The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 12, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #6,916 of 7,725
MY QUESTION IS! Why wouldn't he buy in a Wolfson 8740 when it cost's $8 and isn't it better? Than some older AD chip? How hard would it be to pop in the best dac chip you can buy? For a meager $20 tops? Thanks

May 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #6,917 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MY QUESTION IS! Why wouldn't he buy in a Wolfson 8740 when it cost's $8 and isn't it better? Than some older AD chip? How hard would it be to pop in the best dac chip you can buy? For a meager $20 tops? Thanks

Email him and ask him. Maybe new isn't necessarily better or maybe he hasn't tried the Wolfson.

May 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #6,918 of 7,725
What I would like to know is what are the official specifications on this unit?

Its all very well having reviews but they are all subjective and will vary from one person to another.

I would like to know basic specs such as output impedance, frequency response (to make sure it is flat and theres no cheating) distortion etc.

May 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #6,919 of 7,725
Your best bet is to email Kingwa and ask him.

Some further listening supports my observations from this morning. The sound of the Compass is definitely brighter and more fatiguing today than yesterday. I actually have stopped listening for the moment due to fatigue. Also, it seems as if the amp is more powerful today than yesterday. Yesterday, I was listening at about 8 o'clock while today I'm listening at about 7 o'clock. It's a possibility that due to increased brightness today that I had to turn it down because I'm rather sensitive to high frequencies.

May 12, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #6,923 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its all very well having reviews but they are all subjective and will vary from one person to another.

I would like to know basic specs such as output impedance, frequency response (to make sure it is flat and theres no cheating) distortion etc.

This is starting to stink A LOT like Andrea.....( granted it's a break from his usual MO )

Then again I could be wrong...but my gut is telling me Andrea.

Peete.

May 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #6,924 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your best bet is to email Kingwa and ask him.

Some further listening supports my observations from this morning. The sound of the Compass is definitely brighter and more fatiguing today than yesterday. I actually have stopped listening for the moment due to fatigue. Also, it seems as if the amp is more powerful today than yesterday. Yesterday, I was listening at about 8 o'clock while today I'm listening at about 7 o'clock. It's a possibility that due to increased brightness today that I had to turn it down because I'm rather sensitive to high frequencies.

The thing is not to blame the compass for changes in sound. There are so many factors at play that its not possible to pin it down to one thing.

For example try listening to your reference system daily for 2 weeks then stop listening for 2 weeks. When you come back to it, it should sound very different for a few hours or so until it sounds 'the same' again.

I believe this is the effect of audio memory at play.

May 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #6,925 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is starting to stink A LOT like Andrea.....( granted it's a break from his usual MO )

Then again I could be wrong...but my gut is telling me Andrea.

Peete.

I think you accused me of that a while ago when i first joined up then you apologised.

May 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #6,926 of 7,725
Quote:

I think you accused me of that a while ago when i first joined up then you apologised.

Well if that is so I take it back Andrea...

Get a life.

Peete.

May 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #6,927 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not even $8, it's much lower than that.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...ml#post5591797

I'm very interested with this Compass, I'll probably pick one soon.

May 13, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #6,929 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhirc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least about 180 -- 200 hours (+16 -- 20 hours for amp)
Not sure if it's that my wooden ears can actually hear any difference or it's just my mind, but somehow the sound is less tiring than it was at the start. .

Exactly. It was already less tiring for me from the word go compared to my previous setup of Bithead>D2000 and now its improving with burn-in.

Since my D2000 also is pretty new, I think I am also seeing the effect of headphone burn-in..so not really able to distinguish which is due to what. I used to hear this slight distortion especially in high pitched female vocals at the edge of the notes(with compass/bithead), now I am not hearing it. Thought it was due to Compass burn-in..but when I went back to the Bithead-setup couldn't hear it..couldn't hear it even when I plugged it directly to the laptop!

May 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #6,930 of 7,725
Quote:

This is an 'audiophile' product pete. You don't get to see specifications.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back