The Audio Lounge
Feb 13, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #5,446 of 36,138
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=29513

Monolith m1060C is in stock, peeps. Get em while they're hot!

You are the devil...

2.jpg

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #5,448 of 36,138
Anyone going to get in on this? Good company, triple-BA, $100. Just dunno when it's actually scheduled to ship yet though.

I'm gonna pass on IEM's to be honest. I think I've found my groove with the IMR R1's and the U8's... No need to spend any more on these for the time being :)

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #5,450 of 36,138
I'm gonna pass on IEM's to be honest. I think I've found my groove with the IMR R1's and the U8's... No need to spend any more on these for the time being :)
Interesting impressions. I think i know what you mean with some slightly intense trebles. But its better with a bit of burn in.

What filters did you use on the R1 cause this also makes a difference?

One big thing i noted was R1s dont suffer poor recordings that well. If i have good quality Flac or DSDs they dont have the peakyness which ive found to be present on lesser recordings. I have 320 Mp3s which sound better than some of my 24/96 flac flies too. The way it was transcoded i suppose

I have 2 copies of Pink floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. Both Flac and both 24/96.
One is problematic with highs (especially those damn clocks). The other does not have nowhere near as much issue with this. I mean those alarms are pretty intense however good your IEMs, but recording quality makes a big difference.

It goes to show that recording quality is just as intergral as the earphone. Source comes in in 3rd for order of importance. Though my N5ii sounds significantly better than my £16 Onn X5 i brought, let alone the painful illogical way to turn the volume down with that device

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #5,451 of 36,138
Interesting impressions. I think i know what you mean with some slightly intense trebles. But its better with a bit of burn in.

What filters did you use on the R1 cause this also makes a difference?

One big thing i noted was R1s dont suffer poor recordings that well. If i have good quality Flac or DSDs they dont have the peakyness which ive found to be present on lesser recordings. I have 320 Mp3s which sound better than some of my 24/96 flac flies too. The way it was transcoded i suppose

I have 2 copies of Pink floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. Both Flac and both 24/96.
One is problematic with highs (especially those damn clocks). The other does not have nowhere near as much issue with this. I mean those alarms are pretty intense however good your IEMs, but recording quality makes a big difference.

It goes to show that recording quality is just as intergral as the earphone. Source comes in in 3rd for order of importance. Though my N5ii sounds significantly better than my £16 Onn X5 i brought, let alone the painful illogical way to turn the volume down with that device

Yeah, I have a feeling burn in will help clean out the driver overreacting to certain sounds. I just haven't had the time to properly burn in both IMR R1 and PM6 as opposed to the U8 which I've been using a lot longer. Might bias the review a bit, I guess! I'll see with burn in time if things improve.

I haven't had a chance to listen to poor quality recordings, I try and avoid those as much as I can... However, the music type I listen to rarely has lossless formats, so it's hard for me to base myself on anything other than my 320kbps MP3's... I have 3 lossless 24 bit studio recorded WAV's, but the songs just don't do justice for my test scenario. :) I try and use good earphones, good recording quality and good source. Right now, thankfully, I can manage pretty well!

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #5,454 of 36,138
Resistance is Futile for me.

m1060c has been my downfall...At least I made it 1.5 months :D

Congrats, let us know what you think when you get them. I have no clue how I haven't done the same. I'm holding on by sheer willpower :fearful:

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #5,456 of 36,138
Am thinking of either investing into a pair of LCD2c or M1060's as my first planar. Has anyone heard of both?

On the other hand, the Focal Elex looks a lil tempting.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #5,457 of 36,138
Am thinking of either investing into a pair of LCD2c or M1060's as my first planar. Has anyone heard of both?

I have the M1060, and until last week I had the LCD-2 Rev 2 Pre Fazors that the LCD2c are trying to replicate. And I kept the M1060's and sold the LCD-2's if that helps you at all. The LCD-2's were great, and if I hadn't heard the M1060's already, I'd never have sold them. However, the M1060 gives me everything I liked about the Audeze plus more bass and a wider sound stage. All that at less than half the price of a LCD2c. As per usual YMMV.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #5,458 of 36,138

I have the M1060, and until last week I had the LCD-2 Rev 2 Pre Fazors that the LCD2c are trying to replicate. And I kept the M1060's and sold the LCD-2's if that helps you at all. The LCD-2's were great, and if I hadn't heard the M1060's already, I'd never have sold them. However, the M1060 gives me everything I liked about the Audeze plus more bass and a wider sound stage. All that at less than half the price of a LCD2c. As per usual YMMV.

I've been reading up on LCD2's and it seems that they've been having unevenness in sound signature, driver issues in first and second batches... And they've gotten a lot of heat for it. There's apparently a few "perfect" LCD2's out there which are deemed as unicorns because they're so rare... I'm curious about the M1060C's mostly because a lot of people say the M1060's used similar tech than other higher priced planars and achieved a very similar sound at half the price...

Audeze support is apparently stellar, but is it worth twice the price? Who knows. :wink:

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #5,459 of 36,138
Glad to see me posting it got some people onboard.

You really like luring/pushing people off the wagon, don't you? :p
Instead of 'Headphoneus Supremus', they should change your title to something more appropriate.
'Wagoneus Ejectus' or something :wink:

I have been very much enjoying your R1 and U8 impressions though. But holding firm regardless :D

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #5,460 of 36,138
You really like luring/pushing people off the wagon, don't you? :p
Instead of 'Headphoneus Supremus', they should change your title to something more appropriate.
'Wagoneus Ejectus' or something :wink:

I have been very much enjoying your R1 and U8 impressions though. But holding firm regardless :D

I would go along the lines of "Influenceous FallusOffeth" :D haha. I always have had a bad influence on people to buy things... Which is cool for me, because I can shop around without spending (Which I love doing). It's just bad for people around me. :wink:

Thanks for the compliment about the review! However, Bob announced he has a customer return for the R1 going at £180... :p info@imracoustics.com (Hate the game, not the player!) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back