The Audio Lounge
Apr 28, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #32,911 of 36,070
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #32,912 of 36,070
If the DAC is USB powered, yes you'll need the +5V wire. If it's AC powered you can remove it. This is a way that a lot of people stop USB noise on thier systems.

@jerick70 is correct except that some self-powered DACs look for the 5V to "detect the signal" so won't do anything without it.

For example: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-115#post-15551150
(in that post, the desktop DACs seem to use the 5V to "power the galvanic isolation" so...even less straight-forward...)

Thanks! And, now - here's the rest of the story:

I'm designing a USB Matrix Switch, that will have ~5 inputs (from PCs and an Android Net Streamer), and 4 or 5 outputs (to wall-powered & portable DACs).
The main switches will select the D+ & D- signals. There will be separate toggle switches on the outputs, to select either None, a +5V pass-through, or the very low noise linear +5V charger power.

Since the data signals are differential, I'm not sure whether the GND should be switchable (along with the +5V), or always passed-through for shielding?

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #32,913 of 36,070
IMG_1831.gif

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #32,914 of 36,070
True story! 1st time I ever dropped "A" this song was playing when it kicked in:smirk: and now you'll have the answer to some of my crazy post :laughing: :v: There is no long term bramage eiver:scream:

Couple from two sweet ladies :wink: One is not even singing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just love that deep cello in this one:beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #32,916 of 36,070

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #32,917 of 36,070
When I got home from work on Friday evening, I connected my HiBy RS6 DAP to my Main PC, as a USB DAC, with its 4.4mm Balanced output connected to the 4.4mm Balanced input on my KAEI TAP-1S Hybrid Amp. When I've been able to sit down for a while, I've been enjoying listening to my Reecho SG-01 OVA and IMR Elan+. Also ordered some additional (M/ML/L) Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec ear tips, to use with my various IEMs.

Between doing weekly chores on Saturday, I spent some time upgrading both of my Laptops to Manjaro (22.1) Linux.
The older Asus Eee PC 1215B Netbook is running the Xfce Desktop, and the newer Sager NP8967 (Clevo P960RF) is running KDE Plasma.
Since the Linux version of JRiver Media Center is developed for Debian, I was concerned about whether there would be issues trying to install it on Manjaro.
It turns out the installation on Manjaro (Arch) Linux was even easier than installing MC30 on Kubuntu (Debian) Linux.
Just had to enable the Arch User Repository (AUR) in the Software Package Manager, and then I was able to search for "jriver-mediacenter", and click on Install.
Once MC30 was installed on the Laptop, it immediately "saw" the MC30 DLNA Media Server running on my Main PC, and was able to play tracks from its Library.

One particularly impressive thing about the Manjaro installations on these two Laptops, is that I selected Swap Partitions with Hibernation, and Hibernation appears to be working just fine. Makes we wish that my Main PC was running Manjaro... :wink: :ksc75smile:

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #32,919 of 36,070
When I got home from work on Friday evening, I connected my HiBy RS6 DAP to my Main PC, as a USB DAC, with its 4.4mm Balanced output connected to the 4.4mm Balanced input on my KAEI TAP-1S Hybrid Amp. When I've been able to sit down for a while, I've been enjoying listening to my Reecho SG-01 OVA and IMR Elan+. Also ordered some additional (M/ML/L) Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec ear tips, to use with my various IEMs.

Between doing weekly chores on Saturday, I spent some time upgrading both of my Laptops to Manjaro (22.1) Linux.
The older Asus Eee PC 1215B Netbook is running the Xfce Desktop, and the newer Sager NP8967 (Clevo P960RF) is running KDE Plasma.
Since the Linux version of JRiver Media Center is developed for Debian, I was concerned about whether there would be issues trying to install it on Manjaro.
It turns out the installation on Manjaro (Arch) Linux was even easier than installing MC30 on Kubuntu (Debian) Linux.
Just had to enable the Arch User Repository (AUR) in the Software Package Manager, and then I was able to search for "jriver-mediacenter", and click on Install.
Once MC30 was installed on the Laptop, it immediately "saw" the MC30 DLNA Media Server running on my Main PC, and was able to play tracks from its Library.

One particularly impressive thing about the Manjaro installations on these two Laptops, is that I selected Swap Partitions with Hibernation, and Hibernation appears to be working just fine. Makes we wish that my Main PC was running Manjaro... :wink: :ksc75smile:
My "goto distro" is manjaro i3. I like i3 and the manjaro version was the first i3 dedicated distro where I liked all the defaults "out of the box".

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #32,920 of 36,070
I bought it about 2 months ago. Got the M11S. Just a great sounding unit. Been missing having a FiiO in the stable.
Hello-I know this is a bit late in the thread but I've been considering purchasing an M11S, especially with the recent price drop, but I just have a question regarding your experience with yours: There were many reports from folks that owned the M11S that there were audio drop out issues-- say, in the first second of play in a given track, it would cut off the first second of play. It was mostly reported with the native FiiO app but one mentioned they were experiencing it with other players too, even Tidal and other streaming apps. It's not the little pop sound you get when transitioning to and from DSD from PCM, which is pretty normal for all players. Just wondered what your experience has been (if at all) with this issue and your M11S? Any info greatly appreciated!

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #32,921 of 36,070
I do see some slight drop-out in the 1st second of playing a song. For me, it only really happens when going from one file format to another (like MP4 to Flac). Since my files are all over the place, seems to happen a lot. To be honest, I barely notice it now. If I am listening critcally, yes, it is somewhat frustrating. Given all else it does so well, I can forgive this. If you think that is something that would drive you nuts, I would avoid it or at least try before you buy, if you can. All in all, I recommend this piece, great sounding and the UI is quick. It is also apparent on the UAPP app.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #32,922 of 36,070
I do see some slight drop-out in the 1st second of playing a song. For me, it only really happens when going from one file format to another (like MP4 to Flac). Since my files are all over the place, seems to happen a lot. To be honest, I barely notice it now. If I am listening critcally, yes, it is somewhat frustrating. Given all else it does so well, I can forgive this. If you think that is something that would drive you nuts, I would avoid it or at least try be before you, if you can. All in all, I recommend this piece, great sounding and the UI is quick.
Hi--thanks so much for your quick response!

Just a couple more questions: Does this happen with the FiiO native player only or with other local file players too? Does it do this with streaming like Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz (if you stream)?

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #32,923 of 36,070
I don't stream anything so can't say about that but is does as I just added above to the UAPP app purchased.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #32,924 of 36,070
My "goto distro" is manjaro i3. I like i3 and the manjaro version was the first i3 dedicated distro where I liked all the defaults "out of the box".
I work with Redhat at work. Not a huge fan of Redhats packaging system. I work with all distros though. But my go to is Ubuntu because of its stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back