The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Feb 14, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #346 of 1,529
Glad to see an appreciation thread for this amazing headphone :D. I'm just in love with it's sound with my HA-160D, but I've never tried it with other amps to see how they fair with the HA-160D. Do anyone have much experience with this combination as well as other amps?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #347 of 1,529
Just got possibly the last (if not one of) retail pair available in the UK. Sr. 1961

Beautiful headphone. I'm burning it in now as it seemed a little shrill and thin sounding immediately out of the box... normal i guess.. Looking forward to seeing how they improve.

The fit is very odd though... quite loose. Not unwearable or uncomfortable, just feels unstable. Any opinions on this besides putting a rubber band on the wings?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #348 of 1,529
I think that's just the way the Audio-Technica headband is designed. With the wings they just "float" on the head, which can give the unstable feeling. You could use a rubber band but I just got used to it after a few days :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #349 of 1,529
Actually, compared to W1000X, W3000 are much looser on the head, like it's going to fall off any second. W1000X seem to be a tiny bit smaller and thus tighter, more stable sitting. But I have to point out I have rather small head and it's not as dramatic as it feels on first "sight". It just takes a few days to get used to it, especially if you are used to something much snugger.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #350 of 1,529
Quote:
Actually, compared to W1000X, W3000 are much looser on the head, like it's going to fall off any second. W1000X seem to be a tiny bit smaller and thus tighter, more stable sitting. But I have to point out I have rather small head and it's not as dramatic as it feels on first "sight". It just takes a few days to get used to it, especially if you are used to something much snugger.

The same with the AD2Ks they fit tighter / better.  The W3Ks are much looser.  Is there a way to tighten it?

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #352 of 1,529
Quote:
The same with the AD2Ks they fit tighter / better.  The W3Ks are much looser.  Is there a way to tighten it?

You can string an elastic hair band or a rubber band between the wings to pull them closer together.  My head shape seems to work well with all the AT headphone wing systems I've tried on since they all fit fairly snugly and don't flop around my head if I move normally or even headbang lightly.  

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #354 of 1,529
On my W3000s the earcups press against each other at the bottom, and the right earpad sort of "digs in" to the left one, creating a small groove in the leather.. it doesn't affect anything when I'm using them but I'm wondering if anyone else's also has this?

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #357 of 1,529
Quote:
Could someone explain to me what is meant by "fastest headphones".  I've heard it before in describing headphones.

My definition of speed is how quickly sound decays before the next note plays.  If a headphone is 'slow', residual notes stay within the cup and muddles a bit with the next note on higher speed music.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #358 of 1,529
To me slow headphones have trouble playing quick detailed music correctly.  Notes that would have been fine alone or slower sound distorted and notes begin to blend together where they shouldn't.  Quick headphones can create these notes properly even if the music is fast/detailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back