The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Dec 24, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #121 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I have no idea what the Moon and Earth part mean...

Audio-GD Discrete OPAs
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #122 of 7,725
The answer to your question can be found on the first post on the first page.

Tthe "sun and moon part" are HDAMS which are discrete transistors meant as an upgrade to replace opamps found in most audio devices.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #124 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by crumplertm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, this is my first post in head fi, but I have been an avid reader and fan of head fi.
o2smile.gif

The compass dac is available for orders now, may I know if this is a worth while upgrade from a zero dac?

I am torn between getting this to replace my zero dac (with moon opa) and a headphone amp (LDMKIII).

Please advice, I am using a beyer dt880 '05 250 ohm most of the time.
frown.gif

Cheers!

I don't think the compass will hit the market before a month, by the looks and what I can gather of compass as of now, it looks like a good upgrade to Zero.
But then, if I was you, I would wait for a while before further upgrading the Zero, till hands on review of the Compass start to come in..

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #125 of 7,725
Thank God!

Quote:

With the help of two jumpers ( don't need any other tool, and will only take around 30 seconds ), users can choice the headphone amp gain at 14DB or 20DB, to suit different sensivity and impedance headphone, [...]

14db is still more than I'll need but it's acceptable. I think I'll definitely get one of those!
smily_headphones1.gif
Hooray!...
biggrin.gif

@ broodwich: I don't know how sensitive the W100 is, but I would guess >=104db and 48Ohm. I'm fine with a voltage gain between 2 and 4, thats around 6 to 12db. But, as I wrote above, 14db will be fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you guys think about the "parallel connection volume control" as upgrade option? Any thoughts?

best regards,
bearmann

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #126 of 7,725
I only just read the updates to the compass page. I think Kingwa has far exceeded what I imagined he'd come up with for this. Sound tuning and gain options, not to mention the discreet and separately usable headphone amp should make this an exceptionally versatile unit.

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #127 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only just read the updates to the compass page. I think Kingwa has far exceeded what I imagined he'd come up with for this. Sound tuning and gain options, not to mention the discreet and separately usable headphone amp should make this an exceptionally versatile unit.

Absolutely Curra, the more I read the more I am amazed at what Kingwa is doing - maybe he is a man with a mission !!

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #128 of 7,725
I really wasn't in the market for spending this much on an amp (I'm only beginning) but I don't think I can pass this up. Looks like it'll be a great product!

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #129 of 7,725
Just read this thread and this is exactly what I have been looking for actually. Just debating whether to bite the bullet and be one of the first buyers or wait for reviews.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #130 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the compass will hit the market before a month, by the looks and what I can gather of compass as of now, it looks like a good upgrade to Zero.
But then, if I was you, I would wait for a while before further upgrading the Zero, till hands on review of the Compass start to come in..

Gee thanks for your advice, I quess I was overly excited to wait for the 1st batch to launch for reviews. Kingwa is really doing a great job tuning the system with his cans. Sadly dt880 wasn't one of the cans he used.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #131 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just read this thread and this is exactly what I have been looking for actually. Just debating whether to bite the bullet and be one of the first buyers or wait for reviews.

Either way, I don't think you will regret - this is my absolute and very strong feeling, and it derives from pure logic.. and of course this isn't only talking because my money is already on it !!!

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #132 of 7,725
I'm going to get one because of all the rave reviews I've read on forums about audio-gd gear. Anyone interested in splitting shipping costs? Hey, I live in the same state as sandchak
tongue.gif
lol.

edit: it just occurred to me, do you think it would be possible for Kingwa to send a big package with smaller packages inside to the post office and have them open it and mail them domestically? I'm not sure what kind of postage he'll need to send a big package to the USA and then using domestic postage to mail smaller packages, but maybe it is cheaper than sending multiple international small packages? Just an idea, I'm not that keen on paying lots of money on international postage lol.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #133 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to get one because of all the rave reviews I've read on forums about audio-gd gear. Anyone interested in splitting shipping costs? Hey, I live in the same state as sandchak
tongue.gif
lol.

Hang on haloxt.. I am from the country Georgia.. but its a great idea to get shipping split in your case, since you are from the US, and I am sure plenty from there would be getting the Compass..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back