The Audio Lounge
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #22,321 of 36,107
Thanks!
With a bit more searching, I found another discussion about the B4-X, over on the diyAudio Forums.
One of the posters indicated that he measured these voltages:
Board Pin 2 = Tube Pin 7 = g2 (Screen Grid) = 6.08V
Board Pin 4 = Tube Pin 5 = a (Anode) = 6.50V
My B4 X measures a little lower than those numbers but well within spec on pin 5, 6.48V. On pin 7 5.87V so out of spec; This is why my amp is noisy. The adjustments on the pots does change voltages. The voltage doesn't change very much on pin 2 tough when the pot is adjusted.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #22,322 of 36,107
My B4 X measures a little lower than those numbers but well within spec on pin 5, 6.48V. On pin 7 5.87V so out of spec; This is why my amp is noisy. The adjustments on the pots does change voltages. The voltage doesn't change very much on pin 2 tough when the pot is adjusted.

Edit: BTW - There is a schematic for the tube circuit, that someone sketched, on the diyAudio thread.

Thanks - I'll adjust my amp, so that the tube voltages are similar to what they, and you, measured.

One of the comments on the other thread, is that adding bypass caps to the V+ and V- pins on the op-amps, will improve the Amp's performance.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #22,323 of 36,107
Love 80s rock/alternative. Simple Minds is one of the best. Don't you (forget about me) is THE anthem for the 80s to many people....

It's funny to see this video. I remember sending this to a vendor once who left me hanging for too long. I sent a copy of this song with my order#. Responded right away. Got to stand out from the crowd when it calls for it, but politely.

Just purchased some CDs. I haven't done that in ages. Can get them almost stupid cheap. Thinking of getting a decent desktop player to compete with the turntable. I don't have a silly amount of CDs anymore. Maybe have it paired down to 5-600?

Back in the day, cassettes were the thing. Seems like they were everywhere; underfoot, in the car, backpack...still have my old Kenwood dual deck collecting dust. Wonder what the ones I still have would sound like? Kept them cool and dry. Tape has had to degenerate enough to make the sound quality really suffer.

Hmmm....something to think about.

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #22,324 of 36,107
It's funny to see this video. I remember sending this to a vendor once who left me hanging for too long. I sent a copy of this song with my order#. Responded right away. Got to stand out from the crowd when it calls for it, but politely.

Just purchased some CDs. I haven't done that in ages. Can get them almost stupid cheap. Thinking of getting a decent desktop player to compete with the turntable. I don't have a silly amount of CDs anymore. Maybe have it paired down to 5-600?

Back in the day, cassettes were the thing. Seems like they were everywhere; underfoot, in the car, backpack...still have my old Kenwood dual deck collecting dust. Wonder what the ones I still have would sound like? Kept them cool and dry. Tape has had to degenerate enough to make the sound quality really suffer.

Hmmm....something to think about.

If it's a belt drive cassette deck, you may want to replace the belt, before loading up any important tapes.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #22,325 of 36,107

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #22,326 of 36,107

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #22,328 of 36,107
Feb 15, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #22,329 of 36,107
And...

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #22,330 of 36,107

In my B4-X, I was able to adjust the voltage for one tube.
The other tube will not adjust to the same voltages.
There's a problem with the tube, or with my soldering on the tube-carrier board.
When the amp is on, the channel with the good tube works fine, but the other channel just hums, without passing through any audio.
When swapping the tube-carrier boards, the hum follows the tube.
I'll need to order some more of the Raytheon JAN5899 tubes (there are plenty on eBay).

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #22,332 of 36,107
In my B4-X, I was able to adjust the voltage for one tube.
The other tube will not adjust to the same voltages.
There's a problem with the tube, or with my soldering on the tube-carrier board.
When the amp is on, the channel with the good tube works fine, but the other channel just hums, without passing through any audio.
When swapping the tube-carrier boards, the hum follows the tube.
I'll need to order some more of the Raytheon JAN5899 tubes (there are plenty on eBay).
Bummer man. Fortunately the 5899 is inexpensive. Some of the tubes I've purchased in the past I cringe installing in my tube amps because if they blow I'm out large sums of money. Honestly, I think it's a very bad investment to buy top dollar tubes. They make a bit of a difference but not huge. I sold my Woo WA5 because some of the tubes cost more than I paid for the amp.... Crazy.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #22,333 of 36,107
Bummer man. Fortunately the 5899 is inexpensive. Some of the tubes I've purchased in the past I cringe installing in my tube amps because if they blow I'm out large sums of money. Honestly, I think it's a very bad investment to buy top dollar tubes. They make a bit of a difference but not huge. I sold my Woo WA5 because some of the tubes cost more than I paid for the amp.... Crazy.

I've ordered a Matched Quad set of Raytheon JAN5899 tubes, for $20 - to have some spares.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #22,334 of 36,107
A few days late with mine (we were binge watching multiple seasons of Line of Duty)

WOW Baby

so many possibilities but I was listening to Chris Isaak this evening...

...and one of his best in my opinion...

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #22,335 of 36,107

Sounds like your tubes were similar to inkjet cartridges. :wink:
I know people who've bought new inkjet printers (with the included "starter" cartridge), because it's the same price (or cheaper), than buying a replacement "full" cartridge.
My own circumstance was that I very rarely print things, and when I did need to, I always had to go buy a new cartridge - since they dry up fairly quickly.
So, I ended up getting rid of my Lexmark inkjet printer (which worked in Windows & Linux), and bought a Samsung CLP-315 Color Laser Printer (with Ethernet port).
The toner cartridges cost more than standard inkjet cartridges, but in the last 12 years, I've only replaced the color toner cartridges once, and the Black cartridge twice - after using up the starter cartridges.
As part of my home A/V system upgrade, I've been doing a bit of eBay shopping - and found some used Matrix switchers:
1.) Shinybow SB-8804LCM - An 8x8 Audio Matrix Switcher, with (8) individual Digital Audio (SPDIF) and Analog Stereo Audio inputs, and (8) individual Digital Audio (SPDIF) and Analog Stereo Audio outputs. It can be remote controlled, via an RS-232 port.
2.) Extron DXP 88 HDMI - An 8x8 HDCP compliant Video Matrix Switcher, with (8) 1080p/60Hz HDMI inputs, and (8) 1080p/60Hz HDMI outputs. The Video & Audio can be switched together or separately, and it supports HD lossless audio formats. It can be remote controlled, via Ethernet or an RS-232 port.
3.) Monoprice Blackbird 18843 4K/60Hz Video Multiviewer - A 6x1 Processor, (4) 1080p/60Hz HDMI inputs, (1) 1080p/60Hz DisplayPort input, (1) VGA input; and parallel 3840x2160/60Hz HDMI & DisplayPort outputs. It can be remote controlled, via Ethernet or an RS-232 port.
Next, I'll be using my Federal Tax Refund to buy a nice 49" - 55" 4K TV, so that I can display (4) 1080p screens on one monitor.
This will allow me to see my main PC host OS (Linux) on two screens, and either the VM Guest OS (Win10), the Server (Linux), or the Asus Netbook Music Player (Linux) on the other screens.
I guess I need to learn some Raspberry Pi programming, so I can set one up as a "Universal Remote" interface, to control the switchers using both Ethernet & Serial ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back