The Audio Lounge
Jul 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #8,701 of 36,037
Good morning folks.

Disco music is not my cup of tea. I prefer Blues and Heavy Metal, but my taste of music has changed over the years.
I still listen to stuff like death, doom, thrash, speed metal, but also like AOR, Folk, Blues, ...
I'm growing old... :D
QUOTE]
I love my rock, blues and metal. Heavy, hair, stoner, classic Metal. I like any metal that doesn't growl. Machine Head is about as close to (what I call) Cookie Monster growling that I like.

You are from Germany, right? Are you even familiar with Sesame Street and who the Cookie Monster is? Not trying to be a self centered American and make a reference you don't get.

Yes.im getting old too. Ha ha. But I find my musical tastes expanding like the universe. I buy so much music now. My CD buys keep expanding too.

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #8,702 of 36,037
I love my rock, blues and metal. Heavy, hair, stoner, classic Metal. I like any metal that doesn't growl. Machine Head is about as close to (what I call) Cookie Monster growling that I like.

You are from Germany, right? Are you even familiar with Sesame Street and who the Cookie Monster is? Not trying to be a self centered American and make a reference you don't get.

Yes.im getting old too. Ha ha. But I find my musical tastes expanding like the universe. I buy so much music now. My CD buys keep expanding too.

Right, I'm from Germany. I've watched Sesame Street as kid and know the Cookie Monster (Krümelmonster in German TV). ^^

I like music with growls or mixed with clean vocals, depending on my mood.

Same here, bandcamp is one source for me to discover more music and I still buy new or used CD.

New music ftw. :D

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #8,703 of 36,037
Right, I'm from Germany. I've watched Sesame Street as kid and know the Cookie Monster (Krümelmonster in German TV). ^^

I like music with growls or mixed with clean vocals, depending on my mood.

Same here, bandcamp is one source for me to discover more music and I still buy new or used CD.

New music ftw. :D

New Music FTW! !
Krümelmonster is the man!

Post a video of one of your favorite songs, and I'll try it out. Right now my favorite heavy band is Clutch. They have a new album coming out in Sept, and I have tickets for their show on Sept 28.

Di you know Clutch? Here is just one of many racks I think you might like.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #8,705 of 36,037
Are you saying you took the hard drive out of an iPod and internally replaced it with a mSD card? If so, how is that done?
It's not so difficult. But depending on your exact model, this adapter (or another one from this website) will work. Carefully check model number before ordering. https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-solo/
Opening the thinnest IPODs is a bit of a pain. The thicker ones are somewhat easier. Last one (a thick one) I used a thin (and sharp) paring knife to get behind the metal back on the right hand side. Get it started and twist a bit and the back will start to pop off. Slide up and get one side loose. Once one long side is loose, the rest is easy to remove. Be careful and take your time with first one... After 3. I feel like an expert. (But am not).
Once open, replace battery (from ebay for about $5-6.). Remove HDD. Insert the Iflash Solo with a 128 or 200GB MicroSD In and SD adapter. Insert the Iflash Package into the iPod, connect the wire. Place a piece of foam over the mocrosd, sd adapter and iFlash . (Do this to help ensure nothing comes loose and to fill in thickness,). Close the two halves and reattach the battery, but don't snap back into place yet. Connect to Computer and to itunes before you close the case. It should prompt you to restore. After restore move some music to player and test, If OK, then remove cable, and press/snap back into place. (IF you distorted the back metal opening it, you can bend to back in shape easier before you snap it cack into place.) If you lived close, I'd do it for parts cost. Note the very early Ipod classics do NOT use the iFlash SOLO as their HDD;s have different connections. Also note that you can use SD cards, but microsd seem cheaper and work just as well. I have used up to 200GB cards., There ARE adapters that will take 4 microsd cards... But I don't think the ipods wer designed to manage so many music files. SOME models will not accept more than 128GD is you put more in, you'll only get 128GB on those models. ALL this info is in the iFlash website. IF you damage back, opening it, you can buy new metal backs on Ebay (and/or convert to the thin model, as long as you are not trying to use extended/larger battery that the thicker cases allow.)

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #8,707 of 36,037
It's not so difficult. But depending on your exact model, this adapter (or another one from this website) will work. Carefully check model number before ordering. https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-solo/
Opening the thinnest IPODs is a bit of a pain. The thicker ones are somewhat easier. Last one (a thick one) I used a thin (and sharp) paring knife to get behind the metal back on the right hand side. Get it started and twist a bit and the back will start to pop off. Slide up and get one side loose. Once one long side is loose, the rest is easy to remove. Be careful and take your time with first one... After 3. I feel like an expert. (But am not).
Once open, replace battery (from ebay for about $5-6.). Remove HDD. Insert the Iflash Solo with a 128 or 200GB MicroSD In and SD adapter. Insert the Iflash Package into the iPod, connect the wire. Place a piece of foam over the mocrosd, sd adapter and iFlash . (Do this to help ensure nothing comes loose and to fill in thickness,). Close the two halves and reattach the battery, but don't snap back into place yet. Connect to Computer and to itunes before you close the case. It should prompt you to restore. After restore move some music to player and test, If OK, then remove cable, and press/snap back into place. (IF you distorted the back metal opening it, you can bend to back in shape easier before you snap it cack into place.) If you lived close, I'd do it for parts cost. Note the very early Ipod classics do NOT use the iFlash SOLO as their HDD;s have different connections. Also note that you can use SD cards, but microsd seem cheaper and work just as well. I have used up to 200GB cards., There ARE adapters that will take 4 microsd cards... But I don't think the ipods wer designed to manage so many music files. SOME models will not accept more than 128GD is you put more in, you'll only get 128GB on those models. ALL this info is in the iFlash website. IF you damage back, opening it, you can buy new metal backs on Ebay (and/or convert to the thin model, as long as you are not trying to use extended/larger battery that the thicker cases allow.)
Thank you for the info and the offer to do the work. I don't have a Classic iPod. Was just interested in the possibility. Had no idea there were such extensive mods available. Even more amazed that these special purpose parts exist.

Just curious, does anyone make multiple mSD card adapters for any units already using mSD cards ( any brand dap)?

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #8,708 of 36,037
Does anyone have sonic impressions of the Tin Audio T2? They are on MassDrop now. The 10mm and 6mm coaxial drivers appear similar to the QKZ VK-1. If so, the bullet body shape would be nice. The mmcx connectors would also work with a balanced cable I already have. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #8,709 of 36,037
I have an iPod Classic with a dead HDD, may have to give this a go sometime in the near future. I use another one I have as the main source in my car (connected through USB), and so having a spare is always useful.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #8,711 of 36,037
I have the TinAudio T2 and it is one of my favourite chi-fi iems. They have a very neutral sound signature, comfortable to wear and very well built.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #8,713 of 36,037
Thanks for the good replies!

I have actually not heard the Apple Earbuds ( Am not an "apple" person) . But doubt my friend will play around with making his own IEM tips to fit his "big" ears. So maybe he's better of with earbuds. The VE Monks are really inexpensive. Almost hard to believe they sound good for that price. But I'll get a pair for him. If he likes those, then I'll step him up to the PK2's.

The only earbuds that ever worked for me were Old Sony ones with a headband that kept them sealed in my ears. But once I switched to iems, I can never go back to Eadbuds. And the headband for earbuds looks kind a silly in today's world of audio.

I did try to get him to replace his iPod Classic with something better; But he had zero interest in changing what he knew. So I ended up upgrading 2 for him and 1 for his wife with new batteries and switched them to MIcrosd instead of The microHDD they came with. At least now they should last a few more years...
I never bought the Monks because not only were they just a few bucks, but they were also earbuds. That combination had me thinking no way they could make something that sounded good, but I remember trying a set that came free with the Dukes and was impressed with it. Definitely remember it sounding better than Apple's earbuds, hopefully my memory's not terribly far off since we all know sound memory is inaccurate basically by default.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #8,714 of 36,037
I never bought the Monks

I never bought the Monks

There not amazing (not going to knock spots of a £100 iem) or should they be for the ridiculous price, but they are amazing for what they are achieving at so little cost and make most ear buds that come with phones look stupid.
But as you said i too keep having problems falling out of my ears.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #8,715 of 36,037
There not amazing (not going to knock spots of a £100 iem) or should they be for the ridiculous price, but they are amazing for what they are achieving at so little cost and make most ear buds that come with phones look stupid.
But as you said i too keep having problems falling out of my ears.
Exactly, nothing to knock things off $100 or even $30-50 depending on the IEM, but for $5-10 and with an earbud form factor? With all of that working against it, the Monk is an impressive piece of kit. The form factor itself is difficult to get something to sound good out of so I'm curious as to what something like the Yuin PK2 sounds like.....not curious enough to pay $100 for one :p. There's a LOT of very good IEM options for $100 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back