the Audiologists impressions thread (pun most definitely intended ;) )
Sep 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 296
For people in southern-middle Georgia I recommend Margarita Ilecki. She has an accent that's a little hard to understand but she does an excellent job and only charged me $20. She is at the Phoebe Hospital in Albany, Georgia. Although she has done thousands of impressions before (She's a speech therapist and audiologist who works with the hard of hearing) and sends them off to Westone for hearing aid manufacture, she had never had someone come in who just wanted the impressions handed to him. So the price may change in the future if her clinic supervisor finds there's money to be made.

The impressions were perfect, and she took a VAST amount of time explaining things to me and testing my ears for free. Wonderful doctor.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 296
The UE website list led me to Marshall Chasin at musicians clinics of Canada (www.musiciansclinics.com). He did the impression as part of a hearing test. Straightforward & efficient.

It was reassuring to find the hearing test came out ok. I was becoming convinced that not being able to make out conversation in a noisy environment was a sign that my hearing was going, but the test said that was not the case.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 296
folks
Wanted to check, is there, for lack of a better term, an expiry date on impressions, I got mine two weeks ago, and it looks like it will be another couple of weeks before I can send them off. Should I be concerned? Do they become britial or shrink or anything? Slightly OT, do people know if JHaudio charges credit cards right away or do they wait until they get the impressions?

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #22 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by stick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
folks
Wanted to check, is there, for lack of a better term, an expiry date on impressions, I got mine two weeks ago, and it looks like it will be another couple of weeks before I can send them off. Should I be concerned? Do they become britial or shrink or anything? Slightly OT, do people know if JHaudio charges credit cards right away or do they wait until they get the impressions?

I thought I read somewhere that they shrink after 2 weeks? i could be wrong..

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #23 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone familiar with an audiologist in New York? Manhattan in particular.

I went to Scientific Hearing Aid Center at 243 West 30th Street. It is very close to Penn Station.

I was charged $50 for the impressions and they were good enough that I did not need a refit for my JH 13.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #24 of 296
I too read that the integrity of ear-impressions is lessened after 2-3 weeks.

However, when i got my ear impressions made yesterday, i was told by the audiologist that they are made out of a silicone compound, and will not shrink or decay. I'm gonna take his word for it, though it probably won't be a problem for me, since mine are already in express mail to JHA.

On that note: I Visited an Excellent Audiologist/Hearing aid Center in San Jose California today: Contact Us

Great experience, really. (Thanks hifidk !!!).
The audiologist first checked my ears, using a really neat wireless ear-camera-probe-thingy and i got to see the inside of my ear on the monitor... Did you know your ear drum is translucent? I could see the little bones in my ear through it! Didn't know that was possible!
Anyway, he was quick and efficient about it. Stuck some cotton in my ear, then the RTV silicone in my ear. Got a real bite block which was slightly wedged shaped with 3 different ridges for biting (different measurements of bit. i went with the smallest). done in 15 minutes.

The best part? Total cost of Impressions/appointment? $20. For BOTH ears. yeah. pretty excellent. Including a bubble wrap pouch and shipping box.

perspective: next cheapest option within 15 miles: $25 per ear.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also have an appointment with Beth this Saturday, it's $75 for both I believe. If it fits perfectly then the extra money would be well worth it.

That's my logic, considering that she is recommended by JH himself. Let us know how it goes!

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #27 of 296
I used Kenwood Hearing Solutions in Santa Rosa, CA. They were great. You know you have a good audiologist when he has a Monitor Audio 5.1 setup and Yamaha AVR in his office!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back