The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #6,886 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa sent me an email saying that they mixed up my order with somebody in ND. grrr...I guess i'm gonna have to ship it to that person somehow. No idea what's gonna happen at this point

Let us know what happens. My bet is on Kingwa reimbursing both of you to ship your Compasses to each other.

This situation reminds me of when I'd get a customer at work who, no matter what we did to sort out his issues with a machine, would end up having more. I'd say to them, "I'm sorry, you're what I call a cursed customer. Unlike the majority of customers, you're just getting all the bad luck." You seem to be the unluckiest customer so far.

May 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #6,887 of 7,725
I think i've decided to just keep it. Just too much hassle during finals time and then I won't be in my apartment until the last week of may. Then i'll be out of town from june to july...yeah...damn. Sometimes talking to him is very frustrating. makes me want to fly over there and just speak cantonese to him. Hopefully the person in ND isn't too upset about my configuration i wanted. After thinking about it, i'm not sure why i wanted all the outputs to output at the same time. I guess that is what happens when you have to wait 2 months for your product, you don't even know why you ordered it.

May 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #6,888 of 7,725
Quote:

I think i've decided to just keep it. Just too much hassle during finals time and then I won't be in my apartment until the last week of may. Then i'll be out of town from june to july...yeah...damn. Sometimes talking to him is very frustrating. makes me want to fly over there and just speak cantonese to him. Hopefully the person in ND isn't too upset about my configuration i wanted. After thinking about it, i'm not sure why i wanted all the outputs to output at the same time. I guess that is what happens when you have to wait 2 months for your product, you don't even know why you ordered it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles....again. You definitely have had the worst luck being a bagger and now this. FWIW, the standard Compass is so versatile that I'm sure you'll find out how to use the standard config the way you need to. Just yesterday, I had my OMZ DAC that I'm trying to sell hooked up to the Compass and using the SUPER button, was able to compare the OMZ and the Compass DAC while using the Compass HP Amp.

Oh, and the Compass DAC is very close to the OMZ DAC. The Compass is a touch grainier than the OMZ, but I'm thinking the Compass will smooth out with burn-in.

May 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #6,889 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For mine i am using the ploytec driver also

and all my stuff have sound from windows media classic to firefox to foobar to even games
wink_face.gif

but i am using win xp

I am interested in an ASIO driver that does not disable other windows sound. I went to Ploytec GmbH . check out the Delay Meter and selected the "USB ASIO driver for Windows" and this took me to USB 2 Audio - the low latency experience. Did you get your ASIO driver from www.usg-audio.com?

May 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #6,890 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bschray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in an ASIO driver that does not disable other windows sound. I went to Ploytec GmbH . check out the Delay Meter and selected the "USB ASIO driver for Windows" and this took me to USB 2 Audio - the low latency experience. Did you get your ASIO driver from www.usg-audio.com?

yes..i got it from
USB 2 Audio - the low latency experience
but i uses the beta driver for Win XP/Vista32
http://www.usb-audio.com/usb_asio_vista_beta.zip
no issue with playing video, games, youtube etc
i am using xp btw

u can always try the trial version and see whether it will disable other windows sound or not

May 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #6,891 of 7,725
Quote:

no issue with playing video, games, youtube etc
i am using xp btw

I still wonder how you managed to do that. I use XP x64, but I can only get the Ploytec ASIO to work with ASIO-capable software. (As I would expect from an ASIO-USB driver.)

May 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #6,892 of 7,725
Silly question which is probably in this thread. I searched a bit and found lots of info but no answer: In the faq it says the power supply is switchable, but you have specify a voltage when ordering. Is the voltage specification just for the cable? Can I order both a 110 and a 220 cable? I would really like both.

May 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #6,893 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still wonder how you managed to do that. I use XP x64, but I can only get the Ploytec ASIO to work with ASIO-capable software. (As I would expect from an ASIO-USB driver.)

puzzled me also

maybe is because i disabled the onboard soundcard from the bios
abcw.jpg

therefore the program do not have any other place to point to except the usb driver
L3000.gif

or maybe you can try reinstalling or something

May 12, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #6,894 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silly question which is probably in this thread. I searched a bit and found lots of info but no answer: In the faq it says the power supply is switchable, but you have specify a voltage when ordering. Is the voltage specification just for the cable? Can I order both a 110 and a 220 cable? I would really like both.

There is no switch AFAIK. You choose 110 or 220V while ordering. But you can order any cable (plug-type) you need, as it is voltage-independent.

May 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #6,895 of 7,725
Quote:

puzzled me also

maybe is because i disabled the onboard soundcard from the bios

therefore the program do not have any other place to point to except the usb driver
L3000.gif

or maybe you can try reinstalling or something

Ha, that's interesting, thanks. I could try that, I guess. I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: No, it doesn't work for me. It's okay, I can live without HiFi sound from Youtube.
regular_smile .gif
(It would have been nice for games though.)

May 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #6,896 of 7,725
Quote:

Ha, that's interesting, thanks. I could try that, I guess. I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: No, it doesn't work for me. It's okay, I can live without HiFi sound from Youtube.
regular_smile .gif

i guess you can contact polytec for support
Support for the USB ASIO driver

redface.gif

May 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #6,897 of 7,725
Quote:

regular_smile .gif

Doesnt work in my setup either..
frown.gif

Btw, seems like from 1st June, the Compass promotional price will be over and the new price is fixed at USD330 ! Still a very good price for Compass IMHO..

May 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #6,898 of 7,725
Hey guys What Jumper settings or any other info i should do to the compass to get the best sound?

Also, Since i have an OPA earth, does it contain any other op amps? or just the OPA earth in the compass?

May 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #6,899 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by op2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no switch AFAIK. You choose 110 or 220V while ordering. But you can order any cable (plug-type) you need, as it is voltage-independent.

So to further clarify, I can plug either the 110V or the 220V cable into the same unit and both will work?

Thanks.

May 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6,900 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys What Jumper settings or any other info i should do to the compass to get the best sound?

Also, Since i have an OPA earth, does it contain any other op amps? or just the OPA earth in the compass?

You should really play around with it to find the sound you prefer. So far, I've only listened to the Earth on neutral before setting it to soft-2 to burn-in. I vastly prefer the sound on neutral than on soft-2.

I'm not sure if your seller bought any other OPAs with his Compass. However, the Compass is compatible with two other OPAs, the Moon and the Sun V2.

Quote:

Kingwa sent me an email saying that they mixed up my order with somebody in ND. grrr...I guess i'm gonna have to ship it to that person somehow. No idea what's gonna happen at this point

I definitely feel for you. I'd probably go insane after going through what you did. I hope you enjoy your Compass now that you have it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back