The Audio Lounge
Apr 14, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #14,207 of 36,075
Well, started on my routine Sunday morning, coffee and vinyl, when after a few minutes my Sony STR-AV1020 receiver starts in on protection relay clicking and getting hot. First time I had this issue. Thought it might be a bad connector or speaker wire (which are all new) but removed everything and the beast is still clicking and popping. Sounds like something internal like a short or some bad solder connectors on the main board or something with the power supply. Faint smell of insulation cooking. Afraid to risk anything connected to it in case it explodes or something.

I am sad as I have had since this 1983 and has been a trooper all that time. It's not worth the cost or the time to diagnose and fix. I guess I'm in the market for something new. Sad day when vintage electronics give up their ghost. At least we had some good times over the last 36 years.

I love the vintage stuff and had my eye on some older Carver gear but from reading about them, looks like similar things happen after many years and that stuff can get stupid expensive to fix.

Anyone particularly happy with their integrated receiver? Tell me about it...looking for something new. Not even sure of price range, I guess $500-1000? It's been a long time since I went shopping for this gear.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #14,208 of 36,075
Well, started on my routine Sunday morning, coffee and vinyl, when after a few minutes my Sony STR-AV1020 receiver starts in on protection relay clicking and getting hot. First time I had this issue. Thought it might be a bad connector or speaker wire (which are all new) but removed everything and the beast is still clicking and popping. Sounds like something internal like a short or some bad solder connectors on the main board or something with the power supply. Faint smell of insulation cooking. Afraid to risk anything connected to it in case it explodes or something.

I am sad as I have had since this 1983 and has been a trooper all that time. It's not worth the cost or the time to diagnose and fix. I guess I'm in the market for something new. Sad day when vintage electronics give up their ghost. At least we had some good times over the last 36 years.

I love the vintage stuff and had my eye on some older Carver gear but from reading about them, looks like similar things happen after many years and that stuff can get stupid expensive to fix.

Anyone particularly happy with their integrated receiver? Tell me about it...looking for something new. Not even sure of price range, I guess $500-1000? It's been a long time since I went shopping for this gear.
It's definitely a sad day. Do you have anything to tide you over until you pickup something new?

What are your requirements for a new unit? What speakers are you driving? If an integrated amp will do, I can recommend Musical Fidelity kit. I had an M6si that was excellent. https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/m6series/m6si

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #14,209 of 36,075
I have nothing to use until I get something. I really need just a 2 channel system (running some Bose 301s) but had considered jumping to a 5.1 system. I don't need to integrate with the TV as that has its own sound bar system and sub. Had considered just and integrated amp but thinking would be nice to have a built-in tuner (need to think about that). The Sony was 120W/ch, which was way overkill but was driving totally different speakers back in the day.

I really only need this for the vinyl set-up and linking a DAP through to it to play on speakers. Maybe just a decent integrated amp would do...

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #14,210 of 36,075
The M6si looks really nice but the wife would never approve. I don't own a dog house so I couldn't even sleep there...has to reasonable in cost like 500-1000 on the outside...

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #14,211 of 36,075

Sad day when old beloved gear dies, sorry to hear that bro. Good luck on finding a replacement.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #14,212 of 36,075
The M6si looks really nice but the wife would never approve. I don't own a dog house so I couldn't even sleep there...has to reasonable in cost like 500-1000 on the outside...
Ah that's tough. At least you have your headphone setup.

I was thinking of the M3si or M5si. These can be had used for your asking amount. They both have an integrated phono stage and dac.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9dbj0-musical-fidelity-m3si-solid-state?refsource=hifishark

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/m3series/m3si

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #14,213 of 36,075
Regarding old tv shows, I'd second Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider etc.
But I also hugely enjoyed Lovejoy (starring Ian McShane), Blackadder, Red Dwarf, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, and Northern Exposure (some of them might be 90's rather than 80's?) :D

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #14,214 of 36,075
Ive been on a low power amp / high efficiency speaker kick for quite a few years. So that's what I have the most recent experience with.

If your Bose 301s were more efficient I would recommend and Elekit TU-8500 / TU-8200 combo. You get tube seperates for right around $1000 that compete with gear in the $3k - $4k range. One caveat though, you have to build these yourself.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #14,215 of 36,075
I borrowed my husband's Audeze LCD-X one day. Listened to two albums. Was blown away by the sound. The next day I knew I would never put them on again.

Just curious, but if you tend to sit (e.g.) in the same chair to listen to them, perhaps you could rig up some kind of wall bracket or free standing thing similar to a hatstand?
Then you could suspend the LCD-X by a string or soft cloth band at head height and just sit wearing them with all the weight being taken by the support?
Just a thought. I like coming up with ideas and solutions lol.
And it's probably a lot cheaper than a (six million dollar) bionic neck :p

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #14,216 of 36,075
There are so many choices. I really have to sit and think about what I need vs. nice to have. And possible room for expansion...I love researching all the stuff, just wish I could do it slower. I may end up getting something cheap for the time (just to keep playing music) and then waiting to get a really nicer higher-end set-up.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #14,217 of 36,075
Just curious, but if you tend to sit (e.g.) in the same chair to listen to them, perhaps you could rig up some kind of wall bracket or free standing thing similar to a hatstand?
Then you could suspend the LCD-X by a string or soft cloth band at head height and just sit wearing them with all the weight being taken by the support?
Just a thought. I like coming up with ideas and solutions lol.
And it's probably a lot cheaper than a (six million dollar) bionic neck :p

All it takes is one or two of these highly effective exercises, lol.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #14,218 of 36,075
There are so many choices. I really have to sit and think about what I need vs. nice to have. And possible room for expansion...I love researching all the stuff, just wish I could do it slower. I may end up getting something cheap for the time (just to keep playing music) and then waiting to get a really nicer higher-end set-up.
There's some pretty nice recievers out there for not to much. Denon seems to be everyones go to.

Another option is Emotiva. The TA-100 has everything. I run thier gear in my home theater and use a pair of thier powered speakers. Nice kit for not much.

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/ta-100

You may want to look at refurbished vintage receivers also. I've heard really good things.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #14,219 of 36,075
There's some pretty nice recievers out there for not to much. Denon seems to be everyones go to.

Another option is Emotiva. The TA-100 has everything. I run thier gear in my home theater and use a pair of thier powered speakers. Nice kit for not much.

You may want to look at refurbished vintage receivers also. I've heard really good things.

I love Emotiva. I use their A-100 Bas-X to run my planars and it has that great vintage receiver sound, not to mention the ability to run all the power of the speaker amp through the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back