The Audio Lounge
Dec 19, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #21,751 of 36,081
We are just the opposite. My car registered at -12 C (10 F) this morning. Wind chill was well below that...

About the same for me. Mexico is looking better.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #21,752 of 36,081
Picked up these new for around $170 USD. Sound damn good

elac debut 2.0 b6.2.jpg

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #21,754 of 36,081
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #21,756 of 36,081
ELAC makes some great speakers. Wonderful sounds for their size.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #21,758 of 36,081
Nice looking speakers. These remind me of the BIC Venturi series speakers that were out many years ago. The Venturi is still around but in new forms. The BICs were my first foray into higher end audio.

1960s or 1970s? :ksc75smile:

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #21,760 of 36,081
One for the music fans - hands down the best version of "Stairway..." I have heard by someone who isn't Led Zeppelin.

The way the musicians get slowly revealed as the song progress is pretty impressive too. Ann Wilson is one of the most underrated vocalists of her generation IMHO.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #21,761 of 36,081
A little update on my recent audio purchases:

I got my Fearless Audio Rolands in on the 8th and they are fantastic IEMs, but I sold them on the 11th, lol. They really did sound great with some nice lows, rich mids, a couple of peaks in the highs but not too harsh to enjoy the sparkle. There were 2 reasons I moved them on. First, they sound similar to but just not quite as good as my Hyla TE5B's. Because of that I'd always reach for the Hylas over the Rolands if I want that type of sound. Secondly, the ear canal section of the IEM is super long and due to that the Roland sticks out too far from my ear and hang down causing a bit of pain on the bottom side of my ear canal after a bit of use. But, if I didn't have the Hylas, I would have tried to find a way to make the Fearless more comfortable as they really do sound damn good.

8.jpg

I bought some Shuoer Tape hybrid IEMs partially due to the hype and partially due to me really wanting to try out some different Electrostatic/Dynamic driver hybrids. I got them in on Monday and I've tried a few sources and some different tips and I'll be listing them for sale after Christmas, lol. They aren't horrible by any means, they just sound kind of like they have no life to them. Maybe a better way to say it is that they seem to have no soul, no one thing about them is really exciting. I wouldn't grab for them over my other IEMs. They sound similar to my BGVP DMS except the joy was sucked out, lol. It sounds like I'm trashing them, and I guess I am, but they really aren't bad, I just feel there are better IEMs at this price point. So off they go :package:.

2019-12-20.jpg

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #21,762 of 36,081
@OldDude04
Sad that you didn't find any keepers there but at least you had the chance to try a couple things. Sometimes, that's almost as exciting as finding a great piece.
I've been really good and haven't purchased anything in a while. But, I'm also about to complete a moderate overhaul on my car's sound system. Not really saving any money.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #21,763 of 36,081
My in-depth review of Shanling M2X is live now! This is one heck of a sweet sounding DAP, especially when paired with the right IEMs :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/sweety-iem-driver-player-shanling-m2x.html

Shanling-M2X-DAP-Portable-Music-Player-Midrange-Ergonomic-Audio-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-27.jpg

I love the M2X, great piece. I agree with your points in the review. Nice staging, depth of sound and form factor is nice, a little bigger than the R3 I had but some serious nice sounds from it. It has been my goto when I'm out and about.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #21,764 of 36,081
@OldDude04
Sad that you didn't find any keepers there but at least you had the chance to try a couple things. Sometimes, that's almost as exciting as finding a great piece.
I've been really good and haven't purchased anything in a while. But, I'm also about to complete a moderate overhaul on my car's sound system. Not really saving any money.

You're spot on, I love trying out these items. If I had a headphone store near me that had a ton to try, I'd be up there with for way too long trying everything they'd let me, lol. But as for not finding any keepers, I'm ok with that I think. Plus it just grew my love for the TE5B's by getting to compare them and have them continue to come out on top for me. Nice little bonus.

What all are you doing to your car? Full system or just doing some component replacement?

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #21,765 of 36,081
I'm doing some component replacement. Keeping the head unit (too much integrated into it) but changing speakers and adding amps, wiring and power connections (and maybe a cap) and sub. Adding dynamat all around as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back