The Audio Lounge
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,756 of 36,194
I see no reason why they wouldn't come up with some fitting tips (silicone or foam) in order to get that seal, would that destroy their tuning ?
I was told that it would indeed ruin the tuning. They're quite popular here (relatively speaking :wink:) but only with people who listen primarily to classical music. I was told they were tuned for folk music, and although the driver is huge it is tuned for mids with a vestigial bass presence and an airy sound. No idea if creating a seal would improve things but I rather think not.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,757 of 36,194
I was told that it would indeed ruin the tuning. They're quite popular here (relatively speaking :wink:) but only with people who listen primarily to classical music. I was told they were tuned for folk music, and although the driver is huge it is tuned for mids with a vestigial bass presence and an airy sound. No idea if creating a seal would improve things but I rather think not.
whoa, I like Folk music, including older types of instruments. Instruments like Kantele are neat too!

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #1,762 of 36,194

If they can play that well!

hmmm I might consider. But Athena's seem very enticing for half the price!

Well my Mitchell & Johnson hybrids like it. Gives the electret tweeter some exercise. Not sure I would like it on any of my IEMs. Will try it tomorrow.

Like the music. Hadn't heard it before. Reminds me slightly of Renaissance.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,763 of 36,194
Well my Mitchell & Johnson hybrids like it. Gives the electret tweeter some exercise. Not sure I would like it on any of my IEMs. Will try it tomorrow.

Like the music. Hadn't heard it before. Reminds me slightly of Renaissance.
The Band likes using Medieval music of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Using manuscripts from Late middle ages to Baroque period.
Stary Olsa recreated instruments from them too.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #1,764 of 36,194
There is also a company that makes IEMs with dynamic driver and miniature planar tweeter. Can't remember the brand name at the moment.
Are you thinking of oBravo? I know they've released several IEMs based on a dynamic driver + planar tweeter design. From what I've read of that particular brand so far, it's more tech demo than I'd like it to be.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,765 of 36,194
Some relaxing music for the start. :)

My current otg
M1_ZS5.jpg

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #1,766 of 36,194
Some relaxing music for the start. :)

My current otg

Great song choice - love a bit of Andy McKee in more relaxed moments.

If you guys are wondering about the planar tweeter stuff, @Midgetguy is right, it's from oBravo. Not heard any of their stuff, but know HFers who live them, and some who hate them.

And their top model is going for over $6000 at the moment (the "Ra") - makes even the Fourte look cheap! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back