The Audio Lounge
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,521 of 36,382
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,526 of 36,382
For sure ahead of their time:open_mouth:

So I've got to find a fit/seal solution to these BGVP SGZ-DN1's!!!! Shell shape and short Nozz keeping me from getting a seal and any bass, top end seems clear as a bell though:rolling_eyes:

BGVP SGZDN1.JPG

Attachments

• Boink.JPG
    Boink.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,529 of 36,382
Saw some of you might be Blues fans. I'm big on Bonamassa but discovered a brother and sister fronted band last year - now have all of their albums. She has one of the most raw and powerful voices I've heard (she really should be a superstar).

Bandcamp page - albums are cheap and quality is better. And you can buy the albums digitally (FLAC)

You'll be able to play the whole album from that link.

That IS awesome. I'll be visiting the bandcamp page later to download! Thanks.

I'm sure you have heard Trampled Under Foot and Danielle Nicole. (Danielle is one of the siblings singing in Trampled Under Foot. And her solo stuff is great as well.

Another random audio memory, the best ever concert that I went to for sound quality was Roger Waters, Pros And Cons of Hitchhiking, Earl's court London, 1984, which had the most amazing surround sound system ringing the audience...
Combined with the incredible backdrops and Clapton guesting on guitar, you could have heard a pin drop on stage. The clarity was breathtaking, the power immense.
I recall at the time thinking it was like going from analogue to digital in the concert experience. :)

The best sounding concert I've ever been to was Tool in Atlanta at the Tabernacle in 2006. The Tabernacle is an old church and the acoustics are phenomenal. We got to see them on the day that Lateralus was released in May of 2006. They opened with Stinkfist, and the wood floor just seemed to pulse in rhythm with music. Incredible sound. Incredible show. Don't think I'll ever see or hear anything better.

Thanks for all the music posts. I'm going to purchase some Jocelyn and Chris Arndt. Definitely going to look more into Precious Bryant, the Dead South and The O'Reilys and the Paddyhats.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,530 of 36,382
Nice looking, but big shell size. It's a hybrid?

Yes 1DD 1BA, lovely to look at but the shell shape/nozzle angle not working 4 me:sob:

DN1 Backs.JPG

True @Midgetguy but I'll bet these two are classically trained where I'd bet Steve'n'Seagulls are not! (Could be wrong but I'm thinking not, when's the last time you saw an Accordion player pull up on his riding mower:rolling_eyes:)

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,531 of 36,382
That IS awesome. I'll be visiting the bandcamp page later to download! Thanks.

I'm sure you have heard Trampled Under Foot and Danielle Nicole. (Danielle is one of the siblings singing in Trampled Under Foot. And her solo stuff is great as well.

The best sounding concert I've ever been to was Tool in Atlanta at the Tabernacle in 2006. The Tabernacle is an old church and the acoustics are phenomenal. We got to see them on the day that Lateralus was released in May of 2006. They opened with Stinkfist, and the wood floor just seemed to pulse in rhythm with music. Incredible sound. Incredible show. Don't think I'll ever see or hear anything better.

Thanks for all the music posts. I'm going to purchase some Jocelyn and Chris Arndt. Definitely going to look more into Precious Bryant, the Dead South and The O'Reilys and the Paddyhats.

Nice @Howlin Fester , meant to post a little on concerts earlier:rolling_eyes: Best performed concert I've ever seen and have seen more than I can remember was Kansas in Germany 1978 when the original band were at their peak on the "Point of know return" tour, but the most memorable show I've ever attended was Hendrix and the Experience Feb. 1968, at the Houston Music Hall :grin: My liberal parents let me go as an 11 year old with my best bud who was 17 (I always liked hanging out with older kids, hopefully I was ahead of my time instead of just hating people my age:scream:) LOL I thought I was so cool, wore an old red, white & Blue high school band jacket with my jeans ala Sgt. Peppers:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That was the high point of my year unfortunately in Sept. of that year I lost my father to bone cancer, but that brings me to why I'm in this hobby if it were not for music I may have never pulled through so that I could be the nemesis I am here today:tongue:

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,532 of 36,382
For something quite different. Best concert was Judas Priest at The Rainbow Music Hall. Only holds about 500 max if that. Within 6ft of Rob Halford. Probably could have reached out and touched the Harley he walked out on. Incredible the power of his voice! Small venues can be quite exciting.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,533 of 36,382
In the beginning of August had the pleasure of visiting Osaka's great E-earphone store. There, I sold my PM4, Masters and a pair of Dunu Titan 3 in return (plus 20 bucks) got a mint condition Opus 1 with a case. Yay!
I still had my low budget rig consisting of an iPod classic and Fiio Q1 for testing purposes. The store was pretty empty as it was mid-week and I tried out several IEMs I've only read about here on the forums.The Andromeda was amazing as was the Noble Savanna and Lyra II. The Primacy (not new) was a bit of a disappointment, and I realized the Oriolus Forsteni was not for me.

Fast forward to last Sunday's visit armed with the Opus loaded up with music. Now I must give a caveat, I am happy with the Icarus III for general listening, I was looking for an IEM specifically to pair with live Grateful Dead shows, so I based everything on quality audience, matrix and soundboard shows from several distinct eras 1968, 1974, 1977,1985 and 1990.

Gotta say that the Icarus III with gold dampened and the comply tips held its own among the giants of the genre FOR THIS SPECIFIC PURPOSE.

I enjoyed the Jupiter the most out of the Campfire series. The Orion sounded "fuzzy" and I didn't find the Lyra as enchanting as before. The Noble Savanna sounded a bit weak and thin somehow. Didn't get a proper seal? Very strange as they stood out so much with the iPod Classic combo. The 64 Audio U3 was easy to drive and stayed so true to the recording. Soooooo niiiiice! I've been listening to these shows for years and know them like my family, 64 Audio was definitely up for a reunion. Me likee!!. The U8 was even smoother. To me, these IEMs had a perfect balance, effortless. That was it, I was afraid to go too far up the chain because my wife's flower pot would not allow such expensive visitors! 64 Audio makes some great stuff! Ahhh....someday.......

I will say that I also based my findings on how much of a pain in the ass it is to actually get the IEM on and ready for action. Memory wire detracted from this simple endeavor, hence minus points. I'm the type that wants to throw on the music and not have to worry too much about fiddling around looking for that elusive perfect fit.

I preferred the Icarus III over Periodic Audio Be, (Mg not even in the conversation), the Pinnacle P1, all the "flavor of the day" Chi-fi stuff TFZ etc as they invariably just sounded weak, 1 more triple and quad, the Sony XBA and the AKG N40. The LZA4 was nice, I really wished they had The Big Dipper there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Ocharaku Flat 4 series for ease of use and fit. The Akazakura was really nice but damn, once you get into Keyaki territory you find yourself transported to a lovely Japanese immersion garden of sound. Nice detail, light and easy to wear, bonus points right there, but again out of my budget. I would like to have a longer sit down with this series in particular. Much like many things Japanese, it takes time to really appreciate the craftsmanship and detail put into the product.

There was a Japanese brand IEM called the AZLA Meteor Gray for around $450 that sounded real nice. Interesting, because the IEM that I wanted to buy after my listening adventure, but was out of stock was the Dynamic Motion DM 200H. Apparently AZLA uses a Dynamic Motion BA in their IEM. I guess I have found the sound that is right for me for this particular listening purpose at this time. I ended up going home empty, save for some JVC Spiral dots.

Please don't grill me about "which is better", this is based on short testing periods for a specific purpose. I thought it might be nice to share info for those inclined towards guitar-based live recordings.

All in all I had a great time, and was happy to be able to test out so many great IEMs for a few hours. And the service, there is nothing like a Japanese woman bringing out Andromedas, Lyras and other swanky IEMs on a black velvet covered tray to your table like a high-end audio buffet telling you to take your time. It was audio heaven. Kudos to the staff and the great selection and patience there. If you have a chance, go upstairs and check out the used stuff. The gear is locked behind glass but if the store is rather empty they are glad to oblige serious customers.

On a side note, does anyone else with a Opus 1 and Icarus III find that they are sounding best in the red volume range? I think that is what set apart the Campfire and 64 Audio line, they sounded better even at lower volumes, no need to drive them so hard.

I encountered a blissful audio nirvana on the ferry on the way back, Jane's Addiction "Then She Did" with the gold dampened and Comply tips. I got so lost in the music that I no longer cared about mids highs bass or soundstage. IMHO Bob did a great job with these IEMs. YMMV.

Cheers for reading. Hope someone finds useful points amongst the drivel.
@playininjapan I use the Opus1 with Andromeda and find that you can listen on the lower gain setting and go up into the red and get a great level. Thebit recommends that you use your lowest gain and go where you need on the volume. I listen to a lot of Dead from not so great mp3 up to their hi rez 24-96, 24-192 which their are plenty. Love the audience recordings from 10/15-16/81 Netherlands, i'm sure you have heard them. Small intimate with background conversations but amazing! Was listening to Closing of Winterland last night with Sony MDR ex 1000, what a phenomenal recording and a great IEM. Got side tracked, enjoy.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,535 of 36,382

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back