The Audio Lounge
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #35,146 of 36,075
He-1 dirt cheap compared.

The Suprema system, Sonus faber,costs $750,000 (that’s not a typo) and consists of two main speaker columns, two subwoofers, and a single electronic crossover.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #35,147 of 36,075
"a single electronic crossover"

Well then I'm not buying

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #35,148 of 36,075
just found this in my collection....

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #35,149 of 36,075
just found this in my collection....

That is for sure a Space-y one Whazz, I'll finish off this week's Wow with this little number :beerchug:

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #35,150 of 36,075
My choices for the current word of the week before the new one magically appears..

WOW - Space

I have seen all three of these performers in small venues....

First, Jimmy LaFave - The Open Space from the album Road Novel. I have seen him a couple of times at the Ann Arbor Ark. I have several of his CDs... and yes, I do still play CDs sometimes. Sadly we lost him to cancer a few years ago...

I first became aware of Mary Gauthier (pronounced Go Shay) back in the 90s when she opened for Darden Smith at the Ann Arbor Ark. I have been a fan ever since and have some of her CDs. I have shared some of her songs for other WOWs in the past. I have often discovered new (to me) artists when they have opened for someone I already like. I have seen Texas singer songwriter Darden Smith several times... including one time in London with Tom and during locktown he did several internet concerts from home that really helped the isolation.

Empty Spaces from the album Mercy Now

I have talked about the amazing Scottish singer songwriter Jackie Leven a few times and how Tom an I were able to see him perform in an intimate setting (the Half Moon Pub in Putney) back when I was with Tom in Brixton in 2005/2006. We were sad when Jackie died and now Tom is gone too. If you like songwriters like Leonard Cohen you might like Jackie. This reminds me of the night we saw him... I wish I knew what the setlist was.

A Little Voice in Space - Live ( with UK multi-instrumentalist Michael Cosgrave)

I want to watch this on my tv system.... the whole setlist from a show that Jackie did at that same venue about a year and a half before Tom and I saw him. He played a lot longer that night at the Half Moon Putney but this looks good...

oh this does remind me of what we saw.... we were in the third row.... which actually was a bit close for me...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #35,151 of 36,075
Awesome stuff Mary, forgot all about Jimmy but I only have Texoma and Peace Town and as you probably know "A little voice in space" is not on :wink: Can't believe I'm not familiar with Ms. "Go Shay" as I do have some of Darden's material. Think I have his Self titled album from the late 80's and Native Soil from early 90's. Being from Austin I caught him in 2001 at the Mercury as well he had Nancy Griffin, Trish Murphy, ASTEX and Abra Moore who was the instigator (in Texas) who is claimed to have formed one of my fave bands Poi Dog Pondering out of Austin (Hawaii really as the lead singer Frank Orrall was from there and moved to Austin) and my next door neighbor Bruce was their main bass player during the Austin years:grin: I highly recommend their first three albums "Self Titled", "Wishing like a mountain and thinking like the sea" and "Volo Volo" plus Pomegranate:wink: Here's one of their first Hits in Texas:beerchug:

That's Bruce upside down in the Orange hat, he also bought my old pair of JBL 4311B Control Monitors from me before moving off to Chicago when they relocated from Austin!

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #35,152 of 36,075
I hope everyone gives some of their stuff a listen, some really heartfelt lyrics on all PDP albums :beerchug:

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #35,153 of 36,075
The magic happens now Mary

WOW: Head

ELO

Kylie Minogue

Dionne Warwick

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #35,154 of 36,075

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #35,156 of 36,075
I picked up a FLAC copy of this album. And here is a review of it:

John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band – Live Peace In Toronto 1969 (1969)​

Although one of the world's best-kept secrets at the time, this was John Lennon's declaration of independence from the Beatles, the document of a concert appearance at Toronto's Rock and Roll Revival festival about a month after the conclusion of the Abbey Road sessions. Thrown together literally on the wing (they rehearsed only on the flight from England), the ad-hoc band consisting of Lennon, Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton on guitar, Klaus Voorman on bass, and Alan White on drums hit the stage to the surprise and delight of the thousands who packed Varsity Stadium. "We're just going to do numbers we know, you know, because we've never played together before," confesses John, who was reportedly extremely nervous before going on. But the repertoire ought to have been a cakewalk for a quartet of seasoned rockers -- blues-based oldies ("Blue Suede Shoes," "Money," "Dizzy Miss Lizzie") and basic recent Lennon numbers ("Yer Blues," "Cold Turkey," "Give Peace a Chance") -- and they lay it down in a dignified, noisy, glorified garage band manner. Lennon is in fine vocal form, confident and funny despite his frequent apologies, while Yoko confines her caterwauling to "Cold Turkey." That was side one of the original LP. Side two, alas, was devoted entirely to Ono's wailing, pitchless, brainless, banshee vocalizing on "Don't Worry Kyoko" and "John John (Let's Hope for Peace)" -- the former backed with plodding rock rhythms and the latter with feedback. No wonder you see many used copies of the LP with worn A-sides and clean, unplayed B-sides -- and Yoko's "art" is just as irritating today as it was in 1969. But in those days, if you wanted John you had to take the whole package.

I was at that concert. Imagine this line up: Whiskey Howl, Bo Diddley, Chicago, Junior Walker and the All Stars, Tony Joe White, Alice Cooper, Chuck Berry, Cat Mother and the All Night News Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Milkwood (Toronto-based Polydor recording artists), Doug Kershaw, and The Doors. Screaming Lord Sutch was later added to the bill. The Alice Cooper Band was the backing band for Gene Vincent,[5] while a member of Flapping, Ron Marinelli, Danny Taylor, and Hugh Leggat a member of Nucleus, were members of the backing band for Chuck Berry. The Doors, as the headlining act, closed the show.

1704910848618.png

The following artists' live music performances were issued on album and cassette:

Chicago Transit Authority – "Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival 1969 – Vol. I" (Accord 7140, 1981)

Chuck Berry – "Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival 1969 – Vol. II & Vol. III" (Accord 7171/7172, 1982)

Alice Cooper – "Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival 1969 – Vol. IV" (Accord 7162, 1982)

Bo Diddley – "Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival 1969 – Vol. V" (Accord 7182, 1982)

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band – "Live Peace in Toronto 1969" (Apple 3362, 1969)

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #35,157 of 36,075

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #35,160 of 36,075

Users who are viewing this thread

Back