The Audio Lounge
Aug 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,146 of 36,382
Mind you for a few dollars you could get them a much better sounding earbud

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,147 of 36,382
Not really an iem but it does sound rather good:

IMG_20170824_214052.jpg

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #2,148 of 36,382
I have just recieved my Yamaha 1976 ish planars.

Model hp3 ....and i have to say wow! I didn't expect them to be much paying £17 but they are significantly better than i could of hoped ....you can hear they are planar straight away , notes are clean and defined and from listening to these and other planars and what I have read the technology clearly hasn't changed much! although I haven't ever experienced truly high end planar, audeze etc.
They are about the size of portable, lack a little bass and vocals can be slightly grainy but I'm talking minimal, I have though heard stuff ( breath) on tracks that I haven't even noticed on other planars, they are pretty balanced on the whole and dare I say there's a sort of soundstage at times which planars can lack I think. honestly if a lot of you guys lived closer I would ship just for you to listen, especially if you like planars.
At this cost i am definitely keeping and using . I have a pair of audiotechnica coming that are supposed to be better too.
Looks like they could use some new pads soon if you can figure out a way to fix them, but otherwise, looks like it's in pretty good shape. Have fun with them!

Yikes. I had my iDSD micro on my desk at lunch.
Someone came in and asked if he could listen. He plugged his apple earbuds into 6.3 adapter in HP slot.

He was like "why do you have the volume so low? Are you like a bat?"

Oh its because of my sensitive earp---wait don't turn it up all the way!!!

He turned dial past 3 oclock. But I didnt get to read ifi instructions to him to do 9 o clock first.
The entire apple iem earbud...the entire speaker blew out with cables hanging out.

He's saying it was my device's fault and I should get him new apple earbuds :/

Im not though....
Yeah, how about NO. He wanted to listen for a difference with Apple earpods, didn't bother to listen to any instructions and caused the breaking of his own earbuds and wants YOU to pay for them? Not happening. IDIOT

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,149 of 36,382
Looks like they could use some new pads soon if you can figure out a way to fix them, but otherwise, looks like it's in pretty good shape. Have fun with them

Cheers....and your right but glued on..... not certain I want to risk gluing then changing the sound sig as I'm pretty pleased on the sound.
But I will have a look at pads and possibility.

I know from modding my fostex pads it can either make them worse or better so reluctant to glue.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,150 of 36,382
Cheers....and your right but glued on..... not certain I want to risk gluing then changing the sound sig as I'm pretty pleased on the sound.
But I will have a look at pads and possibility.

I know from modding my fostex pads it can either make them worse or better so reluctant to glue.
Maybe there's some way you could refinish or fix up what's there already without having to take them off? Oh! You could try some tape and just putting on extra layers of foam rings on the outside and seeing if the extra thickness does anything to throw off the sound. If not, then similar pads even if they're thicker could be fine replacements after carefully taking off the old ones.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,151 of 36,382
Maybe there's some way you could refinish or fix up what's there already without having to take them off? Oh! You could try some tape and just putting on extra layers of foam rings on the outside and seeing if the extra thickness does anything to throw off the sound. If not, then similar pads even if they're thicker could be fine replacements after carefully taking off the old ones.

The tape thing is a good idea as I would like to try before glue ...i have also thought if i could stretch new over old then it would just thicken and recover ...il do some looking at portable size pads.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,152 of 36,382
The tape thing is a good idea as I would like to try before glue ...i have also thought if i could stretch new over old then it would just thicken and recover ...il do some looking at portable size pads.
Yeah, would be a good idea. Cuz with headphones, doesn't matter how old they are, if they've been taken good care of, the only thing you ever really need to worry about are the condition of the pads.

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #2,153 of 36,382
Yeah, would be a good idea. Cuz with headphones, doesn't matter how old they are, if they've been taken good care of, the only thing you ever really need to worry about are the condition of the pads.
Kenyon Ripstop Repair Tape, Tenacious Tape by McNett, and PSP Spinnaker Repair Tape are fabric repair tapes that might have more flex than heavier "duct" tapes ?

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,154 of 36,382
I have just recieved my Yamaha 1976 ish planars.

Model hp3 ....and i have to say wow! I didn't expect them to be much paying £17 but they are significantly better than i could of hoped ....you can hear they are planar straight away , notes are clean and defined and from listening to these and other planars and what I have read the technology clearly hasn't changed much! although I haven't ever experienced truly high end planar, audeze etc.
They are about the size of portable, lack a little bass and vocals can be slightly grainy but I'm talking minimal, I have though heard stuff ( breath) on tracks that I haven't even noticed on other planars, they are pretty balanced on the whole and dare I say there's a sort of soundstage at times which planars can lack I think. honestly if a lot of you guys lived closer I would ship just for you to listen, especially if you like planars.
At this cost i am definitely keeping and using . I have a pair of audiotechnica coming that are supposed to be better too.
Mine were different looking. They had a solid headband with the soft hammock style material to sit on the head. Like some of the AKG. I need to look for those Yamaha.

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,155 of 36,382
Oriveti Basic perhaps? Single 10mm titanium-coated dynamic driver. Though I've read it can be bit of a warm sound sig, not sure what you're going for. And it's a very reasonable price at $100

You can change the sound of tube amps with a variety of different tubes, but then there's the fact that with tube-rolling, you're gonna have a lotta tubes hanging around!

Haha that's true, I actually did a ton of research before I bought another pair of tubes, and it turned out to be a good purchase. Fits the description people were giving and it shines with the HD600.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,158 of 36,382
According to the Trinity blog, their future products consist of a redesigned Vyrus 2, a combination of the Icarus III/IV, and the Hunter X. And the Icarus I and II. Everything else is history.

Oh, and they blamed their customers for not understanding the pre-order system, causing customer service issues and hurting Trinity's reputation. I went off in the Trinity thread, they'll never get another dollar of mine on principal.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,159 of 36,382
Oh, and they blamed their customers for not understanding the pre-order system, causing customer service issues and hurting Trinity's reputation. I went off in the Trinity thread, they'll never get another dollar of mine on principal.
Me too. I was seriously considering buying the Icarus III but not now.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,160 of 36,382
Just want to get my PM6 and close books with this company. Enough is enough, tired of this charade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back