1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by macedonianhero, Oct 4, 2012.
First

Back
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Next

Last
  1. dreamwhisper
    It has better bass than the W5000 and W11jpn imo, though I got a terrible fit out of the W5000.
    What amp have you been using?

2. r one
    I'm agree, W3000 isn't a great all rounder but with a good source (violectric or nothing for me [​IMG]), it will be more versatile.

3. AppleheadMay

With the W3000?
    P1-u, HA5000ANV, Zana, HP4, Yammy.

4. dreamwhisper
    Oh it's fit probably.
    I hang my pair off my earlobes a bit so that the middle of the cups is in front and below my ears.
    Jan Meier has a good guide on headphone placement.
    But ya, the bass is some of the best bass I've heard in a dynamic headphone.

Best of luck with the GS-X, I enjoy my GS-1 a lot with them.

5. AppleheadMay

Yep, I always place my cans like that and I find it makes a big difference.
    I found the fit of the AT headphones fine (unlike many others that don't) as long as the headband hasn't been bent (a trick often used by those who don't like the fit). Bending it back doesn't get it back to normal imo.

I'm not saying the W3000's bass and highs aren't good enough, they are just very mid-centric (which makes them magical for voices) but compared to the L3000 (a bass monster) they do lack in bass. Compared to D7000 and TH-900 they lack in both ends of the spectrum. 
    The TH-900 lacks a bit in the mids but I it can be solved with good matching of the source and amp. Still, a can with the characteristics of the TH-900 and W3000 combined would be my absolute favorite.

I do have high hopes for the GS-X indeed. It should match (or rather be complemented) perfectly with my warmisch source.

6. up late
    love the way this can does treble. agree about the bass tho. but hey it's an a-t.

7. filuS
    Be careful what you wish for, maybe next we will get a can that lacks in bass, mid and treble. Which by definition would be a combination of TH900 and W3000 - just not the one you would hope for :wink: I personally like what W3000 does with trebles, absolutely love mids and I don't find bass to be lacking completely. I feel the impact, it's controlled and tight - not perfect by any means, it leaves a room for something to wish for, but I can live with it (considering the strengths of these cans). As it was said - it's A-T, which is some sort of love-hate thing.

8. AppleheadMay

LoL. Indeed, we could get that. But we have to think positive. The glass is either half full or half empty.  :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the AT woodies. I don't miss any treble or bass either when I listen to a W3000. Just when you directly compare them to for example an L3000 (more bass),  or D7000/TH-900 (deeper well controlled bass and treble) you hear it.

9. up late
    the th900 has more pronounced treble than the w3000anv but it's sharper and not as delicate imo

10. r one
    True. But TH900 with an amplifier like Balancing Act with smooth tubes can revelate beautifiul mids and smoothier treble too

11. up late
    maybe but if an amp is smoothing out the treble peaks then what else is it smoothing over? dunno how you can fill in recessed mids without using eq.

12. r one
    for example, by using a midcentric preamp tube like mullard familly ecc 32 or 35 and PX4 powet tubes to keep all the dynamic and transparency. It's a real magic combination with the Fostex.... for my taste of course.

13. vlach

Vocal and also acoustic music for me :)

14. vlach

I get great results with the Bryston BHA-1.

15. filuS
    Svetlana 2 is awesome with W3000 as well

cky8 likes this.
First

Back
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Next

Last