The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #3,661 of 7,725
Some players have their own built-in volume control that can still apply because ASIO makes a more direct link between players and the compass and windows volume control gets cut out of the loop.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why I thought keeping the player volume at 100% is better than say 10%. Is it just additional processing, or are bits lost or something? Actually I just realized, it's bad if you can control one player's volume and not be able to control the volume of many other things because then you'd blow your ears out
tongue.gif
so I'm not interested in finding out the answer anymore lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's going on with those softwares and Asio? Theoretically they should sound the same (with proper configuration), right?

Are there differences in sound quality between ASIO versions? Because I think there is something going on here.
eek.gif

People are still disagreeing about whether these are better than directsound, you are really entering crazy territory when people are talking about ASIO's sounding different.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #3,662 of 7,725
Bravo Curra! That was a really nice summary for us newbies
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3,663 of 7,725
Man - I can't wait to try the Compass! Just picked up some used Senn HD650's w Cardas cable..for $220!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Now, I have to decide which HPs to keep...the 650's or the Grado 325i's
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #3,664 of 7,725
Well if you decide to dump the 650s Ill buy them from ya for $230 =D make $10 profit!

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #3,665 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the Dial on the front panel that goes from USB to Optical to Coax. So how since I have this new sound card, which has all sorts of inputs, two of which are Optical (In/Out) and then the normal plugs for surround sound speakers. Could I essentially run my 2.1 speakers (just has the one output going into the PC currently) in to the Compass and then into the sound card via Optical cable and then just have the dial set to "Opt" when I want to listen to the external speakers and then on the flipside switch it over to USB when I want to use the headphones (with obviously a USB cable going into the PC as well)?

I am just trying to envision how I would/will wire this thing up so I can easily go from my Speakers to my headphones.

You might want to specify what speakers you're using or planning to use. The Compass preamp RCA output jacks can connect to active speakers, such as the Audioengine A5s. The amp does not have enough juice to power passive speakers. If you try, you will fry the Compass! That being said, Kingwa has designed a dedicated amp to pair with the Compass that can drive passive speakers, which will probably be available in the April time frame. Maybe we should start debating panel font and symbol options now!
tongue_smile.gif

The beauty of the Compass is its flexibility and number of connectivity options. If you use USB, then you can bypass the Prelude. If you use Opt or Coax, then the Prelude comes into play. Only your ears can decide what you prefer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole point behind my question was that I am just trying to figure out the best way to switch from the speakers to the headphones and how this all gets wired up. So since the Compass replaces the soundcard when I am listening to headphones, that essentially means that if I have the power off to the DAC then the sound will automatically go through my speakers, but when I have it turned on it will go through the headphones?

If you are using active speakers, you need to turn on the preamp switch (default location is on the rear panel) to output the analog signal to the preamp RCA jacks. If the preamp switch is engaged, I do not believe there will be any signal to the headphone jack. Peete has a test unit with the preamp jacks and can comment. Also, depending what active speakers you may have some high-end units even have their own digital inputs. Of course, that defeats the purpose of buying the Compass and using its processing circuitry.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #3,666 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome writeup. I know that's going to be really useful when I try to convince my friends to buy a compass.

One suggestion is in the "What can it do for me?" add something about the pre-amp function. Yes, this is a headphone forum, so it's not strictly relevant, but I think a post like this has a wider audience. Non-headfiers curious about the compass will stumble on to this post, and it'll help them, and Kingwa, if they know about the preamp. As we've just seen, a lot of this isn't intuitive, especially for the audio newbies at whom Compass is aimed.

Great job, Curra! I concur with edselfordfong that a discussion on the preamp feature of the Compass should be mentioned. As the Compass will be used near many desktop computers, there will be folks interested in having studio monitor speakers on their desks as an alternative to headphone listening. The omission of the preamp out on the 'rushed' first 18 (other than the last minute requests) was one of the reasons I did not pull the trigger on the first batch. Now that the preamp is back on the Compass, it truly is an alternative to the Zero and MORE! Also, you might want to update the thread title to include "Pre-Amp."

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #3,667 of 7,725
Dat Dude,
When i have used USB DACs in the past, upon plugging them in to the USB port and turning them on, the operating system usually finds them and makes them your default sound device. When you unplug, it usually switches back to your sound card. So just the act of turning on the Compass may do the switching you want. I am not presently using my Compass with a computer, so I can't verify that easily, but perhaps another of the "Compass 18" can.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #3,669 of 7,725
Ok, now that Jude has fixed the blogs, I've posted the FAQ here. Please link to that, and not the post I made as the blog entry I'll update as necessary.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #3,670 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there is a post with how to setup media players for ASIO output for Compass, don't know where it is. But here is a simple recommendation from me for Media Monkey.

For Compass using USB, I recommend Media Monkey. Just in case you or someone else hasn't seen.

Reason I didn't recommend Foobar2000, the newest version, something weird is going on. When you use ASIO output, the volume should be disabled. But with the newest version, the volume can't be disabled, software volume up and down. Even when the software volume is all the way up, it's softer than it should be and I think the SQ has been affected. Something seriously wrong, I don't think it's proper ASIO output any more.

The ASIO plugin for Foobar since version .9X just seems wrong to me. I prefer Otachan, and the only way to do that is to use older versions of Foobar and whatnot. If you are going to use Foobar2000, I recommend using the .83 version with Otachan's ASIO plugin. One weird thing about it for me, was that I had to put it in 32 bit sound play back, when ASIO should bypass that option, weird. Also was too much pain in the bum I thought for it to look the way I wanted it to, I'm a little lazy. Media Monkey still can use Otachan pain free.

Monkey Media for now, it's easy to setup and sounds right.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to give all my options a shot.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #3,671 of 7,725
Yep the preamp function is controlled by a toggle switch on the back panel. The idea is to switch the gain to the lowest setting (9db for final rev Compass accessible by another toggle on the back panel) and then engage the preamp/headphone toggle (to preamp out).

That disconnects the headphone output jack from the circuit but allows full Volume control via the front panel pot and on to the analog (preamp) L/R output RCA jacks ----> amp or whatever you have that can use that signal.

Holy cow it's late, I better get an hour and half's sleep before the alarm goes off...
eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #3,672 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cow it's late, I better get an hour and half's sleep before the alarm goes off...
eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Ugh, I dunno how people can do that. If I dont get enough sleep in a 3 day stretch (just need to meet a certain amount over that time ~12 hours), I get literally sick until I finally do go to sleep). I wish I could do the little sleep thing, but no.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #3,673 of 7,725
joeoboe, any idea how the optical output from your western digital media player compares with usb output from a computer through the compass?

deciding between getting the media player or a cheap laptop myself.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #3,674 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's going on with those softwares and Asio? Theoretically they should sound the same (with proper configuration), right?

Are there differences in sound quality between ASIO versions? Because I think there is something going on here.
eek.gif

Just compare yourself.

Foobar2000 .9.6.3 with their ASIO plugin using ASIO4all Drivers. Software volume control all the way up (Still think software volume, What?)

Media Monkey 3.06 with Otachan ASIO .67 (dll) using ASIO4all Drivers. Alll volume control is disabled as it should be.

I guarantee you will hear both volume difference, and SQ difference on the Compass. When I switch from Foobar to Monkey, I have to turn down the knob on Compass from 9 o clock to 8 o clock.

Actually this is not the only thread to have noticed weird stuff with version 0.9.6.3 with Foobar. In the Computer Forums, I've read a few posts recommending using the older versions and even some insults thrown at Foobar programmers way in saying they are being arrogant and stubborn.

Thanks to Haloxt, for those looking for how to setup Foobar .8.3 version here is the link: http://personales.ya.com/angel49/foobar2000_otachan/
The reason why after this point, Foobar has different ASIO than WinAmp and Media Monkey, is because Otachan refused to update the ASIO to work with Foobar.

I would say if I didn't know about Media Monkey, then I wouldn't be complaining about Foobar
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #3,675 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, I dunno how people can do that. If I dont get enough sleep in a 3 day stretch (just need to meet a certain amount over that time ~12 hours), I get literally sick until I finally do go to sleep). I wish I could do the little sleep thing, but no.

music is more nourishing than sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back