The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 15, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #7,036 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can't answer you fully, because for that I would have to take it apart (again). I did have to put a Schuko plug on it myself (I ordered them without plugs) and that was quite challenge because the wires used are really very rigid and thick. It consists of 1 ground wire (simple speaker cable) and two wires for both 'poles' (so that's 5 wires in total). Of those last 4 wires, two are twisted and two aren't (I believe, can't tell you which ones though). They're stranded and quite a large gauge (maybe someone else has actually measured it and can chime in). The whole comes in a techflex sleeve with connectors that look the spitting image of Oyaide connectors (Chinese copy?). That's about all.

Thanks Dro! I'm guessing the hot is twisted and the neutrals are not. 1 pair each for hot and neutral. 6 gauge perhaps for a total of 12 each (unless it is garden hose size). Seems like a very good value at that price.

May 15, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #7,037 of 7,725
Ok, so I have been enjoying my Compass for a while now, but have only had it hooked up via USB so far because my computer doesn't have a coax or optical option for me to use. So what do I need to buy to make this happen (I really don't know anything about computers so I don't even know what I'm looking for, let alone quality of this over that).

Also, if there happens to be someone who knows what is the best place to get it from, that would be a great bonus.

Thanks,
Andrew

May 15, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #7,038 of 7,725
Should I be worried... my tracking on DHL says "1.1lb GENERAL COMMODITY WPXPOWER CABLE". I ordered a compass with moon and did not buy the upgraded power cable. 1.1lb seems a little light. Also I don't see my name on the consignment page.

May 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #7,039 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok now can somebody help me with my humming issues please?

I have the compass connected to my power amp and its humming. It sounds like a ground loop hum. I have tried allsorts but cant fix it.

Kingwa has suggested that its the cables but that hasnt solved it either. My amp does not hum with another cd player connected to it.

thanks.

What make/model receiver are you using? I had horrible ground loop issues with my ps3 and the home theater receiver that we used to have. But now we have no issues. Also, are the two devices plugged into a shared power strip? You should try connecting them together using two different power outlets, maybe from different rooms. Then move it closer and closer and find out at what stage the hum returns.

May 15, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #7,040 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by MysteryMachine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I be worried... my tracking on DHL says "1.1lb GENERAL COMMODITY WPXPOWER CABLE". I ordered a compass with moon and did not buy the upgraded power cable. 1.1lb seems a little light. Also I don't see my name on the consignment page.

No you don't have to worry, mine weighed "1.1" lbs too. And so has everyone else's. And it doesn't weigh 1.1 lbs if that was another issue.

May 15, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #7,041 of 7,725
Quote:

ok now can somebody help me with my humming issues please?

I have the compass connected to my power amp and its humming. It sounds like a ground loop hum. I have tried allsorts but cant fix it.

Kingwa has suggested that its the cables but that hasnt solved it either. My amp does not hum with another cd player connected to it.

thanks.

Since you don't get the hum noise through headphones (as you reported to Kingwa), it means the problem is not with the Compass Preamp as it shares the same board, where a relay changes the output.

Have you tried disconnecting all inputs to Compass and just connecting the Compass to the amp? do you still have the hum noise?..

May 15, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #7,042 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me how good is the amp part of the Compass, especially compare to those standalone amps in the $200-$400 range, e.g Darkvoice 332se or Head-direct EF1?

Going by Skylab's and other reviews: The C2C, KICAS and EF1 are all on about the same level, but different-sounding. IIRC Skylab mentioned that the C2C is better than the DV 3322. I do know that the C2C is better than the headamp in the Compass from my own experience. So, that lays it out for you, roughly.

May 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #7,043 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me how good is the amp part of the Compass, especially compare to those standalone amps in the $200-$400 range, e.g Darkvoice 332se or Head-direct EF1?

I'm currently build a entry pc-fi system. There are so many choices: sound card digital output-->standalone dac-->standalone amp; a good usb sound card such as EMU 0404 USB-->standalone amp; a one for all solution such as the Compass.

If the amp part of the Compass is comparable to those in the $200-$400 range, I'd prefer the Compass.

Part II:
I guess I can ask my question in a different way. Suppose I have the Compass, will a standalone amp below $400 make it even better? What kind of improvements will I see?

Does anyone has an idea? Thank you in advance.

Did you read this direct comparison to the EF-1?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5564630-post4782.html

May 15, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #7,044 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try connecting them together using two different power outlets, maybe from different rooms. Then move it closer and closer and find out at what stage the hum returns.

But I have tried disconnecting the earth to the dac at the mains and this didnt work? so how would that help?

what about if i connect the dac chassis and amp together? can this cause harm?

May 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #7,045 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you don't get the hum noise through headphones (as you reported to Kingwa), it means the problem is not with the Compass Preamp as it shares the same board, where a relay changes the output.

Have you tried disconnecting all inputs to Compass and just connecting the Compass to the amp? do you still have the hum noise?..

i dont get noise with headphones but thats not surprising because the only thing connected to mains is the dac and the input to it is optical so ground loops cant happen.

Its when I connect the amp that i get noise.

I have disconnected all inputs but this doesnt change anything.

May 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #7,046 of 7,725
I bought the compass yesterday, they said they would ship it to me in 2 weeks.
biggrin.gif

I am just curious, for now I am using the compass with my active speakers (a2 soon to be a5). I will buy a hd 650 later. What does preamp do?

May 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #7,047 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the compass yesterday, they said they would ship it to me in 2 weeks.
biggrin.gif

I am just curious, for now I am using the compass with my active speakers (a2 soon to be a5). I will buy a hd 650 later. What does preamp do?

it just lets you control the volume of the rca output so you can connect it to a power amp.

May 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #7,048 of 7,725
Quote:

But I have tried disconnecting the earth to the dac at the mains and this didnt work? so how would that help?

what about if i connect the dac chassis and amp together? can this cause harm?

Well, I would imagine that the power outlet thing would help, because with more wire between them, there would be less interference (more stabilizing mass) caused by one another. That was just an idea.

Connecting the two chassis together might work, I'd wait for a response from a more knowledgeable (electricity-wise) person.

May 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #7,049 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by druelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering purchasing a Compass solely for the DAC (receiving from an optical or USB source) and connecting it to a Darkvoice 336i amp via RCAs. Since I won't be using the amplifier portion of the Compass at all, do you all think it's still worth it for the DAC portion or are there better options available for a pass-thru DAC with optical and USB inputs and RCA outputs?

How about the Audio GD DAC19-MK3? That should be a big step up from the DAC section of the Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back