There’s a track?

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #28,067 of 36,079
481b3f51ec0708b2716dfd8b1baf5b86.jpg

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #28,068 of 36,079
867595bd07ab76d877afcf2b3e226818.jpg

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #28,069 of 36,079
1 (31).JPG

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #28,071 of 36,079
This just popped up.. looks like DT is releasing more video from the new album...

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #28,072 of 36,079
I know there are a few people on this thread who have Linux PCs.
Does your version of Linux use pipe-wire as the audio backend?
This past weekend, I updated my Kubuntu PC from 20.04 to 21.10, which now uses pipe-wire. Initially, the USB output to my iFi Micro iDSD (used as a USB to SPDIF converter) wasn't detected, until I manually activated pipe-wire. Then audio was passing through the system to my Blur earbuds.
While doing further testing, I found that instead of passing through the 192-KHz tracks to the DAC (which ALSA/pulseaudio did correctly), it's resampling them to 176.4-KHz (weird). I'm guessing that it may be due to some sort of interaction between the the legacy ALSA & pulseaudio and new pipe-wire config files. Looking in the files, I don't see any obvious directives to resample to 176.4-KHz.
Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting this odd pipe-wire issue? Thanks!

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #28,073 of 36,079
Oct 25, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #28,074 of 36,079
I know the Fostex RP series of headphones borders on old school. I’m just getting back into some of these offerings. I had the Dekoni Blue (a lightly modded T50RP piece-I think-by Dekoni). I liked the sound but at the time was seeking something else. I think went for the Sennheiser HD6XX at the time for replacement. That lasted for a while. Those were a great piece.

Came back around to the Fostex as the format is very open to modding. Liked that it wasn’t stratospheric in cost as well. I like bass and so everything I read on the RP offering was to go to the T20 and change it from there. Was going to try to get an Argon modded in balanced but that is only the T50 and I wanted to hear the T20 (and the wait time was long). Now as an aside, most the pieces I owned, I had never done any serious mod beyond pads and cables. So I am not sure what I expected to do with these.

I, of course, listened to it OOTB and was pretty impressed that it met my initial expectations. Nice bass beasty that quieted the uppers pretty well. Ok, so I changed the pads as the stock was bassy but I couldn’t sit for too long without pain. Went to the Brainwavz Memory foam that was quite comfy. Lost some of that deep bass that I was expecting to a mid-centric with accentuated upper bass piece. Hmmm. Is this good? I’m not sure. Swapped in a silver plated SE cable (the stock rubbery thing had to go). I don’t perceive to hear any significant changes even though I swear I can tell a decent cable swap. Staging and instrument placement doesn’t change. Still a little narrow and low for staging. Placement is a little intimate but ok.

I have played it through the Hiby R3P. Pushing its limits and not that impressed with output. The Cayin N3P in triode mode is wonderful, still pushing it pretty high but stable. The DX160 can handle the volume better but loses that tube-ness richness. The Shanling M5S connected to the Schiit Heresy is just great. Not the same richness of the little tubes but presentation never falls off. Haven’t tried with the Schiit Bimby and Lyr 2 yet but that’ll have to wait as they’re in storage at the moment. I swapped units around with the Heresy but got mostly what I did from the M5S.

Do I keep going and start modding how the driver handles its space in the change of dynamics of the cup airspace? Not sure what I want. I hated the comfort of the factory pads but liked that deep uncontrolled bass. Hated the swap out too (what a PITA to get pads set into those silly little channels). Didn’t the Sennheiser have those nice set tabs/buttons making swap out so easy? Where is that ease with the Fostex and so many others? The Meze 99 is like that too, damn.

I’ll get off my podium now. Just wanted to detail some of this little journey. At this point in my life, I have so many other little distractions competing for my time and money that audio may not thrive too fruitfully. I will always have some attention given to music, just not as often as I would ideally be given to.

T20RP, I like it and not sure where I can take its signature. It’ll stay for a while, I think.

1635196100161.png

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #28,075 of 36,079
I know there are a few people on this thread who have Linux PCs.
Does your version of Linux use pipe-wire as the audio backend?
This past weekend, I updated my Kubuntu PC from 20.04 to 21.10, which now uses pipe-wire. Initially, the USB output to my iFi Micro iDSD (used as a USB to SPDIF converter) wasn't detected, until I manually activated pipe-wire. Then audio was passing through the system to my Blur earbuds.
While doing further testing, I found that instead of passing through the 192-KHz tracks to the DAC (which ALSA/pulseaudio did correctly), it's resampling them to 176.4-KHz (weird). I'm guessing that it may be due to some sort of interaction between the the legacy ALSA & pulseaudio and new pipe-wire config files. Looking in the files, I don't see any obvious directives to resample to 176.4-KHz.
Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting this odd pipe-wire issue? Thanks!
Anytime I do a do-release-upgrade on Ubuntu I always use a backup package like Timeshift before I do the upgrade. There’s always regressions that you have to deal with doing upgrades especially when switching subsystems like audio. Even when it’s a pretty much vanilla kernel, windows manager, version upgrade I’ve had huge issues.

Anyway, I never recommend upgrades and push people toward installing from scratch and laying your old settings down on top of the new install from an backup. You may get better mileage out of a backup and reinstall. Your upgrade will most likely never run, function, or look like 21.10 was designed too.

As for help with your situation, I do have a pretty detailed wiki page from Archlinux on pipewire. It should work with Ubuntu also. Location of config files may be wrong though.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire#Changing_the_sample_rate

Here’s a linky for the install and use of Timeshift.

https://www.fosslinux.com/34377/how-to-backup-and-restore-ubuntu-with-timeshift.htm?amp

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #28,076 of 36,079
1 (81)(1).jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #28,078 of 36,079

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #28,079 of 36,079

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #28,080 of 36,079
Anyone recognize those cans?

1 (134).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back