The Audio Lounge
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #35,656 of 36,031
How does Fiio compare to other audio brands. I started with a Fiio DAP in my portable audio journey. I'm mostly looking at Cayin and Hiby DAPs to compare.

I've nothing bad top say about FiiO sound wise nor build quality, one of my first DAP's and still an awesome machine is my X3ii as well as my BTR3K. Even though these were very much Dunu Titan's with FiiO EX1 badging they kicked it :wink:

Well here they are together along with that pesky Topping NX2, I see this was prior to putting the JDS mini IC on it:wink:

I, too, have had many FiiO DAPs and think their sound was great. I currently have the M11S. That is a very good kit, sound-wise and UI. Would I go for the TOTL? Probably not. I think Hiby has some great units out there and I think their sound is a little better than FiiO. I currently have the RS2 and R6iii, those are some fun sounding pieces.

Thanks for the advice both of you. I owned the x5 and x5ii Fiio DAPs way back when. I have to say they were excellent. But, yeah, like you said @Richsvt they aren't TOTL. The M23 looks killer though. The AKM DAC in the M23 is very interesting. But, the tubes in the Cayin N3 Ultra may tip the scales. Decisions, decisions. I'm probably starting a new onsite job so looking for something portable. Maybe I'll go iBasso DX320Max Ti. Don't need something super portable. 🤨🧐. Time to sell some amps and make some room for a DAP again. How do I always end up with way to many amps and not enough DACs?

I've had 4 or so FiiO DAPs, with the M11 being my current and have nothing I can say bad about them. But I also agree that FiiO isn't TOTL and that Hiby just makes a more fun sounding DAP. But since I love the the dual Micro SD card slots on the M11, I just downloaded the Hiby Player app to the FiiO and used the EQ and Hiby's awesome MSEB setings to get a better overall sound closer to my Hiby. I do wish FiiO hadn't migrated away from the dual card slots with their newer players though.

The N3Ultra is a pretty nice looking package

I think I'm going to go with the N3 Ultra. I'm going to wait for it to come out though. I'm sure prices will come down after release. I also want to read a few reviews before I buy.

I love the sound of the N3Pro. Love having a portable unit with tubes. I'm interested in seeing if the Ultra can support Balanced output in tube mode (the N3P cannot) and also what the power will be.

That N3Ultra looks to be a good option, but I'm also curious about what the power output is going to be with the tubes. Hopefully it's a fair bit more than the N3Pro on tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #35,657 of 36,031
Enjoying my Shanling M1 Thie Audio Legacy 3 today, man I love me some Shanling house sound, guess that's why I have 4 of theirs and just one The Bit, Cayin, FiiO, Colorfly, Walnut and A&K!

M1 L3 Blue-N-Gold.jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #35,659 of 36,031
That N3Ultra looks to be a good option, but I'm also curious about what the power output is going to be with the tubes. Hopefully it's a fair but more than the N3Pro on tubes.
Yeah, I'm waiting for specs before I buy. I was going to pre-order, but thought I should wait for more info on it.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #35,660 of 36,031
Perfume, gold sneakers, now bibles. The grift of america continues.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #35,662 of 36,031
@jerick70 I just finally got tracking info from Audeze on that case some of us bought. Have you gotten tracking yet?
Got order confirm but know tracking yet however you are giving me hope :beerchug:

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #35,663 of 36,031

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #35,664 of 36,031
Got order confirm but know tracking yet however you are giving me hope :beerchug:

Yeah, I was starting to doubt just a bit, figured they oversold and might start cancelling. But Audeze impressed me and is still fulfilling the orders. Another gent in the Deals thread also got his tracking# today.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #35,665 of 36,031
Yeah, I was starting to doubt just a bit, figured they oversold and might start cancelling. But Audeze impressed me and is still fulfilling the orders. Another gent in the Deals thread also got his tracking# today.
:fingers_crossed:

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #35,667 of 36,031
WOW: Sea

Blind Faith

Honeydrippers

Echo and the Bunnymen

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #35,668 of 36,031

Users who are viewing this thread

Back