The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #5,116 of 7,725
Wally, thanks for the pics again, nice to see the first pictures from an owner of the final version.

I'd suggest taking the lid off and seeing if you can wash that streaking off with a damn cloth or something. I really wouldn't expect Audio-gd to send something out with an obvious finish defect like that.

Take a pic of the underside of the lid as well, I'm curious to see it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #5,118 of 7,725
Mine was fast, but they had the address all wrong.
1. Sent to wrong City
2. Had the house number wrong
3. Milsspelled the street name

Thankfully I got all that ironed out and the delivery guy is meeting me at my house when I get off work!

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #5,119 of 7,725
It is noon in Boston and my Compass has been safely delivered to me.
Shipped on Mon and here by noon on Wed. That's fast.
Looks like customs did open it as I see "Security Checked" tape around the package.
I did not have to pay any customs/import fee on the unit.
I'll open in shortly.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #5,120 of 7,725
Strange, I live in Vancouver Canada, but my compass got routed through Wilmington, OH. It's now within city limits, but I see a nice "Clearance delay". Damn you customs, Damn you!! I hope the new owners of a compass are enjoying the music!

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #5,121 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've put all the impressions and comparisons I've seen people write in the FAQ as I come across them. (The link in my signature for it is broken at the moment as somehow the SEO software got disabled on the Head-fi blog system.) There isn't one with the 340a at the moment.

Yes i know, i check your blog quite often, but be assure to a have a mini review from myself when i receive mine.
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #5,122 of 7,725
I guess I could not wait to open it.
Looks great.
New back panel is super clean.
The input selector knob is still on a 4 click pot (no big deal).
Delivered with the proper power cord for USA use.
I also had a streak on the top lid but it wiped off with a cloth and a dab of water.

Some photos from my end:

3423641803_ed0fd43487_o.jpg

3423641873_a2b3b6ee4b_o.jpg

3423641897_436e91332d_o.jpg

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #5,124 of 7,725
A question for the the pro's on the Compass.
My chain is as follows Apple Lossless>iTunes>iMac>USB>Compass

Now, the file I am listening to at the moment is 96kHz/24bit.

I was told that the Compass only supported up to 44/16 but this looks to not be the case?

BTW: it's a rip from a dubstep record I have and the sub bass is intense in Neutral mode on a pair of HD595's.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5,125 of 7,725
I have a question about the jumpers. When you take off the lid the jumpers are shown going from left to right while on the board they run up and down. If I have the compass in front of me like the diagram under the lid shows, is the correct neutral setting to have the jumpers on the left pins? I'll take a pic if this doesn't make sense.

Other than that I am very pleased with the finished product. My Compass did have the streak on the top of the case also. My only nit pick is that the usb connector on the back wiggles while all of the other connectors are sturdy.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #5,127 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about the jumpers. When you take off the lid the jumpers are shown going from left to right while on the board they run up and down. If I have the compass in front of me like the diagram under the lid shows, is the correct neutral setting to have the jumpers on the left pins? I'll take a pic if this doesn't make sense.

Other than that I am very pleased with the finished product. My Compass did have the streak on the top of the case also. My only nit pick is that the usb connector on the back wiggles while all of the other connectors are sturdy.

I believe (and hope!) that the diagram under the lid is correct. If you line the front of the lid up with the front of the Compass and place it down beside it the diagram should show where on the amp board the jumpers are and my understanding is that the jumpers are oriented such that their longer dimension is in line with the longer dimension of the Compass, which is why the diagram shows that.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #5,129 of 7,725
Under the lid the jumpers are horizontal. On the board they are vertical.

The pic that was just posted is also a little misleading. The chart shows jumpers 1 and 2 being next to each other but on the board they are on top and bottom of each other.

I now notice that the jumpers are numbered on the circuit board itself. Therefore, if you are looking at the compass as the diagram under the lid shows, jumper 1 is on the right and jumper 2 is on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back