The Audio Lounge
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #26,297 of 36,079
Hi Loungers,

Here's my WOW contribution; sadly I missed the last one although I had some good ideas, sigh..

But first up for today, a cheerful old classic; Candi Staton with 'Young Hearts, Run Free':

Next up, something a bit different! It's a song from the soundtrack of a Korean film, whose name has various English translations (Speed Scandal, Speeding Scandal, Speedy Scandal, and others).
It's a great, heartwarming and funny film (by the director who made Korean mega-hit movie 'My Sassy Girl'), featuring a playboy bachelor who discovers one day that he not only has a daughter, but also a grandson, and has to face up to his responsibilities (reluctantly) :D
Anyway, here's the song, 'Perhaps That', from Park Bo Young, the actress who portrayed the daughter in the film:

Finally, it's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant with the excellent 'When the wold was young' :)

Happy Thursday everybody :)

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #26,298 of 36,079
Forgot to say, seriously, give that Korean song a try!
It's an ear worm. I don't understand a word of it, but the mood of it is just wonderful and the melody (vocal and musical) really sticks in your brain :D

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #26,299 of 36,079
Don’t know the stat for one, but concentration of wealth is everywhere. So looked it up, figures Canada not as concentrated or as exuberant total wealth. 1600 families 5.7% of wealth so mini mega wealth, 3.6 million top families own 8.7 trillion, so small fries compared Somewhat
walton familly as an ex 150 billion. Canada Thomson’s 8 billion. Also usa had 90 year head start on Canada.

But the US has 10X the population of Canada, so multiply all those figures by 10 to compare.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #26,300 of 36,079
You can’t multiply nav, it is what it is. The Walton and Koch families net wealth of 300 billion is equivalent to the top 100 families in canada. No usa absolutly has the highest concentration of wealth.
for example in the USA slavery put black Americans so far behind the inter generational real estate inheritance ladder that the net gap between whites and blacks will never be the same, even if every black got a post graduate degree. Think about it, elites are propagated by familly wealth and inheritance of which real estate is key. Not just over 20 years but 100,s of years. So usa longer history is part of the inter generational wealth as well as other factors like scale of economy, tax differences, barriers to access.
‘the other factor so it’s not all bad, usa is the number 1 in the world for total private donations. You might have to be to cover inequity due to fierce individualism but at least you got that

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #26,301 of 36,079
just a final thought on america first, exceptionalism, trumpism, populism. America first isn't new it failed in 1807,1939, and was resurrected by trump. ( pat bucanon had a brief flirt with it) It will fail again but it comes from fear of losing a way of life. Well a certain way of life for certain type of folks. Ill leave the debate to if its elites or common men fear. exceptionalism and populism stem from this fear and honestly you aren't and only narcissists would think that they are.
we are in this thing together even if in different parts of the world and what aboutism, is a false flag, everyone is guilty and everyone is the solution. IMO, back to four tet

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #26,303 of 36,079
Canada has its own baggage involving indigenous peoples. Course it was doomed from the get go with reserves, but that’s another story. We apologized and reconciliation but it didn’t do squat

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #26,304 of 36,079
Sup everyone. Thought I would check in. I'm in super cold Iowa today for work. Hammering down those computer viruses. The temp is a mind numbing -22. Burrrrrr. It's the coldest I've ever felt and I've been in a lot of cold places with lower temps.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hang in there with these cold storms coming through the US.

I can remember being on a ski trip (with an Explorer Scouts group) in the early '80s, at the Marble Falls resort in the Ozark Mountains, near Harrison, Arkansas. The cable weather channel reported that the temperature down in Harrison was -14°F, and rising (so it had been colder than that in the valley), and we knew it was colder up on the mountain. :santa:
When I was a kid, we lived at Fairchild Air Force Base, near Spokane, WA. I suspect that the weather was even colder then, but I don't remember the specifics.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #26,305 of 36,079
1613694926516.png

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #26,306 of 36,079
1613694991677.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #26,307 of 36,079
1613744021008.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #26,308 of 36,079
I've got a question about the wiring of a Balanced Input Attenuator (Volume Control) -
A single-ended attenuator connects between the input signal and GND, with the wiper providing the moveable tap that goes to the next stage.
A balanced output doesn't use a GND reference, since the signals are "floating" (+) and (-).
So, I'm wondering, when the (+) and (-) signals get connected to the "top" of the two attenuators - what gets connected to the "bottom" of them?

On this web page [ https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/attenuator.html ] there's a reference to the two balanced signals going to a center "GND", which should not be a signal GND, but could be a virtual ground, by connecting the two attenuators to each other.
Bad ASCII art example:

x (+) Signal Input
\
/
<- (+) Signal Output (Attenuator 1 wiper)
\
/
x Virtual Ground
\
/
<- (-) Signal Output (Attenuator 2 wiper)
\
/
x (-) Signal Input

You have to imagine that when turning the Volume Down, the Attenuator 1 wiper is rotating down, and the Attenuator 2 wiper is rotating up. As they get closer to each other, the (+) and (-) Outputs that feed the next stage differential inputs, gets smaller and smaller.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #26,309 of 36,079
On this web page [ https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/attenuator.html ] there's a reference to the two balanced signals going to a center "GND", which should not be a signal GND, but could be a virtual ground, by connecting the two attenuators to each other.
Bad ASCII art example:

x (+) Signal Input
\
/
<- (+) Signal Output (Attenuator 1 wiper)
\
/
x Virtual Ground
\
/
<- (-) Signal Output (Attenuator 2 wiper)
\
/
x (-) Signal Input

You have to imagine that when turning the Volume Down, the Attenuator 1 wiper is rotating down, and the Attenuator 2 wiper is rotating up. As they get closer to each other, the (+) and (-) Outputs that feed the next stage differential inputs, gets smaller and smaller.

Attachments

• mind blown.gif
    mind blown.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back