for impressions of both sides it’s $35.00
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #73 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I read somewhere that they shrink after 2 weeks? i could be wrong..

I don't think they do. I use custom molded earplugs for my motorbike, and 5 years on they are still a tight seal. I believe the same silicone substance is used for the molds.

I just had my ears re-molded for some Big Ear earbuds. Should be delivered soon, can't wait!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Good enough"? Does the seal break when you smile or move your face in a weird position?

When my molds were done they placed a foam block in my mouth so that the ear canal was at its widest opening. I assume the audiologists are using this technique too?

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #74 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When my molds were done they placed a foam block in my mouth so that the ear canal was at its widest opening. I assume the audiologists are using this technique too?

Yes, the guy I went to did this.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #75 of 296
Has anyone gone to Lisa Tannenbaum in LA? I think someone recommended her to me a while back...I guess my choice is either her or Miranda?

Anyone done site visits instead of at the office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back