The Audio Lounge
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #3,436 of 36,086
thanks a lot. So this software is to verify the format of the audio files right?

Not to verify format. Its a guide so you can transcode and test containers against one another.

Eg - take a 24/192 file, transcode to 24/96, 16/44.1 and even MP3 or AAC. Test yourself using the blind testing functionality. See if you can tell the difference. Because its from the same master, and you use replay gain to normalise (volume match), and you don't know which is which - you take the test and the software randomises it. Its an eye opener. I thought (years ago) that I could easily tell the diff between high-res and high bit-rate lossy. I can't. Take away your sight and it call comes down to audio.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #3,437 of 36,086
Not to verify format. Its a guide so you can transcode and test containers against one another.

Eg - take a 24/192 file, transcode to 24/96, 16/44.1 and even MP3 or AAC. Test yourself using the blind testing functionality. See if you can tell the difference. Because its from the same master, and you use replay gain to normalise (volume match), and you don't know which is which - you take the test and the software randomises it. Its an eye opener. I thought (years ago) that I could easily tell the diff between high-res and high bit-rate lossy. I can't. Take away your sight and it call comes down to audio.
omg this sounds so fun. I believe its TRANSCODING WITH DBPOWERAMP section right?

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #3,438 of 36,086
THX for the link Paul, will be something fun to check out for sure. Just have to squeeze that in between Honey Do's, and my Taxi service to Cross Country meets, ROTC, Soccer, Sports events for the Cross Country/Soccer player who thought I'll be a photographer on the Annual staff this year because dad does not take me enough places now:rolling_eyes:

So Rantng is falling down already on his new and improved Trinity Audio promis, no :open_mouth: there eh! So here's my late reply, it's not even so much that the reply is late but once again the putting together of two & two by staff that gets me the most! So my question was shipping status on the Icarus # 1 but this is his reply:

Hello Timothy,

Apologies for the late reply, the Icarus I will be shipping as soon as the Airs have been shipped.

Regards,

Kieran

Trinity Audio Engineering Ltd

www.trinityaudioengineering.com

Maybe it's just me and I'm expecting too much:astonished: So would one not think that per my question you might tell me what the shipping status of those Airs are and when their shipping might be complete, another case of one standing behind the door when common sense was being passed out:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,439 of 36,086
@Brooko funny enough I remember getting those instructions at hydrogen audio to test out Lame -v5

I was recommended it wasn't about quality it was about transparency.

I passed them and Lame -v2 and -v1 and -v0 were all fails against flac and uploaded my logs.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #3,440 of 36,086
@Brooko funny enough I remember getting those instructions at hydrogen audio to test out Lame -v5

I was recommended it wasn't about quality it was about transparency.

I passed them and Lame -v2 and -v1 and -v0 were all fails against flac and uploaded my logs.

Interestingly enough, there are a few killer samples (search on Hydrogen) that with MP3 can be discerned, but they are rare. I haven't found anyone who can discern aac256. That included a young guy who had exceptional listening skills (SR007 set-up). Its worth testing yourself though because everyone's threshold is probably different. Below about 200 (on rare ocassions) I could spot some differences. So for me aac256 was the answer in the end. Complete transparency. Means I can get around 500 albums on a 64 Gb card. Bliss :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,441 of 36,086
Yeah.. I got it for $50 for and got some decent use out of it, but I really should have looked up the cost of cartridges first because....ouch.

Yeah but you got a slammin' deal on the table, that MMC cartridge just evens it out a little and the MMC is a pretty sweet cartridge and worth the price IMO. I'm running this on my secondary rig's P-1 now:wink:

Amadeus 2M Blue.jpg

RP-1.JPG

I better get Politically Correct in this thread now:slight_smile: These are not all that bad of a Hybrid 1DD1BA for the price, tips make all the difference in the world, HiHo Auvio Away:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

S5 DN1.JPG

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #3,442 of 36,086
Interestingly enough, there are a few killer samples (search on Hydrogen) that with MP3 can be discerned, but they are rare. I haven't found anyone who can discern aac256. That included a young guy who had exceptional listening skills (SR007 set-up). Its worth testing yourself though because everyone's threshold is probably different. Below about 200 (on rare ocassions) I could spot some differences. So for me aac256 was the answer in the end. Complete transparency. Means I can get around 500 albums on a 64 Gb card. Bliss :)
I agree brooko. I bet even with my new iems. I cannot pass AAC 256 or Lame v0 which is equivalent in variable bitrate.

Id be satisfied with either lossy formats too.

I only use flac on stuff I buy at hdtracks or favorite songs. But lossy format can save tons of space and a little battery.

A really good rip can make a big difference in transparency between lossy and lossless. It gave me a idea how much of a limit on one's hearing was.

I havent done a good abx test in a year or so. I should give it a go sometime.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,444 of 36,086
I just want to take the time to thank you again for that EAC tutorial. I've gone back to it multiple times when ripping and it's never let me down.

Excellent call, I don't think that I ever even told Paul that I saved his thread to my favorites after the first time I read and applied it:beerchug:

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3,447 of 36,086
Hey guys just a heads up if anyone is interested.
Hifiman he400i on Amazon UK about half price....£180 only 5 pairs left.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

**edit** Hooray. Does not ship to Canada. :D

Weren't the Massdrop 400's cheaper than that when they were up?

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,450 of 36,086
There not the same apparently and a load of rubbish...i looked at those and there are reviews on here but apparently not the same and not very good.

The last drop of HiFiMan HE4XX haven't shipped, won't until December. How are people hearing them to rate them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back