The Audio Lounge
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #5,851 of 36,174
For me, it's always been less about the price and more about the cable's construction. For my use, it tends to be searching for braided cables that are individually sheathed and sheathed as a bundle. I find that tends to yield better memory character results. For example, the ones you've pictured here are ones I wouldn't have bought because I can see that they're braided, but they have an extra sheath on top over the entire braid. Feels like that makes them much more susceptible to memory character so I avoid those. Of course, even for braided without the extra sheathing, the individual wires could still use a material that has some inflexible memory character to it. The Massdrop Plus IEM's cable is like that: individually sheathed and braided, but the material is meh so it has more memory character to it than I'd like. I got a $16 Sainsonic cable for my P2 though that's fantastic. Price doesn't matter so much to me as long as the ergonomics are good; I can't tell or don't care enough about the perceived differences in sound quality to to wire material.

They do have memory but not overly done but it doesnt bother me, construction is solid , i did take off the memory sheaths for around the ear which i often struggle with because of small ears and have done previously on other cables it generally is just a bit of pliable heat shrink anyway.
All in all its a good cable if you don't mind a bit of memory

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #5,852 of 36,174
I looked at trying the true-fi trial as the he 400i are on the list , read a few positive and negative things about it , do you think it makes a difference? I.e improvement?.

It definitely works well, but 99% of it is just an EQ to flatten out the sound. You'll be almost as well off by getting the frequency curve of your headphones and using it to tweak an inverse EQ curve.

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #5,853 of 36,174
They do have memory but not overly done but it doesnt bother me, construction is solid , i did take off the memory sheaths for around the ear which i often struggle with because of small ears and have done previously on other cables it generally is just a bit of pliable heat shrink anyway.
All in all its a good cable if you don't mind a bit of memory
Nice. I don't like seeing so much spring in my cables. So I coil my cable the same way every time for storage, doesn't mean I want it to be a spring in that shape :p. The heatshrink stuff depends on ears; or rather, just the over-ear hook mechanism in general. Your cable had the sort of heatshrink tubing for the ear hook that doesn't have an actual memory wire inside, right? Because for example, I prefer that standalone heatshrink stuff or not having anything around the wire over having the memory wire systems. Memory wire systems haven't worked well for me in the past.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #5,854 of 36,174
Nice. I don't like seeing so much spring in my cables. So I coil my cable the same way every time for storage, doesn't mean I want it to be a spring in that shape :p. The heatshrink stuff depends on ears; or rather, just the over-ear hook mechanism in general. Your cable had the sort of heatshrink tubing for the ear hook that doesn't have an actual memory wire inside, right? Because for example, I prefer that standalone heatshrink stuff or not having anything around the wire over having the memory wire systems. Memory wire systems haven't worked well for me in the past.

I agree the hook system is not great if you have small ears it just ends up pulling the iem out of my ear and also more cumbersome to put in.
They dont have a memory wire for the hook it is just pliable hear shrink, it is realy easy to remove as long as you don't overly pull the wire as your tearing the shrink off.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #5,856 of 36,174
Finally have my EQ tweaked just right. The layering and separation on the last minute of this song are close to being one of my most perfect minutes of recorded audio. Start at 2:52 just as the Bernard Purdy starts in on the ride cymbal.

What's your favorite "One minute of perfection"?

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #5,858 of 36,174
For the Topping lovers out there, Topping's D50 is apparently out and on Massdrop for $200. And boy does it have some capability from the numbers I've seen, apparently top-notch performance.

Man, this habit is like crack. Every time you get high you need more to get that high, lol. I'm going to be watching reviews of the D50 for sure, cuz I love the hell out of my D30.

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #5,859 of 36,174
Man, this habit is like crack. Every time you get high you need more to get that high, lol. I'm going to be watching reviews of the D50 for sure, cuz I love the hell out of my D30.
I've only seen a single review from anywhere so far, but it looks very promising. The guy reviewing it looked like he knew what he was measuring. Just search up for the D50 review on Google and it was the first result for me. So up on Massdrop for $200 and AliExpress for the $250 MSRP. For once, Massdrop isn't making it some negligible discount that could've been equaled by just choosing a cheaper shipping option somewhere else lol :p

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #5,860 of 36,174
So my re600 have been sat burning in in a drawer for about a week on and off and just coming up to 70 hours of the 100 hours recommended burn in by hifiman, others recommend 3 times that figure.
They have definitely already improved for the 70 hours , first of all these are a colder/brighter iem and dont think any amount of burn in will change that.
Coming from something like new primacy to these would be a shock and sound a bit thin on first listen but once hearings adjusted you realise how good these are.
I have paired them with my opus1 and my mojo both sound great but the nod gos to the mojo being slightly warmer which is a benefit for these, imaging is stunning in my opinion and layering is great, every position of instrument and vocals sounds in its right position and can easily pick out where they are in the room.
attack and decay is great on these too and everything sounds nice and defined out of all the iems I own or have owned I would say these are probably one of the most revealing.
I Will say i don't think these would be for everyone and would depend a lot on if you like cold or warm iems.
For the £90 I paid I'm extremely pleased and definitely a keeper just hope the build holds up which I know has caused others issues.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #5,862 of 36,174
My younger son came back from school for the weekend and 'acquired' my IT01s. He broke all the others I have passed to him and was in need of a good set. I am now going through withdrawal. I was planning to get another pair but wanted to to put it out there to see what others have been using for about $100 or so. I am almost saved to my Andomedas so this will be just something while I wait...any suggestions or do I just go back and get the IT01?

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #5,863 of 36,174
My younger son came back from school for the weekend and 'acquired' my IT01s. He broke all the others I have passed to him and was in need of a good set. I am now going through withdrawal. I was planning to get another pair but wanted to to put it out there to see what others have been using for about $100 or so. I am almost saved to my Andomedas so this will be just something while I wait...any suggestions or do I just go back and get the IT01?
I would just have bought a few cheap KZ iems for such occasions

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #5,864 of 36,174
I would just have bought a few cheap KZ iems for such occasions

I didn't have any other cheap ones on hand. Besides, don't want to see him with some lesser ones. The IT01 are great, he deserves to hear them...

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #5,865 of 36,174
I didn't have any other cheap ones on hand. Besides, don't want to see him with some lesser ones. The IT01 are great, he deserves to hear them...

You should have bought 5 of those KZ ZS10's when they were half price :wink:

Honestly, at around 100 USD, I'd go with the Brainwavz B200... They were a good bargain from what I recall. If you wanna splurge more, the B400 is apparently massively amazing. It's just twice the price of the IT01's. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back