The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Dec 23, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #106 of 7,725
24/96 is good enough for me.
I would probably use 44.1/16 bitperfect through coax/optical anyway.

Looks like Kingwa is still tweaking the circuitry for added performance/versatility.
Tweaking the circuitry for bypass mode and adding user selectable sound signature via jumpers.

I'm liking this more and more really.

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #107 of 7,725
Currawong I don't think the claim of better SQ than the zero can be proclaimed until the unit in question has actually been heard by a number of us.....the design and execution of it is clearly a step up from the Zero (then again it's about 25%- 30% more in price so I expect that improvement from the get go), that much is certain...let's wait to hear this unit first before claiming SQ superiority over the HDAM equipped stock Zero.

What I'm really looking forward to is pitting the Compass against the FrankenZERO.

That will be a fun comparison I think
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #108 of 7,725
Actually I was thinking on the same grounds too, but then one should not only consider the cost of the parts required for Franken Zero, but also the labor cost to upgrade, because not everyone in the forum/user has the expertise of Peete (DIY), and I am sure if one considers the labor cost in their respective Country, I am sure the Franken Zero will overshoot the Compass Price. Unless offcourse, someone in China starts rolling out Frankens..

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #109 of 7,725
Thanks everyone for the tutorials on 24bit, DVD-A, and SACD. I'm a noob, which I just made all the more evident.
redface.gif
I suspected 24/192 might not fly over USB. I guess that's restricted to Firewire DACs.

I don't think there is any way to rip a SACD either and I don't plan on bothering to try to rip any DVD-As. I'll probably just download a few tracks or albums here and there from HDTracks. The rest will be ripped to a lossless format from my CD collection at 16/44. I don't see any point in upsampling this content.

So with Kingwa's confirmation that 24/96 is only supported over Optical/Coax on the Compass, the highest output option from from Macbook Pro is the optical out for 24/96 content. For content encoded at 16/44 would it make any difference if I used the USB connection or the Optical? Is one better than the other?

Regardless I still appreciate the inclusion of the USB connection. More flexibility and more options are welcome.

Sorry for derailing this thread with my ignorance. Thanks for your input.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #110 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currawong I don't think the claim of better SQ than the zero can be proclaimed until the unit in question has actually been heard by a number of us.....

Of course not.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just said that it was the idea of the unit. I started this whole thing though so that, I hoped, there would be something worth recommending to people getting started in head-fi, more so than the Zero.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #111 of 7,725
I think it is very fair to "assume" that Compass is far ahead in terms of :

1) Component quality
2) Design and layout
3) and most of all from the manufacturer who has an excellent track record of producing quality equipments.

I mean it is the "upgradation of components" of Zero which takes it into a different level, plus that extra satisfaction of achieving adds to the sound quality (psychological).

It is true that Zero may be a DIYs dream, but then that at the most serves maybe only 10% of the community..

Ultimately I am very keen myself to hear the difference between Franken and Zero.. although I hope this done by a neutral person...

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #112 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by broodwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the tutorials on 24bit, DVD-A, and SACD. I'm a noob, which I just made all the more evident.
redface.gif
I suspected 24/192 might not fly over USB. I guess that's restricted to Firewire DACs.

I don't think there is any way to rip a SACD either and I don't plan on bothering to try to rip any DVD-As. I'll probably just download a few tracks or albums here and there from HDTracks. The rest will be ripped to a lossless format from my CD collection at 16/44. I don't see any point in upsampling this content.

So with Kingwa's confirmation that 24/96 is only supported over Optical/Coax on the Compass, the highest output option from from Macbook Pro is the optical out for 24/96 content. For content encoded at 16/44 would it make any difference if I used the USB connection or the Optical? Is one better than the other?

Regardless I still appreciate the inclusion of the USB connection. More flexibility and more options are welcome.

Sorry for derailing this thread with my ignorance. Thanks for your input.

I suggest the optical, with a proper mini-optical to Toslink cable, as it's silent. I don't think the $2 adapters are much good. I'd try both yourself though. That being said, I haven't tried USB yet with my MacBook Pro.

I had a look on Linn Records. There are only 4 24/192 albums and I doubt you'd notice a difference between 24/96 and 24/192 without some seriously expensive gear.

I set my MacBook Pro to output 24/96, as this is the highest resolution of file I have. Core Audio in Mac OS X upsamples most of my music as a result. After a lot of A/B'ing, I can't discern any difference significant enough for me to split hairs over upsampling vs. not. It's more worth it for me just being able to start up iTunes and play music.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #113 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a look on Linn Records. There are only 4 24/192 albums and I doubt you'd notice a difference between 24/96 and 24/192 without some seriously expensive gear.

Agreed.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #114 of 7,725
@ Currawong:
Are there any news regarding the release date of the Compass?
And could you ask him how much gain the final headamp section will have?!

Thanks.

best regards,
bearmann

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #115 of 7,725
heres the info you require :

1) how much gain the final headphone amp section will have? ---- 17.5DB

2) the release date of the Compass? --- after around 30 days, first 18 units will be for customers test and feedbacks/recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #116 of 7,725
Thank you, sandchak!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) how much gain the final headphone amp section will have? ---- 17.5DB

Well... I'm out, I think. This is way to much for my AT W100.
frown.gif

best regards,
bearmann

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #117 of 7,725
Actually Kingwa is also planning as a final upgrade, to use jumper for headphone gain control between 15 - 20 DB, to suit headphone needs, for example D2000 has 108DB,15DB gain is fine, but HD650 is low, it might need 20DB for better results..

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #118 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... I'm out, I think. This is way to much for my AT W100.
frown.gif

Is that because the ATH-W100 have a higher sensitivity, because they have a lower impedance or both?

Wouldn't any cans sound better through a quality source & amp than say off the headphone jack on your laptop?

How efficient are the W100s, about 100dB?

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #119 of 7,725
Hi, this is my first post in head fi, but I have been an avid reader and fan of head fi.
o2smile.gif

The compass dac is available for orders now, may I know if this is a worth while upgrade from a zero dac?

I am torn between getting this to replace my zero dac (with moon opa) and a headphone amp (LDMKIII).

Please advice, I am using a beyer dt880 '05 250 ohm most of the time.
frown.gif

Cheers!

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #120 of 7,725
Quote:

The first accelerate price is USD250 without shipping charge, with one separate OPA (customers can choice MOON or EARTH , because Compass sound will "Neutral", so SUN maybe not a good choice ), and one power cable, one USB cable, one optical cable. The shipping charge had different price for different country. The Compass pack weight around 4KG.

I have no idea what the Moon and Earth part mean but in either case it sounds like an exciting product offering a lot for a reasonable price. I may just order one as soon as they're available
smily_headphones1.gif

I was wondering, does the final design (or at least current design) have a discrete amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back