The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #5,071 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the Compass + moon/sun on 11th of march and it was shipped on monday.

My order was for Compass + cable and moon/sun on 14 March. It didn't ship.
frown.gif
So, I imagine the cutoff date was right around there.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #5,072 of 7,725
My deadline passed at work, I can now spend some time “playing” during the week
smily_headphones1.gif
My second comparison is AD743 vs. Earth, again with Compass in Neutral and using HD650. It should be noted that my AD743 are somewhat more of a DIY hackjob than most (ref. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/ad7...-8-mod-379561/). They fit the descriptions given in the D1 thread, but I can't guarantee that they sound exactly the same as the DIP-8 version.

AD743 w/HD650: Smooth, fluid, and natural. Overall detail is decent. Highs are crystalline, though not overly bright at all. Bass presence seems just right, neither lacking nor overpowering. Soundstage is spacious, involving, and enveloping; enthralling is an apt word. Initial impressions included concerns regarding bass impact, PRaT, and overall crispness; all of these concerns were dispelled with further evaluation.

Earth w/HD650: I really start to understand where this thing got its name; the sound is robust, and well, earthy. Bass is overpowering in comparison to the 743, though the impact is delightful. PRaT is aggressive and simply joyous. Soundstage is more forward, and somewhat compressed in comparison to the 743.

Conclusion: In my opinion, the AD743 delivers sound of a quality which can directly compete with an HDAM. I would be somewhat hesitant to say this about the AD797. Whether the 743's sound is to an individual's liking, is entirely another matter. The differences between the 743 and Earth in the Compass remind me very much of the 743 vs. 797 in the D1... the former being pleasantly neutral and wholesome, and the latter aggressive with addictive, punchy bass.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #5,073 of 7,725
FYI...
I just fried an LTC6241HV; this chip is not compatible with the Compass. Fortunately, my Compass is fine, and I have a spare 6241 to use in my D1 (it's my favorite for the DAC).

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #5,074 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The theory of burning-in in Soft 2 is that by engaging all the jumpers, you're burning all of the possible modes at the same time, correct? Does that mean that using Neutral will also burn Bright mode, since Bright involves no jumpers at all?

I asked Kingwa this question, and his response is:
If you burn in at Soft2 mode, it can burn in all mode at same time.
If you burn in at Neutral mode, it can't burn in the Soft1 and Soft2 .
After a clarification from Kingwa, his response makes sense to me. Neutral does indeed burn Bright mode too; it just doesn't burn the Soft modes.

EDIT: whoa... mini-flood
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #5,075 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My order was for Compass + cable and moon/sun on 14 March. It didn't ship.
frown.gif
So, I imagine the cutoff date was right around there.

Did you check with Cherry, because I think there should be another shipment on Thursday this week. Yours might be on that one.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #5,076 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked Kingwa this question, and his response is:
If you burn in at Soft2 mode, it can burn in all mode at same time.
If you burn in at Neutral mode, it can't burn in the Soft1 and Soft2 .
After a clarification from Kingwa, his response makes sense to me. Neutral does indeed burn Bright mode too; it just doesn't burn the Soft modes.

EDIT: whoa... mini-flood
biggrin.gif

Makes sense, looking at the diagram on the lid

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #5,077 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you check with Cherry, because I think there should be another shipment on Thursday this week. Yours might be on that one.

Indeed, Cherry confirmed that I have two Compasses leaving thursday!

So, here's my question to the burn-in gurus: Since I'll have two on my hands, I figure that this is a relatively unique opportunity to test burn-in. What do people recommend I do? Keep one unit at 0 hours, while I burn in the other, periodically comparing? Then, when the first one has settled down, burn in the second, again periodically comparing. That would seem to be the obvious method. Any thoughts?

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #5,078 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, Cherry confirmed that I have two Compasses leaving thursday!

So, here's my question to the burn-in gurus: Since I'll have two on my hands, I figure that this is a relatively unique opportunity to test burn-in. What do people recommend I do? Keep one unit at 0 hours, while I burn in the other, periodically comparing? Then, when the first one has settled down, burn in the second, again periodically comparing. That would seem to be the obvious method. Any thoughts?

I think in that scenario the most obvious comparison would be to leave one at 0 hours, burn one in to 400-500 and then listen to them both and see what the differences are. Not sure too many people get that opportunity.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #5,079 of 7,725
Pete! I don't mean to be bothersome but is there still a part III in the works? My compass has shipped and would like something to tide me over
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for putting in so much time for the rest of us.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #5,080 of 7,725
A friend is getting a new Compass too, and mine has 600 hours on Moon + 500 Earth so we will compare both as soon as it arrives. HD600 + K701.
k701smile.gif

I'm still waiting for the part III review, but I think there are good reasons for this delay.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #5,081 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think in that scenario the most obvious comparison would be to leave one at 0 hours, burn one in to 400-500 and then listen to them both and see what the differences are. Not sure too many people get that opportunity.

This sounds like a good approach. Make sure to listen to them both a bit at first, to confirm that they sound the same to start with. If they don't, the later evaluations will be of limited value.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #5,082 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe take one to 400 hours, compare, then take the other to 400 hours, compare again. Then, leave one at 400 and burn-in the other some more. That way I could get a perspective on the later burn-in.

I should probably look over Peete's posts, because he had some observations about burn-in times.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #5,085 of 7,725
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/the...coming-418587/

Now I can't wait to listen to the Beatles in glorious detail and sans headaches with my new Compass! I'll busy myself between receiving the Compass and the release of the remasters by listening to all of My Dr. Ebbetts/Purple Chick/Mirror Spock masters.

I ordered my Compass on March 31st, so hopefully I will be getting good news this thursday...

Oh, and the Beatles news combined with the first glowing reviews of the New Star Trek are making me geek out in delight: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/07/...ams-star-trek/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back