The Audio Lounge
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4,126 of 36,081
Yeah the AkG 7xx neutral flat. Is like flat....like a average girl from Japan type of flat. Literally.

It's great for mixing. But for listening it can be super boring to some.

Yeah, it is good for mixing. I would use it if I own a studio, but then again I would just get studio monitors instead...

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,128 of 36,081
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #4,129 of 36,081
Since you got your Athena's, how does it compare to your beloved Andromeda?
I think they are both on same level with each other.

Athena has that superb soundstage from Mt.Olympus haha jk jk. But it's good enough.

Unlike Andromeda. Athena is a lot more smooth in midrange. I talked to Ethan Groover over email. He decided to listen to Universal Athenas exclusively while at work. He hilariously found it the same thing.

Athena's strong points are
- Beautiful Midrange. Complemented by a gorgeously grand soundstage. Very much like a Greek Amphitheater, acoustics are excellent listening to Ambient music. I'm still listening to tons of indie bands on bandcamp (love bandcamp).

- Not as bright as Andromeda. But the highs are still soaring and le fantasque!!!

- Bass feels very welcoming to me. It's epic and able to keep up with all electronic songs so far. It's not basshead quality. It would be considered not enough at all.

But for average little me. I think they are just enough bass to consume without feeling fat.

They are also more comfortable. Due to acrylic. They dont feel cold or hot like Aluminum builds.

I was afraid of plastic. But EE Athena acrylic is very high quality. Ethan Groover from EE told me to still be careful with it. But it is made out of UV Lacquer Acrylic that is resistant to scratches.

I find Athena very enjoyable. Andromeda is still a fantastic iem to me. It's hard because it feels like this is ceiling. Both iems are able to listen to le fantasque amounts of detail at low volumes.

I can set volume lower than my usual amount with other iems like Periodic MG.
Still hear what I like!! Safe listening + enjoyment = win win!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #4,130 of 36,081
I mean, it's pretty new.....wouldn't the reasonable thing to do be just to send it back for warranty repair or a refund? Cuz all they succeeded in doing was literally throwing $300 into a dumpster.
Maybe, but you don't know how he got it. Might have been used, past warranrty, ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. Or it could have just fell in the trash on Accident.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,131 of 36,081
I think they are both on same level with each other.

Athena has that superb soundstage from Mt.Olympus haha jk jk. But it's good enough.

Unlike Andromeda. Athena is a lot more smooth in midrange. I talked to Ethan Groover over email. He decided to listen to Universal Athenas exclusively while at work. He hilariously found it the same thing.

Athena's strong points are
- Beautiful Midrange. Complemented by a gorgeously grand soundstage. Very much like a Greek Amphitheater, acoustics are excellent listening to Ambient music. I'm still listening to tons of indie bands on bandcamp (love bandcamp).

- Not as bright as Andromeda. But the highs are still soaring and le fantasque!!!

- Bass feels very welcoming to me. It's epic and able to keep up with all electronic songs so far. It's not basshead quality. It would be considered not enough at all.

But for average little me. I think they are just enough bass to consume without feeling fat.

They are also more comfortable. Due to acrylic. They dont feel cold or hot like Aluminum builds.

I was afraid of plastic. But EE Athena acrylic is very high quality. Ethan Groover from EE told me to still be careful with it. But it is made out of UV Lacquer Acrylic that is resistant to scratches.

I find Athena very enjoyable. Andromeda is still a fantastic iem to me. It's hard because it feels like this is ceiling. Both iems are able to listen to le fantasque amounts of detail at low volumes.

I can set volume lower than my usual amount with other iems like Periodic MG.
Still hear what I like!! Safe listening + enjoyment = win win!

Awesome, great to hear! Just wondering did you go for the ADEL variant?

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #4,133 of 36,081
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,135 of 36,081
That's what I'm wondering haha.

Only downside is adel modules reduce the isolation from what I'm looking up.
I live in city where I need that if I ever go outside. Always cars and other external noise.

I find it tough to choose between the modules if I haven't heard how the original variant sounds like. I may or may not like the enchancements or changes in sound signature. :frowning2:

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #4,136 of 36,081
I find it tough to choose between the modules if I haven't heard how the original variant sounds like. I may or may not like the enchancements or changes in sound signature. :frowning2:
I agree. I might want the current signature I have right now to change at all really.

Each module increases bass or mids.

Too much of anything is not good for me.
If something was lacking, i would consider or possibly just EQ instead :p

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #4,137 of 36,081
To join in on the Athena chat, just been listening to this on my way in to working on my pair of Athena CIEMs (non-ADEL):

Scorpions - Comeblack album (with bonus tracks): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7339AEA3E1396C11

Great thick sling to the guitar, vocals are clear as a bell without being sharp, and plenty of drive in the low end. Just been discussing with @JaeYoon how I think these are definitely the forgotten middle child of the EE range. Great sounding monitor.

Also, for fans of classic rock, I definitely recommend checking out the album - they rerecorded a load of classic Scorpions tunes and some great covers - great thick and crunchy guitars.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #4,138 of 36,081
I probably just have this impression on neutral sound signatures, I always imagine them to be thin or flat sounding much like a pair of AKG's I've tried in the past and that gave me an impression that neutral sound signatures are not for me. However, I guess growing up my tastes have matured and I find myself appreciating more clarity and less bass as compared to before. I used to only care about the quantity of bass, but now there are other factors to look at too. The biggest noticeable difference for me was I used to adore the HD650 but when I tried it 4 months ago, I found the mid-bass too much for me which is funny. Ended up with the 600's due to it's natural-ness. Tough decisions regarding the Plus because it does sound like a steal, just Massdrop people complaining about driver quantities and prices...

Yeah the AkG 7xx neutral flat. Is like flat....like a average girl from Japan type of flat. Literally.

It's great for mixing. But for listening it can be super boring to some.

If my avatar doesn’t show enough, I LOVE my AKG’s K701 and K7xx. I consider getting the K712 at some point.
With the right amount of juice (Schiit Asgard 2 or FiiO A5), they move me more than any < 500 USD can I’ve ever listened to.
YMMV of course...

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,140 of 36,081
If my avatar doesn’t show enough, I LOVE my AKG’s K701 and K7xx. I consider getting the K712 at some point.
With the right amount of juice (Schiit Asgard 2 or FiiO A5), they move me more than any < 500 USD can I’ve ever listened to.
YMMV of course...
That's a rare sight!! But a good one indeed!

I used to always see posts even on other headphone sites of people sayings it's too boring.

Even now and then luckily people will see it as a jewel!
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back