The Audio Lounge
Sep 15, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,421 of 36,068
@Howlin Fester @JaeYoon
since I only use IEMs/CIEMs, I feel that I never need the line out, because (C)IEMs don't really need amp to be loud. I only need the DAP to play music, obviously, and act as external DAC to replace the inferior on-board DAC of PC/laptop.
While the setup at home might be changed in the future when I have more money to dump on standalone DAC and amp, I think the on-the-go setup will stay simple (just DAP + CIEM) forever. Fewer things to carry = better. Hell, few days ago I even considered LG V20/V30 instead of DAPs lol
Yes. I never really need an external amp for mine either.
You should be fine with your current setup.

I mean you can't go wrong with an LG V30 either. V20 has a replaceable battery.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3,422 of 36,068
Yes. I never really need an external amp for mine either.
You should be fine with your current setup.

I mean you can't go wrong with an LG V30 either. V20 has a replaceable battery.
Lol my current setup is Sansa Clip Zip on-the-go and IEMs plug straight into 3.5mm hole of my laptop. This is about to be changed in 2 months when Harmony 8.2 will reach me, and hopefully by then I've already decided on a new DAP.
In my last thinking process, I don't want LG phones since I figure I will prefer the UI of stock Android of Google Pixel, or One Plus or Mi A1 if talking about affordability. There's always a possibility of flashing ROM like Linenage OS (successor of Cyanogen Mod), but sometimes I just feel too tired to do all those tinkering already :-< I'm using Redmi Note 3 btw, 2 days ago the CM13 died for some reason, and now I'm at Linenage 14.1

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #3,423 of 36,068
HD Tracks 15% off code for new releases HDSEPT15

hd.png

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #3,425 of 36,068
sorry for being noob but your point is listening to 16 bit 44khz is perfectly fine as long as the recording and mastering is done well right?

Yep absolutely. On all my DAPs - including the new X7ii - I pretty much run aac256 (lossy). I'd switch to FLAC (simply for ease of use) if the internal memory was bigger. A lot of people get twisted into thinking higher resolution is better. In reality, even most professionals will tell you there is no point in going above 24/96 (for listening). If you ever want to test your own threshold for formats - let me know and I can link you a how-to. Software is free and all it will cost you is time :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #3,426 of 36,068
EVERYONE interested in first impressions of the MEE Audio Pinnacle P2.......at first listen, Pinnacle P2 is a double thumbs up from me :ksc75smile:. Will need more extensive listening of course, but from what I'm hearing right now, MEE Audio's nailed a new entry perfectly into the Pinnacle series. The M7 Pro that's $50 more than this? If we're using the P2 as the baseline price, the M7 Pro should be $100 as well. The M7 Pro pumps out more bass and as a result, is more v-shaped and darker, but the P2 is very much a more general-consumer-friendly sound signature with qualities easily linked to the P1. M7 Pro and P2 are IEMs on the same level IMO, just catering to different sound signature preferences. While I'd say the M7 Pro is the full-on IEM that does the Beats sound sig, but with better control in all categories, the P2 is smack dab in between M7 Pro and P1, with appropriate, but not overpowering bass. More bass than the P1, definitely not flat, but easily less than the M7 Pro. Like the P1 and the M7 Pro, the P2 pushes out more detail than its price would suggest IMO and paired with the sound staging qualities (though not on par with the P1) it inherited from its bigger brother, the P2's detail, clarity, and spatial capability is well-deserving of high marks for this price bracket. On some songs (I've just been kinda speed scrubbing a bit since I gotta get some sleep soon before work tomorrow, but DAMN I'm excited about these!), it feels like the overall signature is definitely still v-shaped, but to a much lesser extent than the M7 Pro; I'd say a very slight v-shape, so vocals are still very sweet, present, and just generally sound great. The P2 was designed (and IMO perfectly hits its mark) to be enjoyable by the masses. It has a lot of the qualities I remember from the P1 and it fills in the bit of the P1 that I personally felt was lacking. And it's way easier to drive than the P1.

On the point of packaging/accessories/etc., it's as top-notch as I expected. Very reminiscent to the P1's (in fact, the outer box is almost exactly the same) and well-presented. The carrying case, while less extravagant and luxurious, is more functional than the P1's. Pocket-portable hardshell zippered case, pure function. The cable is a bit springy and has memory character, but definitely looks robust and has a nice smooth matte texture. They also learned a little something and the strain relief on the jack is the same design, but made with slightly more flexible material than the jack on the P1 cable. Also, no memory wire! I like that, though I'm not gonna be using the stock cable. I don't use mic functions so the remote is there to just annoy me. Being the same shape as the P1 means it's also just a super comfortable. Dynamic driver vent is in a different location; it's on the outside-facing part of the shell now rather than the inside-facing part. Not sure how that's gonna be for wind noise until I'm outside with these. As it stands now, I'm listening to this through my iPod Touch 5g with a cheap Sainsonic cable.

I'm really liking what I hear. I'm fairly doubtful that listening to it more will change my opinion of these; the P2s are an easy recommendation in the $100 bracket :thumbsup:

EDIT: Lol, these impressions are already waaaaayyyy more useful and informative than those "reviews" posted on the P2's Amazon page. I just find it funny. Anyway, I should take these out of my ears and go get some sleep. Can get in more listening tomorrow to and from work, maybe a bit at the office.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #3,427 of 36,068
- I pretty much run aac256 (lossy)
I have always used 256aac, or 320mp3, and been perfectly happy. Last year I got caught up in all the high-res hype and sat down for 2 solid days testing back and forth with high-res, FLAC, and lossy, with the preconception that FLAC and high-resolution must be superior.
Nope.
After about 12 hours of exhaustive testing, I found exactly 20 seconds of music that I could repeatedly distinguish between FLAC and aac. That was all, and that could easily have been explained by a transcoding glitch or other phenomenon. After that I happily fulled my drives with all lossy, and totally believe that I am not missing a thing. It was time well spent, because I was ready to believe the hype, and I completely believe that honestly testing oneself is the only way to understand the limitations of one's equipment and hearing.
The same tests between players revealed similar findings, but that's another story.. :wink:

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #3,428 of 36,068
Yep absolutely. On all my DAPs - including the new X7ii - I pretty much run aac256 (lossy). I'd switch to FLAC (simply for ease of use) if the internal memory was bigger. A lot of people get twisted into thinking higher resolution is better. In reality, even most professionals will tell you there is no point in going above 24/96 (for listening). If you ever want to test your own threshold for formats - let me know and I can link you a how-to. Software is free and all it will cost you is time :)
yes, please kindly provide the link :D thanks a lot

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #3,429 of 36,068
@Brooko - I wouldn't mind the link as well, if you can send/post it. I tend to buy most of my music on CD and rip to FLAC for versatility in case I need to convert to another format later on, but I do have quite a bit in 320 kbps format as well, so wouldn't mind knowing where my hearing "stops".

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,430 of 36,068
Sep 15, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #3,432 of 36,068
If you ever want to test your own threshold for formats - let me know and I can link you a how-to. Software is free and all it will cost you is time :)

Yes, I want to test! Please PM me, thanks :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #3,434 of 36,068
I did it! I resisted the MD 64 Audio drop. I am really proud of myself for not giving in. I have enough IEMs for now to explore.

Me: See, I could do it (I said to my wife- who knows I can resist anything but temptation). She saw right through my thinly veiled attempt at saving money.
Her: What are you waiting to buy now...?
Me: uh, nothing. (Under my breath), for now...

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #3,435 of 36,068
I did it! I resisted the MD 64 Audio drop. I am really proud of myself for not giving in. I have enough IEMs for now to explore.

Me: See, I could do it (I said to my wife- who knows I can resist anything but temptation). She saw right through my thinly veiled attempt at saving money.
Her: What are you waiting to buy now...?
Me: uh, nothing. (Under my breath), for now...
lol congratz brah. I also successfully resisted it :))

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back