The Audio Lounge
Jul 27, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #316 of 36,081
Can't help much with amps. Dap has plenty of power for IEMs and it would cost so much to match the DAP's internal amp quality. My long range plan beginning 2016 was to buy a Bottlehead Crack amp kit that winter. It only works with high impedance cans like my adored Sennheiser HD600. Supposed to be heavenly with HD600. The M&J GL2 happened beforehand. Then the MJ2. Thankfully I didn't buy an amp that only works at 300 ohms. Have briefly played the GL2 with dad's Schiit Magni. Sounded good, not necessarily better than hooked directly to the Pono Player.

Actually the Flare R2Pro might do better with an amp. They play loud on the Pono, but I always feel they might be capable of more. They are about as inefficient as the HD600.

I considered a bottlehead as I build electro mechanic stuff but couldn't be bothered, also I mentioned the Valhalla 2 but as you said and like you I haven't got that much thst needs the power apart from my fostex t50rp.
I wanted something non portable like the schiit stuff but.when I started scouring info the mojo and black label both kept sticking a boot in a lot of the schiit options under £1000 ...im now down to the black label again although I hsve considered Jot with multibit or mojo as the jot will virtually run anything ...il pick one in the end.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #318 of 36,081
Being in the US I would give Schiit extra points for building everything here. I also enjoy reading their sponsored thread. They are very transparent about product development and business choices. Supported an IEM company that was like that. Ouch.

679.jpg

:sunglasses:

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #319 of 36,081
Being in the US I would give Schiit extra points for building everything here. I also enjoy reading their sponsored thread. They are very transparent about product development and business choices. Supported an IEM company that was like that. Ouch.

I have heard the jotunheim is fantastic also others have said its too bright but it is getting a lot of praise .
I think my dilemma is that the 2 portables idsd black label and mojo on paper are punching way above there price bracket and I have had conversations on both with guys that have jot, Valhalla, idsd black label and mojo and tell me theres not a night and day difference between some of them .
I wanted a nice looking stack in the corner of a room poss with tubes but when you got 2 portables at half the price that are in owners opinions punching pretty damn close it's hard to ignore.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #321 of 36,081
Omg sub bass...whole lotta love/ led zeplin, it reminded me of being next to a speaker at a gig lol

I think I'm gonna like these, one criticism already they look extremely delicate ! (Not build its top notch , just because there tiny!) Im an iem murderer ....gonna have to be careful lol

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #322 of 36,081
The packaging is bound to win an award. Some grumble about what it must cost to make, but it is cool. Agree with both sides of the argument and flip flop often. Don't mind supporting the visual arts, if they are well done like this.

So how do they sound? They will probably need some break in to loosen up. I usually can't stand the sound of new speakers/earphones until after break in. Takes time before they can do decay and ambiance correctly. Usually give a first listen upon arrival, then let them play on repeat. Checking back every day or 2. Life is too short for listening to inferior sound. Also hit it with the Cardas/Ayre Irrational But Effacicious sweep tones ( ripped from CD) to rejuvenate the souund.

So how do they sound?

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #323 of 36,081
Omg sub bass...whole lotta love/ led zeplin, it reminded me of being next to a speaker at a gig lol

I think I'm gonna like these, one criticism already they look extremely delicate ! (Not build its top notch , just because there tiny!) Im an iem murderer ....gonna have to be careful lol

Damn you! These weren't on my radar until you said the magic words, "sub bass".

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #324 of 36,081
Ok I have listened to 3 tracks on just the standard silicone so take anything I say as a pinch of salt
first of all the sound is very much more like a speaker in a sort of way, feel like I'm listening to speakers to some degree .
On first listen, average sound stage, realy nice separation of instruments though and they sound realy neutral, not heard any sibilance or harshness which for me would be the biggest killer as I suffer with the highs , mids vocals seem just right for me not recessed but not to far in my face.
The sub bass is awesome i don't think I have owned a pair of iems that have produced sub bass like that.
All in all very balanced across the board at first test but as you say they need time and i need to try different tips and listen for a lot longer before i would make real judgement.
Honestly I think there probably going to be the best iems i have owned.
The second I put a track on they reminded me of my planars as in the way music was presented.
I'm not the best at description so please forgive me and also i think that on initial listen you would think hmmmm but i think that possibly will show how good they are because nothing seems to upfront if that makes sense.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #326 of 36,081
Well, since somebody was talking about my MJ2 I took them back out ... I now wonder why do I bother using IEM :)

Till I saw the Flares photos. Damn!
Yep. Kind of where I'm at. Used to listen to IEMs a lot more at home. The isolation was helpful compared to the open back Sennheiser HD600. But the M&J, being closed back isolate darn well. Well enough at home. Still prefer the IEMs for portability and very noisy environments.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #327 of 36,081
Ok I have listened to 3 tracks on just the standard silicone so take anything I say as a pinch of salt
first of all the sound is very much more like a speaker in a sort of way, feel like I'm listening to speakers to some degree .
On first listen, average sound stage, realy nice separation of instruments though and they sound realy neutral, not heard any sibilance or harshness which for me would be the biggest killer as I suffer with the highs , mids vocals seem just right for me not recessed but not to far in my face.
The sub bass is awesome i don't think I have owned a pair of iems that have produced sub bass like that.
All in all very balanced across the board at first test but as you say they need time and i need to try different tips and listen for a lot longer before i would make real judgement.
Honestly I think there probably going to be the best iems i have owned.
The second I put a track on they reminded me of my planars as in the way music was presented.
I'm not the best at description so please forgive me and also i think that on initial listen you would think hmmmm but i think that possibly will show how good they are because nothing seems to upfront if that makes sense.

Like what you are describing. Think you hit a home run. I like Flare because they resist hyping up the sound. They don't add lots of forward upper mid and highs for fake detail enhancement. Nor boomy bass for show. Just natural sound. With good drivers and tuning I don't need red filters, blue flters, gold filters, etc. Just give me the pure, unmessed with sound. Flare has always done that.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #328 of 36,081
Like what you are describing. Think you hit a home run. I like Flare because they resist hyping up the sound. They don't add lots of forward upper mid and highs for fa:smile_phones:ke detail enhancement. Nor boomy bass for show. Just natural sound. With good drivers and tuning I don't need red filters, blue flters, gold filters, etc. Just give me the pure, unmessed with sound. Flare has always done that.

I should get you to explain my thoughts because your description is most accurate.....slightly off topic but your description is why I liked the opus 1 over the fiio on first listen it was hmmmm but once i listened and compared to fiio it sounded fake, enhanced compared, please don't get me wrong I love the x7 but i just think the opus 1 is just so much more natural.
Anyway I think the same analogy applies to the flares and thats why I think they are gonna be great.
, fit is not the easiest to get right being so small /a bit fiddly but super comfy once right, reminds me of some klipsch I had years ago. They remind me of the planars because I think they have the same cleaness to the overall notes very fast acurate.
I'm very pleased so far

Still can't get over the sub bass lol

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #330 of 36,081
Yep. Kind of where I'm at. Used to listen to IEMs a lot more at home. The isolation was helpful compared to the open back Sennheiser HD600. But the M&J, being closed back isolate darn well. Well enough at home. Still prefer the IEMs for portability and very noisy environments.

Still the MJ (HP1 and MJ2) are truly excellent. I do have IEM as well ad I have been using the Master6 lately (which I like but it is not everybody's cup of tea), and I will soon go back to my Periodic Be. So happy finally I got most of my Trinity refund back. Only one order needs still refunding and then there is the AIR ... which I doubt I will ever see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back