The Audio Lounge
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,128 of 36,093
What a surreal surprise!!! Welcome back! We're all glad to get back the dude that was missing, especially in our new "shoot the sh!t" thread :stuck_out_tongue:

There are rumors out there that you use a modified Nokia 3210 for a source, others say they've seen you harmonically chant over a precision assembled pile of sticks that accepts a 3.5 jack, but what do you really use on a daily basis as a DAP?

Also, stupid engineering question. I had a few hearing tests done where you press the button for the test tones that you hear. What can I do with this data to match up the frequency response of and IEM better with my hearing? I'm assuming I can't do a short time fourier transform for the test tones because the testing didn't collect enough data, but if I graph the dB levels of each test tone how can I correlate them to the frequency response curve of an IEM? If you know on top of your head maybe or have some PDFs or academic journals you can send my way :upside_down:

The 3210 maybe true :D

I use a FiiO X1 still as a daily but it is getting a little tired now. I am actually looking for a new android dap but really need to get to a show and try some.

As for the hearing question I have zero clue and I am guessing that it will depend greatly if it's total reduction of what you can hear or more different frequency ranges.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,130 of 36,093
Agree 100%. IMHO: Would really like to see some specifications. Like : Impedance, Efficiency, Distortion?, Weight, Dimensions, Material of construction, Exact Connector type, Cable Type, Tip Diameter, etc.. Maybe even an audio output curve ?

Only Qualitative descriptions don't do much for me; unless it's actual listening reviews of samples from folks who have listened to a bunch of IEMs/Headphones.

For example: 14-40,000 Hz could be at +/- 50db ... Which might a high percentage of IEMs? So it actually says nothing to me.
At least this time around you've got the impedance and sensitivity numbers. That's something to go on at the very least. I didn't even bother registering that frequency response because I don't care; if it includes the standard 20-20kHz, then I couldn't care less since that's the range of human hearing anyway. Sure you might get slight "feel" from frequencies outside of that range, but impact is negligible so to me, it doesn't matter.

Bad Bobby, bad! You said the bad words Bob, "pre-order" and "next week". Instant flash backs. I'll have to think on whether or not I can deal with that.
BUT, this time it doesn't cost any money to pre-order. I'm more willing to do that since it's not gonna cost me anything. If something comes of it, great, if not, well I didn't lose anything.

So the P2, presumably an upgrade from the P1, would cost half as much?
I don't feel like the P2 is positioned as a successor to the P1. The naming scheme strikes me as saying the larger the number, the lower the tier. So it's the same sort of sound signature the P1 was known for, but maybe a bit less refined. You can also see that the material quality won't be as nice either. I'm guessing if you want the top-end of MEE Audio, it's still going to be P1 for the more clarity/detail/brighter sound signature and the M7 Pro for a more darker theme.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,131 of 36,093
I don't feel like the P2 is positioned as a successor to the P1

Yeah at the moment it looks like a cheaper version of p1 as in build materials ....but hey if they have tweaked the sound a little i would be interested.
I don't mind plastic as long as it's durable and it's refreshing sometimes not to have the weight of alloys.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,132 of 36,093
At least this time around you've got the impedance and sensitivity numbers. That's something to go on at the very least. I didn't even bother registering that frequency response because I don't care; if it includes the standard 20-20kHz, then I couldn't care less since that's the range of human hearing anyway. Sure you might get slight "feel" from frequencies outside of that range, but impact is negligible so to me, it doesn't matter.

BUT, this time it doesn't cost any money to pre-order. I'm more willing to do that since it's not gonna cost me anything. If something comes of it, great, if not, well I didn't lose anything.

I don't feel like the P2 is positioned as a successor to the P1. The naming scheme strikes me as saying the larger the number, the lower the tier. So it's the same sort of sound signature the P1 was known for, but maybe a bit less refined. You can also see that the material quality won't be as nice either. I'm guessing if you want the top-end of MEE Audio, it's still going to be P1 for the more clarity/detail/brighter sound signature and the M7 Pro for a more darker theme.

I'm presuming the p2 will be more whole market/consumer friendly?? The P1 was pretty awesome

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,133 of 36,093

Interesting, Where did you see the Impedance and Sensitivity ? Must have missed that post.

Even 20-20K means nothing.... Without a frequency curve, or +/- db level it does not even begin to help anyone understand the sound in any way...

Trinity was SO Qualitative with descriptions, that personally I will never place an order again with such poor information again.

Actual listening reviews by experienced 3rd party testers would be best !

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #1,134 of 36,093
Interesting, Where did you see the Impedance and Sensitivity ? Must have missed that post.

Even 20-20K means nothing.... Without a frequency curve, or +/- db level it does not even begin to help anyone understand the sound in any way...

Trinity was SO Qualitative with descriptions, that personally I will never place an order again with such poor information again.

Actual listening reviews by experienced 3rd party testers would be best !
:D Pray and pay! lol jk jk

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,135 of 36,093
Will do. I have a mailing list of many who ask me to give them the heads up.

Welcome back. I am glad to see you back and very interested in seeing what can come from your new venture. Please keep us all updated an any news you can release.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,136 of 36,093
On a side note, can you believe we've done 75 pages with zero drama and no fighting? So glad I started this thread, and very glad you all joined in. :beerchug:

We're all just the lovable type. I give credit to Jae Yoon and the magic flower pots. Magic can keep us at peace.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,137 of 36,093
Time will tell. Whatever happens it won't be so stressful and full of hard compromise.

I'm sure it will be a success, everybody here is happy to see you back and the most important, your work talks by itself. If I had known that you were on another project, I would not have bought Phoenix and Icarus 4, but no regrets.

Welcome back Bob! :beerchug:

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,138 of 36,093
Hey all what do you think I should go for next!
Andromeda or Opus #2.

I learned my lesson and only buying daps from reputable sellers only from now on unless headfi user sells.
Not worth not having a case or something missing. or opened box claimed as new.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,140 of 36,093
Hey all what do you think I should go for next!
Andromeda or Opus #2.

I learned my lesson and only buying daps from reputable sellers only from now on unless headfi user sells.
Not worth not having a case or something missing. or opened box claimed as new.

Well they both sound like a good investment...which do you think will brng the most enjoyment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back