The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #6,901 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if your seller bought any other OPAs with his Compass. However, the Compass is compatible with two other OPAs, the Moon and the Sun V2.

Not to mention countless other "traditional style" or "chip" opamps (non-HDAM/transistor).

May 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6,903 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention countless other "traditional style" or "chip" opamps (non-HDAM/transistor).

Of course, but it seems most people who have tried other non-HDAM chips tend to prefer the HDAMs by a fair amount.

On my second day of Compass listening, I've put about another 15 hours on it on soft-2 with the Earth. The Compass sounded quite muddy with my Sextetts before I went to sleep, but that might just be how the Sextetts sound to me after listening to K500 for so long. However, right now the sound is as bright on soft-2 as it was on neutral with the Earth yesterday. The changes in sound during Compass burn-in is pretty wild. I can't wait to hear what other changes occur to the sound over the next 330 hours or so. I also can't wait to hear it with some Lambdas.
evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #6,904 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to further clarify, I can plug either the 110V or the 220V cable into the same unit and both will work?

Thanks.

No, I don't think so. I believe that Kingwa makes changes to the power supply section to make it work with 110 or 220. There is no dual/adjustable voltage supply Compass. This was discussed somewhere a few hunded pages ago...
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6,905 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, but it seems most people who have tried other non-HDAM chips tend to prefer the HDAMs by a fair amount.

No doubt, and that includes me, but it's still fun to opamp roll
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #6,906 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to further clarify, I can plug either the 110V or the 220V cable into the same unit and both will work?

Thanks.

Actually there is no specific 110V or 220V cable, they are all for general purpose with different kind of plugs. But you have to choose a 110V or 220V Compass. I quote from the Compass homepage:

"Compass will come in 100-120V version and 220-240 versions, depending on the geographical location and customer’s choice. The reason we don't make selectable voltage, 1, we are afraid if customers choose the wrong voltage, it will burn the gear. 2, in low quality gear, you can't hear the sound effect with or without selectable switch, but in hi-quality gear, you can hear the difference not only with power selectable switch, but even with power cable."

May 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #6,907 of 7,725
Hey head-fiers,

I got my Compass on Monday. It took 18 days from order to delivery. It was opened and repacked by the Korean customs but all was clean and fine. What's funny is that there was no customs tax this time, while last time when I ordered my Nuforce Icon, which is much smaller than Compass, I paid 10% tax.

I began to burn it in, continuously comparing it with my current reference setup, which is MacPro>optical>Carat Ruby>silver RCA>Nuforce Icon>K701. As for now, the Compass is still a little more muffled and less detailed than the reference. My HDAM is earth and I use the neutral setting. High, mid, low all is less resolving. Vocal sounds a little more vague. But I can hear it changing even after a couple of hours. I hope the Compass will eventually outdo the reference.

I will post when there is a significant change in sound or when it excels the Ruby&Icon combo.

May 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #6,908 of 7,725
Hey head-fiers,

I got my Compass on Monday. It took 18 days from order to delivery. It was opened and repacked by the Korean customs but all was clean and fine. What's funny is that there was no customs tax this time, while last time when I ordered my Nuforce Icon, which is much smaller than Compass, I paid 10% tax.

I began to burn it in, continuously comparing it with my current reference setup, which is MacPro>optical>Carat Ruby>silver RCA>Nuforce Icon>K701. As for now, the Compass is still a little more muffled and less detailed than the reference. My HDAM is earth and I use the neutral setting. High, mid, low all is less resolving. Vocal sounds a little more vague. But I can hear it changing even after a couple of hours. I hope the Compass will eventually outdo the reference.

I will post when there is a significant change in sound or when it excels the Ruby&Icon combo.

May 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #6,910 of 7,725
At least about 180 -- 200 hours (+16 -- 20 hours for amp) combined burn-in, listening and playing behind with soft-2 and Earth. Could have lot more of course, but I decided to do burn-in mostly during day only. I don't know if the other settings would be better for my headphones and mind, but at first I want to do burn-in with Earth and soft-2 and not play with the jumpers and HDAM's at this point.

Not sure if it's that my wooden ears can actually hear any difference or it's just my mind, but somehow the sound is less tiring than it was at the start. During less than 50 -- 100 hours of combined use I couldn't always listen to for long sessions, as there was something in the sound that made listening bit tiring. Now that feeling is basically gone and I think I can also hear bit more nuances, mostly on lossless songs, that weren't there at first time when I used Compass. It feels like sound is slightly more... accurate and natural now. Especially low-end bass and highs sounds clearer, IMO.

Also discovered the difference within ASIO4ALL and Directsound can be very noticeable: I played Planescape: Torment during last week and later listened to it's soundtrack again. I was almost blown away again - a lot wider soundstage and details where just incredible. It didn't feel same at all and I wondered if the soundtrack in the game has been actually resampled and processed totally downwards.

I'm also very happy that even my headphones, only moderate Sennheiser HD 595, got a such huge boost in sound quality, way bigger than I'd have expected from it's reviews and comments from forums. I've tried and used 595 with Compass amp only to test if the improvement would have come from only DAC or both DAC and Amp, and so compared the sound to the output of PC, TV and PSP - and the increase in detail, soundstage and boost in low-end and highs is still easily noticeable when only amp is used. I guess that I will use these headphones for a bit longer time than I originally thought... and that I have to finally accept the fact that even somewhat cheaper headphones may benefit a lot from dedicated amp and external DAC. Seems to be overally very good gear for a student and for those whose budget is limited.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, no device is perfect, so few small "cons" to mention:

- Every time you open it, the smell conquers the small room easily.
tongue.gif

- Gain limits the usable volume range for efficient and low impedance headphones fiercely. The largest volume level for constant listening for me is just slightly above the point when the channel imbalance and such fades totally, about 7:00 - 7:30. However, it seems that now slightly bigger levels can be used due to burn-in...
- It gets hot. Don't have a thermometer nearby, but I guess it's around 40 - 60 degree Celsius. Together with PC it heats the small room very nicely.

May 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #6,913 of 7,725
I do not think anyone has made a comparison of the Compass to the Heed Canamp.
Would someone comment considering the use of AKG K701?
If the amplifier is only used for cd playback, would Audio gd C-2C be a better choice than the Compass?
TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back