The Audio Lounge
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #13,486 of 36,065

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #13,487 of 36,065
If anyone is interested the Koss/Massdrop ESP/95X electrostatic headphones are being dropped again. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system#overview

Love these, but they aren't for bassheads. Both companies march to a different drummer. All had gone quiet and I was afraid these wouldn't be offered again. Luckily they are back.
I looked at these at one time. But I read to many horror stories with build quality and not being able to get warranty repair or support at all. So I passed on them.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #13,488 of 36,065
I looked at these at one time. But I read to many horror stories with build quality and not being able to get warranty repair or support at all. So I passed on them.
I previously learned that while definitely cool, the electrostatic sound isn't quite my cup of tea, not for the stuff I listen to. So I'm not ever going to spend money on them. Will happily try them out though :D

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #13,489 of 36,065
I previously learned that while definitely cool, the electrostatic sound isn't quite my cup of tea, not for the stuff I listen to. So I'm not ever going to spend money on them. Will happily try them out though :D
I've never listened to a pair of electrostat headphones. But from impressions in reviews I've read I have to agree with you. They aren't my cup-o-tea either.

Someone should come out with a hybrid electrostat/dynamic driver headphone, like Martin Logan does with their speakers. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #13,490 of 36,065

I've never listened to a pair of electrostat headphones. But from impressions in reviews I've read I have to agree with you. They aren't my cup-o-tea either.

Someone should come out with a hybrid electrostat/dynamic driver headphone, like Martin Logan does with their speakers. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

I've actually had the opportunity to listen to the entire Stax range at a show a few months back. And I was actually really surprised by the tonality of them, the entry L300 was such a surprise that most of us thought it was worth twice the price.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #13,491 of 36,065
I've actually had the opportunity to listen to the entire Stax range at a show a few months back. And I was actually really surprised by the tonality of them, the entry L300 was such a surprise that most of us thought it was worth twice the price.
The big issue I see me having with electrostats is there not being much bass. I'm a bass addict, superb tight bass that is. So even if the Stax are tonally awesome I may just say na.

But I need to listen to a pair and see. I may be totally off.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #13,492 of 36,065
The big issue I see me having with electrostats is there not being much bass. I'm a bass addict, superb tight bass that is. So even if the Stax are tonally awesome I may just say na.

But I need to listen to a pair and see. I may be totally off.

That was actually the part that surprised all of us. There was quite alot of bass, but the mids were the star. It was warm and just beautifully smooth.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #13,494 of 36,065
There is something in existence already actually. Most well-known branding of it would be Mitchell & Johnson, existed since 2016, and the product is exactly what you're describing: 40mm dynamic driver with a small electrostatic module above it, and a crossover in the middle. Some have said it's good, some have say it's crap which means all I'm reading is that the tech just isn't totally ready yet. Still, check it out, even if you aren't planning to buy it.

Haven't been lucky enough to listen to the whole range. Only got to briefly try the SR007 and SR009; those are both almost unnerving in the clarity presented. Yeah it sounds a different world, but those two aren't the sound I'm looking for.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #13,495 of 36,065
Are you sure this is my bed?

my bed.jpeg

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #13,496 of 36,065
Stats can be a little finicky reliability wise. Nobody beats the Koss warranty. Buy a set that is 20 years + old. Send them in to Koss and they fix them. They don't even require proof of purchase. They just fix them!

The Koss have tight bass, just not a lot of slam. But, the full range purity is amazing. Every other driver sounds slow and colored.

The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 are great sounding headphones. While efficient, they are a complex load to drive. Their sound varies a lot depending on Source's output impedance and power. They give a little taste of full range electrostatic sound. They have the bass impact of a dynamic driver and some of the clarity of an electrostat. The MJ2 aren't as open sounding as the Koss due to closed back construction and the dynamic driver can't match the stat's speed in the midrange.

Either headphone is worth a long listen on good equipment.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #13,498 of 36,065
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #13,499 of 36,065
On the topic of portable amp, I am doing a demo of Periodic Audio's new tiny Nickel amp. Running it through some set-ups and seeing how it works. Gotta say, for its size (about the size of a 9V battery) it can really punch out the volume.

upload_2019-3-9_13-22-24.png

Here it is strapped to the N5ii and listening to the AQ NightOwls

upload_2019-3-9_13-23-35.png

Here attached to the X3ii and running the TFZ Queen.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #13,500 of 36,065
Was listening to this song back and forth and just come away with how much I love the timbre of Chris Isaak's voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back