The Audio Lounge
Aug 18, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,741 of 36,059
I have to agree with that. tbh with most of these iems past $500

I mean Micro idsd is a great choice too.

I'm really lucky to have gotten Jupiter for only $380 USD used. Would cost $799 new.
I wouldn't ever deny that there can be a substantial R&D cost and other costs and projections involved in the development of these products, yet... I do also believe that there can be the law of diminishing returns all over the place there as well... I wouldn't know at this time...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,744 of 36,059
I wouldn't ever deny that there can be a substantial R&D cost and other costs and projections involved in the development of these products, yet... I do also believe that there can be the law of diminishing returns all over the place there as well... I wouldn't know at this time...
hence why I stop at Andromeda or anything above $1200. Really skeptical about premium money in exchange for small incremental increases

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,746 of 36,059
Would have to hear the Shure KSE1500 electrostatics and the Final Lab II before spending that kind of money. The Final are so beautiful looking.
http://snext-final.com/en/products/detail/LABII.html
Just reading through the stuff in the link... what a fascinating story ... thanks for sharing this, really fun to see new technologies implemented on this scale... looks also as a work of art , even though I prefer the industrial aesthetics of the Icarus III gunmetal shell and red plates... tasty as well...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,748 of 36,059
That looks really cool, very medieval like!
You should have seen the backgammon and chess - box and pieces, handcrafted of the large number of ebony and wood pieces put togehter.... read about it about 15 years ago, some american traveller bought it during his journey through the Haifa area in the Middle East (or there somewhere)... will have to look for those pics and files saved somewhere on the old drives..

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #1,751 of 36,059
Think soda would kill either one. The reason for the 3D printed shell is amazing. It is a filter.
I tire of shell stuffers. Want to see and hear new technology.
even though i mostly use open cans (when full sized), there's something really addictive with the bass impact and the thump you get with well executed closed can... I wonder how these state of the art IEMs sound with that much sound leakage... @JustBobski might be onto something with this moveable port solution, best of the both worlds... we'll see how his Phoenix full size can performs...

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #1,753 of 36,059
The Final are so beautiful looking.
Those Final sound so weird tho'!
Last year when trying many many pairs of IEMs at Jaben they let me try the Piano Forte XII which was something crazy like $3000 or more. I was reluctant because I didn't need to hear something so good that I couldn't afford, but they are strange.
No tips, the "horn" simply fits (quite comfortable actually) into the ear, but no actual seal means almost no bass. Very spacious sound, quite airy, but I can only imagine them working for orchestral music or the unusual Japanese folk music that they were apparently tuned for.
For my mix of rock and EDM they were frankly totally unsuitable.
Definitely try before considering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back