The Audio Lounge
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #22,906 of 36,204
I've been so board couped up in the house! To make life more imteresting, I'm putting together a Self-built NAS / Media Server. I'm using unRAID for the OS. It's a cool setup. I moved my Roon server over to the unRAID server and I'm working on setting up a Windows VM for a few other media players. My goal is to take all of my music off my local pc and stream it off this server and play music to a Roon endpoint via Ropieee. Takes my pc with the ground loop issues out of the equation. It has made a huge difference in sound quality so far.

In the IT industry we call this a hyperconverged server. NAS/SAN, VMs, Backups, Containerized applications. It's a really useful OS for home. I've seen a few companies offer this in a full stack offering but I would never use it in a production environment. To many eggs in one basket. It would be great for developers.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #22,907 of 36,204
I've been so board couped up in the house! To make life more imteresting, I'm putting together a Self-built NAS / Media Server. I'm using unRAID for the OS. It's a cool setup. I moved my Roon server over to the unRAID server and I'm working on setting up a Windows VM for a few other media players. My goal is to take all of my music off my local pc and stream it off this server and play music to a Roon endpoint via Ropieee. Takes my pc with the ground loop issues out of the equation. It has made a huge difference in sound quality so far.

In the IT industry we call this a hyperconverged server. NAS/SAN, VMs, Backups, Containerized applications. It's a really useful OS for home. I've seen a few companies offer this in a full stack offering but I would never use it in a production environment. To many eggs in one basket. It would be great for developers.

How modern does the H/W need to be, to run unRAID?
I've got a partially assembled "server", with an old AMD Socket 939 CPU in it.
Was planning to install one of the Linux server distributions.
=====
What I'd really like to do, but don't have the ~$3,000+ for it - is to assemble an AMD Epyc (16-Core) workstation as my main PC (to run Linux and VMs), and move my current Intel Core i7-3930K system to being a NAS / Media Server.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #22,908 of 36,204

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #22,909 of 36,204
How modern does the H/W need to be, to run unRAID?
I've got a partially assembled "server", with an old AMD Socket 939 CPU in it.
Was planning to install one of the Linux server distributions.
=====
What I'd really like to do, but don't have the ~$3,000+ for it - is to assemble an AMD Epyc (16-Core) workstation as my main PC (to run Linux and VMs), and move my current Intel Core i7-3930K system to being a NAS / Media Server.
Yes it should work well. If you do DSD on Roon w/ DSP, Roon will crap out though. The more cores and RAM the better if you want to run VMs and Docker Apps. I'm currently using a socket AM3 motherboard with a Phenom II X4 965 and everthing works like a charm except DSD on Roon. I'm going to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 2700X so this doesn't happen.

unRAID is based on BSD so very stable and should work on your hardware. Go download the USB creator and give it a trial on your hardware and see if it does what you want. It's really slick.

https://unraid.net/

1585686646711.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #22,910 of 36,204

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #22,912 of 36,204
Im getting abstract in my isolation.

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #22,916 of 36,204

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #22,917 of 36,204

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #22,918 of 36,204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back